Chicken Hearts

Options
2»

Replies

• divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I always get them with gizzards, which I throw in to water with garlic and other random seasonings for like an hour at a low boil. I let them cool, bag them and keep them in the fridge for snacks.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    My cats love raw meat, so they frequently get chicken hearts cause of all the taurine.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    My dad would fry them, and they were delish! I love fried chicken hearts. Taste a lot like gizzards to me actually.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I was gonna start a 'chicks' hearts' thread in the chit chat forum but Im shy.
  • thebuxompilgrim
    thebuxompilgrim Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You might take raw organ meats, pulse them in the food processor, and freeze them in ice cube trays. Then every time you have a meal that calls for ground meat, also add one or two nutrient-dense organ cubes and spread the healthy goodness over several meals. If you like how they taste, however, by all means, eat them as is!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    What should I do with 'em? Just bought a ****load of 'em because... well... I saw them at the store and they only cost like $2.50

Kali Ma and all that. :smile:

Grind them up with veggies and serve on top of sliced, baked sweet potato chips as nachos.

Organ meat makes the best nachos IMO <3 I haven't used chicken hearts all that much (twice, I think) - I moreso gravitate towards Ox heart.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    i'm probably gonna try a couple tonight and see what happens. marinate them for a bit then sautee 'em up. seems they're good on a grill but a grill is something one typically lacks in a small NYC apartment. :tongue:

bought some chicken feet and backs too - but those are going to be made into stock. gimme that gelatin!

You would so love my bf, I remember my horror when I walked into his apartment and saw a complete pigs head cooking away on his stovetop. He ate the tongue and all, and unfortunately, had me try a bit. *shudder* He loves hearts and livers and does them in stews, I believe.
  • BigJza
    BigJza Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    What should I do with 'em? Just bought a ****load of 'em because... well... I saw them at the store and they only cost like $2.50

Kali Ma and all that. :smile:

Onions..lots of em..maybe some bbq type sauce...**** it...stir fry them *****es
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    organ cubes

can't...get past...cubes...

0_o

anyway, i take chicken scraps and offal and pulse it in my food processor with onion, celery, fennel, sage, and some flaxseed meal to make sausages. i don't have casing, so i generally make patties or meatballs from it. SOOOOO fantastic! and no icky nitrates and fillers to worry about from store bought stuff.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    just sauteed about 10 hearts in bacon fat, s+p, and threw 'em in a spinach salad.

they basically just taste like beef and are more dense than regular meat. all-told though, they're not bad at all!