Quinoa

Options
aimeelou2323
aimeelou2323 Posts: 19 Member
What are your favorite Quinoa recipes? I have never cooked with it before, and I would love some healthy inspiration! :)

Replies

• TinaBina90
    TinaBina90 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just started cooking with quinoa too! Here was my first stab:

I sauteed peppers and onions in some olive oil. Then I added in half of an already cooked sweet potato that I chopped up. I added some salt, pepper, and cayenne for a little heat. I cooked my quinoa, then once it was done I added it in the pan with the peppers onions, and sweet potato. I let everyone hang out for a little bit then I dumped the whole thing on top of a bed of greens. Really tasty and super filling!

I didn't follow a recipe, so you can add in whatever veggies, herbs, and spices you like!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of rice in EVERYTHING.

My favorite, though is faux-tabouleh salad substituting the bulghar wheat with quoinoa. Plenty of lemon juice, tomatoes, and parsley. . .not so much olive oil!
  • nobleammonite
    nobleammonite Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite! Quinoa tabbouleh from allrecipes: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-tabbouleh/

Sometimes I leave out the parsley if I don't have any and it is still delicious. I often leave out the cucumbers too because I can't always handle their texture for some reason...

My tips for quinoa are to 1) make sure you rinse it. I don't care if the package says pre-rinsed, you do NOT want to have any of the bitter coating left on it. The one time I didn't rinse (because the package said pre-rinsed) I got bitter quinoa. So now I'm paranoid. 2) soak it for 30 minutes (not much more) before you cook it - it will cook faster. Mine usually takes 7 minutes after the water boils if it's soaked.

I also like to make "porridge" with leftover quinoa - a bit warmed up in some milk with some dried fruit and nuts and a drizzle of honey.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I make a pizza crust with it and a brownie recipe with it. Delicious.
  • Maribabewhich
    Maribabewhich Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I like Turkey and quinoa meatloaf. I use this as a base recipe -

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/turkey-and-quinoa-meatloaf/

But I only use a teaspoon of hotsauce, add chopped mixed bell peppers and some fresh mixed herbs, and cook the quinoa is no added salt chicken stock for a little more flavor.
  • rjabbe1143
    Options
    My wife has to be Gluten Free, so I cook a ton of stuff with quinoa. Mainly quinoa pasta for spaghetti, etc. Also, it makes the best dough for pizza, cookies, and brownies. Not that I eat a lot of that stuff anymore :)
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I use it in pretty much anything that calls for another grain, particularly rice. I love making this recipe – http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/lemony-orzo-veggie-salad-with-chicken-10000001995687/ – substituting quinoa for pasta (also, I omit chicken but there's no reason for you to do that if you like chicken). Also, I cook it in the rice cooker then stir in some vanilla flax milk, toasted nuts, fruit and cinnamon for a quinoa breakfast cereal.
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I made this earlier in the week and it turned out yummy:

Broccoli & Quinoa Casserole
    http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/blast-from-the-past-with-a-new-twist/

Except I threw in some bits of chicken as well :)
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • beenisafe
    beenisafe Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I've just been cooking it right in my rice cooker and eat it with some grilled chicken and hot sauce for lunch at work all week
  • shanac55
    shanac55 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have just discovered quinoa too. We love it! ...but isn't it fairly high in calories?
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have just discovered quinoa too. We love it! ...but isn't it fairly high in calories?

its not about cals!! its about nutrients :)
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

1/3 of a cup is about 230 calories depending on the brand and its actually a lot of quinoa and very filling.
  • carolinesparkle
    carolinesparkle Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I like Turkey and quinoa meatloaf. I use this as a base recipe -

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/turkey-and-quinoa-meatloaf/

But I only use a teaspoon of hotsauce, add chopped mixed bell peppers and some fresh mixed herbs, and cook the quinoa is no added salt chicken stock for a little more flavor.

This is currently my favourite recipe! I make them in muffin tins rather than as a whole loaf and freeze them so I always have a quick meal ready.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Soak for half an hour then bake at 325 for half an hot. Add to granola
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options

1/3 of a cup is about 230 calories depending on the brand and its actually a lot of quinoa and very filling.
    I'm always confused .. is this 1/3 of a cup UNCOOKED, then eat the whole thing for 230 calories??? AND.. i bought a rice cooker at target, used it once and it died. do you guys recommend getting another?
  • lynzbeaner
    lynzbeaner Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump