Iron and calcium

Options
suki_j
suki_j Posts: 27 Member
I always seem to be well below recommended intakes for calcium and iron. Does anyone have tips on what foods I could add to keep these up, other than fatty things like cheese?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Personally, my doctor recommended a simple multivitamin for me while I'm cutting calories. I just use the Walmart brand one-a-day for women. Guarantees I at least get all my folate, calcium and iron.

I didn't take a multivitamin the first time when I lost most of my weight, and I'm still paying the price for the lack of calcium.
  • mdawson47
    mdawson47 Posts: 51
    Options
    Green leafy veg is good for Iron, or lean meat.
    Some examples are:
    dark-green leafy vegetables, such as watercress and curly kale
    iron-fortified cereals
    wholegrains, such as brown rice
    beans
    nuts
    meat
    apricots
    prunes
    raisins
    For foods rich in calcium try:
    milk, cheese and other dairy foods
    green leafy vegetables, such as broccoli, cabbage and okra, but not spinach
    soya beans
    tofu
    soya drinks with added calcium
    nuts
    bread and anything made with fortified flour
    fish where you eat the bones, such as sardines and pilchards
    I hope that this helps and thank you for the add.:happy:
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    unhulled sesame seeds have a lot of calcium
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I take a supplement. Trader Joes has a women's formula that contains both calcium and iron.

Other than that, string cheese and yogurt are my daily go-tos.

And a good steak for the iron!
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I do sesame bagels and cream cheese for calcium, as well as low fat milk, almond milk and coconut milk yogurt. For iron I do fortified cereal, and what I call my "iron chocolate", it's 'Equal Exchange' brand 'organic very dark chocolate' 35% daily value per serving!
  • suki_j
    suki_j Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys :) especially your comprehensive list mdawson! I'll try some green leafy salads, nuts and sesame seeds
  • SRHelicity
    Options
    You can also just chew a tablet or two of Tums. I have a bottle of Tums Smoothie 750, from which I may chew a tablet or two on a given day depending upon my calcium intake from food. I try to take this with my daily multivitamin since the Tums don't have vitamin D (which helps with calcium absorption).
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    There are many delicious low fat cheese, they are not all skinny versions like the 4% cheddar, some are regular low fat cheese to dip or spread on vegetable or crackers. Look at the labels, you may discover new products too :)
    Another option is to eat sardines with bones for a very rich source of calcium, iron and protein in the same box. Pick them in water or drain them if they are in oil and voilà!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I take an Iron supplement as I really don't like the dark green veg which is highest in iron (my husband keeps putting spinach on my plate every few days which I'll eat, but we're months down the line and it doesn't taste any less like *kitten* that when he started!).

For calcium, we get a calcium fortified bread (Warburtons in the UK) as I've had to cut down on my beloved cheese for a while and I take my tea black.

Seems to meet my requirements on paper but I'll be honest, I didn't realise I was missing anything vital before I started all this and apart from being fat, I didn't feel at all unwell so it's hard to say if it's made a difference! :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I get my calcium from milk, cheese, almond/hazelnut milk, and fortified cereals. I get my iron mostly from red meat, fortified cereals, dark chocolate, pumpkin seeds, lentils etc. Eating a range of fruit & veg helps (especially dark green veg for iron) but they tend to give smaller amounts. I get a bit of both in my multivitamin/mineral and if I'm very low in both, and have calories to spare, I'll have a mug of horlick's or ovaltine, both of which are fortified with micronutrients. For calcium - dairy is a rich source. Unless you have a medical condition that means you should avoid fat - don't be afraid of fat. It is good for you, and is needed for absorption of many micronutrients.

For calcium absorption, make sure you're getting enough vitamin D, and for iron, make sure you're getting enough vitamin C. High levels of polyphenols (found in coffee, tea, chocolate) can affect absorption of iron.

If you go to http://nutritiondata.self.com/ you can search for foods by nutrient, to find foods that you like that have high levels of each nutrient.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    spinach has good amounts of both
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Take a calcium citrate supplement and a women's multivitamin.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Calcium actually interferes with iron absorption, as does coffee and tea. Having Vitamin C with youe high iron foods will help with absorption. It doesn't always work out, but I'd do something like a big spinach salad with peppers and tomatoes (iron +C) for lunch and snack on cottage cheese a couple hours later. Iron from meat is much more easily absorbed than vegetarian sorces and I don't think the calcium and vitamin c timing matters as much with meat.