How many reps should I be doing?

I finally sucked it up and crossed over to the other side - of my gym. Recently I joined a gym and have been doing mostly cardio but wanted to start doing the strength machines. Today, I just sort of went down the row of machines, picking a weight that was difficult but not impossible for me, and kept doing reps until I couldn't. When I got home, I figured that probably wasn't the best idea and downloaded some apps with "pre-loaded" workouts. So, here's my confusion: the apps mostly listed 3 sets of 8 reps but in the gym I was doing mostly 6-8 sets of 8 reps. Is the app too low and I should do more than 3, or should I increase the weight so that I can only do 3 sets? Or does it depend on the area being worked? I'm obviously new to this and would appreciate advice.

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    You could benefit from a program.

What are you goals?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member

This.

FInd a reputable program.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    It depends on the exercise. If its my lower half I aim for 3 repeats of 8-10 and for my upper, I aim for 3-4 repeats of 5 because my upper half is pathetically weak and I just can't do more repeats just yet. I am fairly new to it though and hope to be doing 3 x 10 of everything eventually.

I would actually prefer to do 5 x 5 of everything but except on Sundays, the gym is too busy
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Doesn't really matter. People who do 3 @ low rep ranges are also probably pyramiding the weight.

Let's say you generally feel comfortable lifting 60 lbs benching.

You warm up with the bar.

Add 25 lbs do reps until you feel looser

add another 10

keep doing this until you hit your 60 lb benching and then go back down 50, 40, 30

It doesn't really matter how you stimulate the muscles whether you lift heavy as F or you prefer hypertrophy rep ranges. I think people don't realize that 3 sets isn't all people are doing. They might do 3 sets flat bench, then they do 3 sets inclined bench, 3 sets decline bench, 3 sets dumb bell versions after the bar, then 3 sets cable crosses etc. If you're only doing one exercise for a body part you should probably up the sets regardless of your reps.
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    As in overall or specifically? Overall, I just want to tone and be strong. I'm tired of asking the guys to lift things for me at work and strong is sexy. I'm not really worried about being bulky, I don't think I could be if I tried. Specifically, I haven't set numbers to my exercise goals. I just started formally working out, I guess you could say, so I haven't yet listed: 100 lbs and 4 reps for this, 30 mins at 5 mph for that, etc. It could also be that I don't know an ideal goal for those sorts of things :ohwell:
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member

This.

FInd a reputable program.

Such as?
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    As in overall or specifically? Overall, I just want to tone and be strong. I'm tired of asking the guys to lift things for me at work and strong is sexy. I'm not really worried about being bulky, I don't think I could be if I tried. Specifically, I haven't set numbers to my exercise goals. I just started formally working out, I guess you could say, so I haven't yet listed: 100 lbs and 4 reps for this, 30 mins at 5 mph for that, etc. It could also be that I don't know an ideal goal for those sorts of things :ohwell:
    You can't get bulky because you don't really have the testosterone levels as a female and all you need to do is progressively overload and properly stimulate muscle to see gains.

There are programs that have high rep weeks and low rep weeks the theory is one builds muscle and the other week you focus on strength... all you need to do is push yourself, feel the correct muscles contracting without the weight straining your joints.
  • Your goal reps and sets are a factor of where you're headed. Not sure where you're at, so... reps are repetitions, and sets are groups of repetitions. You will frequently hear "I'm working 3 sets of 12 reps", etc.

Ultimately, you need to decide what you're trying to do in reshaping your body, and that will drive your decision. Higher reps / more sets / lower weight is the formula for toning and conditioning, but not really for adding mass. Lower reps / fewer but more intense sets / higher weight is the path to adding more muscle.

Remember, of course, that adding a bit more muscle increases metabolism, so you don't have to shoot for "huge" to have a meaningful impact across the board.

A good and common formula for adding a bit of mass is 8 x 6 x 4, where you're doing three sets of diminishing reps. The weight used is "how much can you push while maintaining proper form and barely complete the reps?". This will push you to use the highest weight, and will show the quickest gains.

For toning / conditioning, 3 x 12 is genearlly used, where the weight is what you can push to maintain form and finish all three sets.

The "maintain form" is really the secret. Doing it wrong only hurts, both physically and your progress.

Really, the best advice is to work once or twice with someone that can really show you the ropes, and then dig in and have fun!! Good luck!
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    get yourself a copy of "The New Rules of Lifting For Women". It's an excellent program for beginner lifters. I've had a lot of success with it.