Replies

• shosho420
    shosho420 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    What do you do about crunchy knees?
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I take glucosamine and cod liver oil capsule or two every night. I find it helps me. Sometimes I have the ones with Chondroitin and or MSM (?) too, but they give me horrible gas. I guess it depends what's giving you the pain. In the long run, it's losing excess weight that helps the most.
  • aschlenkre
    Options
    I started using it a month ago and it works wonders! A co-worker and I could feel a difference after only 3 days of use. I would recommend using it.
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    In my opinion Brazil Butt lift can cause serious injuries. That guy doesn't even execute the moves properly. I was really excited about doing that workout routine because I'm a dancer and I love that kind of stuff but after watching the video and trying it I realized it was an injury waiting to happen. Be careful.

thats when it started I have been running since NOv with no trouble then all of a sudden after doing a few BBL videos this week I have pain think I wont do it anymore
  • tammymusic1
    Options
    I used to take an envelope of knox gelatine a day. Put one packet of the gelatine in about 1/3 cup of cold water in a coffee cup, allow this to sit while you bring 3/4 cup of water to a boil. Pour boiling water over the soaking gelatine, stir well and drink. I saw a marked improvement in my bad knee about the 4th day in drinking this.

I will add, the gelatine is much more cost effective than the glucosamine, and it works much faster. You will pay anywhere from 2.99-1.25 for a box of 4 packets depending on where you shop, or at wal-mart a box of 32 packets is a little over 6 bucks.

I will have to try this. I remember my mom using this when I was a kid.
    I have to wear shoes too because I have bad arches and planters fasciitis

Me too! Have you done any exercises for this? There are two things that have worked fairly well for me, 1) roll a tennis ball under the foot for a few minutes in all ways you can. or 2) fill a glass bottle with warm water, (but not too warm!) and gently roll under the arch. The warmth really loosens things up and relaxes the foot. I like to try stretching my feet after this. I only use a glass bottle because plastic is not sturdy enough. I have been trying to come up with a comparable replacement for the glass bottle.

yes I have even had shots in my feet and since loosing weight they have gotten better till today when I went running I was compensating for the knees and my right foot started hurting again. Been icing it all day today.
  • rickybluntjr
    rickybluntjr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements work great. Any runner or weight lifter should take it daily. It may take a week before you start feeling a difference.
    033001 Posts: 5
    Options
    I work in Pharmacy and it either does or doesn't work. You need to try it for at least 3 weeks. if it hasn't worked by then then it will not help you. Anouther thing to try is some pure cherry juice. Many people have found success in that as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    From research that I've recently read, the glucosamine/chondroitin supplementation has a very very mild effect on joint treatment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Glucosamine isn't designed to help you heal from specific injury or strain the way, for example, tylenol fixes a headache. But it does provide a benefit over time. Think of it like calcium. You wouldn't expect taking calcium to rapidly heal a broken bone. But you WOULD expect that taking calcium over time will make your bones less likely to break, and aid in healing if they do.

For joint pain, I'd try Xyflamend, and over-the-counter supplement made by New Chapter. It helps with inflamation and pain, and can be fantastic for things like arthritis and plantar fascitis.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I tried glucosamine..... after months of taking it, I stopped. Never did a thing for my knees. I decided it's better to just not run and save my knees for other means of exercise.
  • TastesLikeChicken
    TastesLikeChicken Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Having done a couple marathons, I've noticed my knees will bother me when I either start increasing mileage or if I'm nearing the time to buy a new pair of shoes.

This will sound odd but something that has almost always helped is to do leg extensions with light weight but a lot of reps. 3 sets of 30 for each leg. It strengthens the quads and tightens up the muscles around the knee cap. Usually a couple days of doing this and my knee pain will go away.

I've tried Glucosamine and didn't feel it did anything for me.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I work in Pharmacy and it either does or doesn't work. You need to try it for at least 3 weeks. if it hasn't worked by then then it will not help you. Anouther thing to try is some pure cherry juice. Many people have found success in that as well.

I have taken Glucosamine/Chondroitin for over two years, no improvement honestly. I have had two baker's cyst this year and going to ortho again for 3rd times this year. The worst trouble I has was with BBL, past cross country runner in my 20's, and have arthiritis on my knees but R knee is more affected. I was trying to complete my 30 day bikram yoga and developed a 2nd baker's cyst after my 20 day and was trying to stay strong. Stop 2 days ago. I have taken 2 months off exercise couple times this year. I am an active 40 yo but most of exercise had to be mat workout, pilates, walking no incline. Yoga is out due to squats and lunges hurt tremendously.

I am definitely will try cheery juice.
  • tammymusic1
    Options
    Glucosamine isn't designed to help you heal from specific injury or strain the way, for example, tylenol fixes a headache. But it does provide a benefit over time. Think of it like calcium. You wouldn't expect taking calcium to rapidly heal a broken bone. But you WOULD expect that taking calcium over time will make your bones less likely to break, and aid in healing if they do.

For joint pain, I'd try Xyflamend, and over-the-counter supplement made by New Chapter. It helps with inflamation and pain, and can be fantastic for things like arthritis and plantar fascitis.
    oh thank you will check thisout
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

I have taken Glucosamine/Chondroitin for over two years, no improvement honestly. I have had two baker's cyst this year and going to ortho again for 3rd times this year. The worst trouble I has was with BBL, past cross country runner in my 20's, and have arthiritis on my knees but R knee is more affected. I was trying to complete my 30 day bikram yoga and developed a 2nd baker's cyst after my 20 day and was trying to stay strong. Stop 2 days ago. I have taken 2 months off exercise couple times this year. I am an active 40 yo but most of exercise had to be mat workout, pilates, walking no incline. Yoga is out due to squats and lunges hurt tremendously.

What do you do for your bakers cysts? Did they go away?
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options

What do you do for your bakers cysts? Did they go away?

Yes and no depending on the size and discomfort. Sometimes, a cyst can be drained (aspirated) and surgery if it t becomes very large or causes symptoms. For me, I am hoping to get it drained and stop exercise..
  • EOHerrera
    EOHerrera Posts: 45
    Options
    They need to rate workouts for age. LOL

I am just not convinced that every move is very every person, unlike Jillian. Her weighted lunges in 3DS killed my recovering knees and the lower back lifts for abs killed my lower back. I'm in pretty decent shape, and I think you have to know what works for you and what is doing more harm than good.

I

I couldn't agree more with this post! I was doing great, even running at 6 mph for 2 minute intervals with 3 minutes in between at a 3.5/4 mph jog - until I did Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. Three days into it and my knees were absolutely killing me - and my right one has never recovered from the injury! Not a day goes by that I don't have problems with it and I'm beginning to wonder if I will ever be able to run again, much less increase my running like I was hoping to before 30DS.

So be very careful. Jillian Michaels may "think" she knows what she's talking about, even with her huge success, but the truth of the matter is, this post is very accurate when they say not every exercise is for every person!