DO NOT LIFT IF YOUR OVERWEIGHT EVER!!!!

2»

Replies

• stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Lift 3x wk full body and eat for fuel. Progress will follow!

Edit: check my before after photos on my profile.. Same weight smaller size! Weights and fuel!

Wow, looked at pics, I didnt think it was possible to be the same weight and look that different! Thank you!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    BTW..I should also add this!!!! Most men, on average burn appx 2,000 cal's, and they say women typically burn around 1,800, more or less. I recently purchased the body media gadget, they use on the biggest loser. It's supposed to be very accurate. It measures cal's burned 24hours/day, based on changes in body temp, and other scientific things. Lol. Measuring from 12a-12a, it says I have burned appx 2,500 cal's today!!! I did work last night, and was on my feet a good part of the night, and slept about 5 hours during the day, but other than that, cleaning house, and taking care of my 18mo old, I did NO exercise! I usually burn anywhere from 500-900 cal's doing zumba 1 hour, 3x's/week, and I don't even do machines/weights that often, or that long, but I do have a good bit of muscle on me, and that raises metabolism!!! :wink: How's that for incentive? Lol. :happy: Get lifting!
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    I just want to add a couple of other benifits to lifting. Strong muscles inmprove your posture and appearance. Even if you have fat covering them. Muscle can help you move more in everyday life, and in cardio workouts. Yes you will build leg strength walking etc, but if you lift, in general you have the potential to walk for longer. This is what I found when starting out. I wasn't supre heavy, but weights did help me move more. Good luck, and anything that improves your health is important.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    When people don't lift while they diet down they go OH **** by the end and start lifting. I rather skip the self realization I still look like **** even at the "goal" weight.

I lift 5-6 days a week with light cardio after each session + 1 full cardio day with 1 rest day.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    I lift and train with kettlebells on the days in between.

What the person said about losing weight in strange spurts has been my experience, too. I definitely lose weight, but it isn't in any really predictable way at this point. I will drop three or four pounds suddenly, then the scale won't move for weeks, despite me doing everything correctly. For me, it's ok. I see my body changing, and that is what I ultimately want, not some arbitrary number on the scale.

If you're going to be hung up on what the scale says on a daily or even weekly basis, you probably shouldn't lift, because you could end up losing motivation. If you can get over the scale readings, then by all means, LIFT!

Use a solid beginner's lifting program based around the compound lifts, join some MFP groups for help/encouragement, and enjoy!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    Lift 3x wk full body and eat for fuel. Progress will follow!

Edit: check my before after photos on my profile.. Same weight smaller size! Weights and fuel!

Wow, looked at pics, I didnt think it was possible to be the same weight and look that different! Thank you!

Pretty amazing difference!!
  • helcart01
    helcart01 Posts: 46 Member
    bump to read later
  • I lift, mainly been using fixed weights but am just starting to venture into free weights. I don't lift heavy as I am focusing on my form first then will build from there, got to crawl before you can run as they say.

I lose around a kilo (2.2lbs) a week. Not sure if that anwers you, feel free to FR me or MSG me any further questions :)
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    bump
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    I lift and train with kettlebells on the days in between.
    What the person said about losing weight in strange spurts has been my experience, too. I definitely lose weight, but it isn't in any really predictable way at this point. I will drop three or four pounds suddenly, then the scale won't move for weeks, despite me doing everything correctly. For me, it's ok. I see my body changing, and that is what I ultimately want, not some arbitrary number on the scale.
    If you're going to be hung up on what the scale says on a daily or even weekly basis, you probably shouldn't lift, because you could end up losing motivation. If you can get over the scale readings, then by all means, LIFT!
    Use a solid beginner's lifting program based around the compound lifts, join some MFP groups for help/encouragement, and enjoy!

QFT

Since starting weight training two months ago the pounds have not come off but the inches have and my bodyshape has changed. I'll take inches and smaller dress size over pounds any day of the week.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    I have a buddy on Fitocracy who is in the process of trying to lose over 100 lbs. He lifts via Rippetoe methods (began with SS) and has seen steady, measurable weight loss for over a year, with very little cardio and incredible strength gains.
  • CactusF1ower
    CactusF1ower Posts: 174 Member
    I'm new to lifting and I didn't have that 100lbs to lose, but I posted your thread in my feed to see if my more experienced/knowledgeable lifiting friends could help you out.

I will not claim to know everything, but here's what I think I've learned in the past week. Lifting while eating up to 300cal under TDEE will allow for weight loss. Lifting while losing is a good idea so that you don't lose your lean body mass along with your body fat. Lifting is great for burning fat because it burns for awhile after working out. Make sure that your protein intake is good if you are eating at a deficit because your muscles need that in order to repair well. If you have that far to go still, I'd throw in a bit of cardio between lifting days. It's a good idea to eat more on lifting days than on the rest days, but if you're also doing cardio then you probably want to take that into account too. A post workout shake is enough to handle those extra calories. Here's a link that has my current workout routine of cardio circuit training 3 times a week, lifting 3 times a week, and 1 rest day: http://lifeofrose.wordpress.com/category/downloadables/health-and-fitness/.
    Thanks for the site!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Marg - wow, great results.

OP - in my experience, lifting while still having a lot of fat to lose has resulted in me losing 15kg and a good percentage of fat, while retaining my muscle mass. I've gone from being classed as obese, to now overweight, but am really starting to see significant changes. If it was a matter of doing weights over cardio, I would always chose my weights programme - that, plus walking is all I need to get to my goal.

Don't be scared to lift, yes you will lose on the scale, but it might be a bit more slowly than you would like. However, when the fat is gone, you will have an awesome body revealed underneath! Just do it :)
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    this is an awesome question and one I have been wondering about too but wasn't sure how to ask it. Thanks for finding the words!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member
    I started lifting when I had 80 - 90lb to lose. I didn't feel it stalled my weight loss, but I didn't feel it helped either. To be honest, I feel it's a separate THING to weight loss. I wanted to do strength training for a number of reasons, none of which were weight-related, for instance, I wanted to preserve muscle, to protect against osteoporosis, to make daily activities easier through being stronger, etc. I was keenly aware that as you get older (maybe something you don't have to worry about yet!) your muscle starts to waste away and that dieting also makes you lose some muscle and I felt that strength training would help me fight against that process.

Another benefit of lifting is that you CAN do it quite successfully when you're fat. Just have a look at weight lifters in the top weight categories, or even some strongman/strongwomen competitors, and you'll see that bulk, in itself, is not an obstacle. So while I felt I was crap at anything cardio, I could see myself making progress with lifting and that was very satisfying.

I now do limited heavy lifting (I'm not going to the gym) mixed with some bodyweight training. I know some people would say it's best to lose the weight quickly, then do the strength training once you're closer to your ideal, but that didn't seem the best thing for me. By starting early I have (according to my body fat scales) preserved all my LBM and only lost fat. But also, I just love the feeling of being stronger, and it DOES make life easier.