High protein, lower carb diet

Options
Has anyone who does a lot of running or basically a lot of cadio tried to go high protein and low carb and found that you had enough energy to sustain you thoughtout your workout? I'm worried that if I do change my diet that I won't have a lot of energy for my workouts. Thanks!

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program and I notice more energy, but I wasn't a regular exerciser to begin with. Why don't you just eat more carbs right before your workout in the form of fruits or veggies with higher carb content. The first week while I was "coming off" sugar I had the carb flu, so I wouldn't suggest going by that. If you do try lower carb, I would let your body work itself out for about a week before I made any decisions about energy and requirements as far as carbs go.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I run 6 mi per day and try to go for a long run on at least one weekend day (9+ miles). Low carbs and high protein fuel my best running days! I know we hear all this stuff about carb loading but whenever I have a high carb day, I have a terrible run the following day. Carbs rob my energy and I feel the exertion of a run. (I run first thing in the morning on the previous day's fuel.) On days following high protein and low carb, I fly! My runs are effortless and my times are great. I also notice that when I eat sugars, I sweat much more and my body temp is higher.

So, my experience is that high carbs kills my running. I am MUCH better with high protein and low carbs with regard to running. (My best marathons were after maintaining this regimen. However, DURING marathons, I start taking Gu at mile 6 and continue with Gu through the 20s).