running rash/ irritation?

Options
I've just started jogging in the evenings, and I have developed a rash under my arm(s) (its to a lesser degree under my left arm). I think its from where my arm rubs against my t-shirt when I jog - is there anyway to try and stop this?

I really want to stick with it and am super proud of how well I am improving so I don't want the irritation to hinder my progress. Any tips/ ideas/ suggestions?

Replies

• pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Body Glide anti-chafe stick works great
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I use aquaphor instead of body glide because as a mother of a young child with skin issues, I have tubs of it around at all times so I haven't seen the need to buy another product.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Aquaphor, or as my kids now call it "butt chapstick!" Make sure you get the Aquaphor "healing ointment," as they make some other lotions as well.

You can also buy generic stick deodorant (99 cent store) and use it in non-sensitive areas.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same problem! But then I used calendula lotion to treat the rash and started wearing yoga pants. They are amazing :happy:
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    good old vasoline
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I've always just worn tighter fitting shirts and shorts to avoid this. I never had it on my arms, but prior to wearing things like spandex/lycra shorts, I would get rashes on my thighs.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I get rashes on my thighs once I start to work up a sweat. It's oh so painful. I'm going to look into Body Glide since I keep seeing posts about it :)
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have used body glide and vaseline, but my favorite is Lanacane Anti-chafing gel. I have some badly stained shirts from using vaseline on my chest. The lanacane seems to be as effective without the stains. We'll see how it goes as it warms up and my runs get longer. Aquaphor is great, too.

Good luck!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Body Glide anti-chafe stick works great

second that!! I use it and it works like a charm.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Hey every one,

thanks so much for the replies! I feel much firmer in my resolve to continue

@ArtGeek22 - yoga pants may be great but the rash is on my arm!