Using phone ap?

Options
Hi there. Im embarrassed to admit this but I am really behind the times with technology. I am intrigued by the idea of using the phone ap to track my intake easily during the day however at the moment I have a very basic samsung phone and undoubtedly this is not the type that you can use the ap on. Am considering upgrading my phone in order to be able to use the ap. Can anyone tell me if it is really completely free to use my fitness pals food and exercise tracking ap - as in no associated charges... and also what is the cheapest type of phone i can use to access these? I have to be honest I dont even know what a smart phone, android or iphone is!

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It's free. Sparkpeople or w/e used to be free, but now it's not.

I feel like the app is more convenient than the website except app doesn't allow for forum interface really. I'm not entire sure if there is an ipod touch version, but smart phones force you into a data plan. Smart phones tend to be cheap because phone companies don't make money on phones.. they make them on the annual contracts. 30/month is usually standard smart phone charge.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    ok
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have a smartphone via Virgin Mobile. I pay 35/month for 300 talk time minutes which I barely use (not a big phone talker) but I get unlimited texting and data which I use ALL the time. So it works out pretty well for me. The only downside was/is that I had to buy my phone outright (no upgrades). I have the LG Optimus Elite android. It's exactly the same model that Sprint and Tmobile sell.

And I love that I can check in via the app.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have the iphone 4s & I love the app. Its true you don't have the forums but the one thing you do have is a bar code scanner which makes logging food super fast & easy. I can't tell you about the data package thing, I'm not a big tech person so I don't know if its using my data package or not. I too had an old samsung, basic phone & upgraded about 6 weeks ago & haven't regretted it one bit!! There are a lot of really great fitness apps & diet apps too.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    ^YES! I forgot about the bar code scanner.. I love the bar code scanner! When my husband first showed me that feature, I ran around my kitchen looking for food just so i could scan it lol.
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I use the app on my Ipod Touch even out and about (meaning no wifi) and most standard food items or items Ive entered before will still be available even without the Wifi, making it super convinient. Only thing that does not work without wifi is friend interaction, but I don't need that when Im out, I just need to know what Im putting in :)
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    ^YES! I forgot about the bar code scanner.. I love the bar code scanner! When my husband first showed me that feature, I ran around my kitchen looking for food just so i could scan it lol.

OMG! I did the same thing. lol. what a couple of nerds. haha
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I love the phone app. It does use data if you aren't connected to wifi. I have a plan through Straight Talk and for $45 a month I get unlimited everything (talk, text, & data).
  • ordnaj3la1
    ordnaj3la1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED to get a phone, you could just buy an iPod touch. You can have some games in there, music, videos, and MyFitnessPal. Simple as that (y)
  • AA1ex
    AA1ex Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It is completly free, it was the first app I downloaded before even knowing about the website. I think way easier to use than the website but you cannot view the message boards ( at least not on the iphone 3idk about more recent phones) the barcode scanner is awesome for things that either take forever to find or in my case, too lazy to type stuff in! haha.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Im embarrassed to admit this but I am really behind the times with technology. I am intrigued by the idea of using the phone ap to track my intake easily during the day however at the moment I have a very basic samsung phone and undoubtedly this is not the type that you can use the ap on. Am considering upgrading my phone in order to be able to use the ap. Can anyone tell me if it is really completely free to use my fitness pals food and exercise tracking ap - as in no associated charges... and also what is the cheapest type of phone i can use to access these? I have to be honest I dont even know what a smart phone, android or iphone is!

I totally know where you're coming from. I got my first smartphone last spring, but that was actually how I discovered MFP. There's no charge associated with it, but there are small, non-intrusive ads. You may be able to go with a lower-end data plan (mine's $20 per month), if you have a wireless router at home. You can set it to always connect to your wifi when in range, then you'd only be using your data plan while your away from home (though there are tons of places with free wifi as options, too).

As far as the cheaper part, I'd look at what your carrier has available. They all have fairly good deals on fantastic phones. I use AT&T, and I got my Samsung Galaxy S2 for $50. I absolutely love my phone. I don't have a lot of money, but it's not too difficult to afford a phone you'll really enjoy, and use a whole lot. I'd start by looking for features you like, and go from there. I would recommend against paying for separate navigation, though. Google maps has it free, and it's better than what AT&T & Verizon make you pay for.
  • tcyork2023
    Options
    I have a android. Love the phone app it is so easy. It is totally free app