Do you believe that everyone can get fit?

Options

Replies

• kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    no, some people wont on purpose
  • lockmand
    lockmand Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes, 80% good nutrition program (what you put into your body) and 20% good exercise program (what you put out with your body).
  • harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=356052101171129

Watch this video and your question would be answered.
  • ZekeK
    ZekeK Posts: 7
    Options
    I believe everyone can be fit, but what that looks like for everyone is different. Our bodies have natural "resting points", when we hit a weight or state of living and become comfortable and acclimate to such a size, weight, muscle mass, fitness, etc. and it takes real time to change this because we're basically walking biomes -- you don't grow a garden over night, especially if what change you're trying to bring to the region is new and foreign.

Interestingly enough, blue zones (regions in the world that have populations living 100+ year lives) don't exercise solely to be healthy. Health and fitness relies much on the environment and intake of food, and much of their exercise comes from doing things they love or are a routine -- house work, gardening, and more. It is an interesting thing to look at and supplement your workouts with things that have outside rewards (like a garden, clean house, or rearranging furnature, etc).
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm a 65 year old grandmother and I am making myself fitter than I ever was before. I'll never be an athlete but I am making a difference!!

Here, here! Barb, you took the words right out of my mouth, except I'm 62! :bigsmile:
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Everyone can improve their fitness if they really want to. I have lots of health problems and my flexibility is poor. I couldn't bend over and touch my toes 4 months ago but now I can. 3 months ago I couldn't hold a plank pose but now I can. I plan to continue finding challenging exercises that I know I could be capable of and practicing them until I can do them successfully.

The more you do something that you find challenging, the easier it will become.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    But while I feel I made progress the first couple of months I can't see any improvements over the last year even though I am pushing hard. If I push too much I just end up getting sick - tonsillitis and the likes.
    If you are getting sick then you are pushing too hard. If you saw improvements early and then they stopped then you have overwhelmed your body's ability to adapt to the training because you are pushing too hard.

Yes anyone can get fit with proper training. From your description, you are not doing proper training. If you are doing a trainer's program then you might either need to get a new trainer or get some books on proper training.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Btw, when I talked about progress I referred to progress in my exercise performance. I lost a fair amount of weight by eating healthier.

It is pretty difficult to make physical gains if you have been eating at a deficit.

This. I saw large improvements in cardiovascular fitness during the 9 months or so it took me to lose the weight, but I felt like I was just treading water on general muscle strength. Then for more than a year after reaching my maintenance weight I slacked off on strength training as I ramped up the cardio. I love running, and if running a half marathon at age 59 and actually finishing is considered fit, then yeah, I was fit. But I wasn't strong. For the last couple of months I've eaten at a small surplus, cut back on my running, and rededicated myself to some serious strength training. I'm making progress this time.
  • lessjl
    lessjl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i agree w/all who say you can! also, i agree it's gotta be the diet. i am in the same boat. i work out 4-5 hours/week and burn 2500-3k cals. but i hadn't lost weight in several years until i started tracking what i eat here at this site. there's a sign at my gym that says "you get fit at the gym, but you lose weight in the kitchen." i've found that to be true!

best of luck!

jeri lynn
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Yes, everyone can get fit. There is no single standard for what that means. You don't have to be an athlete, or get thin, or look like a model. You're only excused if you have Lou Gehrig's disease or something like that.
  • QuHeCTiC24
    QuHeCTiC24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Only a sith deals in absolutes

Possibly the greatest advice/forum post in the history of the interwebs.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    There is no such a thing as a body not meant to be "sporty". If you're talking about being physically active, your assumption is completely false coz as a matter of fact, our bodies are designed to sweat, puff and move more. Of course not everyone is meant to be an athlete but certainly everyone can get fit.

Note that being fit =/= thin. There is a HUGE difference between the two.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a natural tendency to be better at somethings than others, but we all have basically the same potential for everything. So if you don't have a natural tendency for it you will have to work harder, you will have more mental roadblocks, and you'll have to push yourself more than anyone who's naturally athletic. But you can do it. Just like people who aren't naturally "book smart" can still learn chemistry if they put in the work. They might not win the nobel prize, but they'll be competent.

You might not win the Boston marathon, but you can still develop athletic competence and if you train hard enough you'd be able to run a marathon some day.

I've learned that athleticism is less about what you can do, and more about how hard you can work.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    our bodies aren't made to sit around all day. our bodies are made to be up and moving. yes everyone can get fit if they push hard enough.
    '

Just because civilization and society has fooled you into thinking that it's okay to sit around and watch cartoons all day, doesn't mean they are right. Were meant to be powerful creatures, we are the apex predator on this world, and the women are just damn gorgeous when they make it happen. Silly reasons? Maybe, but they're mine!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    YES! EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE, can get fit. Do you have to get ripped and have all super low bodyfat to be fit? Hell no. Being fit is being healthy and our bodies WANT that more than anything.

If you get sick from training you are either pushing yourself too hard for your level, not eating the right foods (hence not getting the proper nutrition, not enough food) or a combo of both.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I was a couch potato all my life. Even as a kid I rather hid in the corner reading a book than doing exercise.

For two years now I am trying to get fitter. Started running, going to the gym regularly and hired a personal trainer. But while I feel I made progress the first couple of months I can't see any improvements over the last year even though I am pushing hard. If I push too much I just end up getting sick - tonsillitis and the likes.

Do you believe everyone can get really fit with the proper training? Or are some bodies are just not made for being sporty?

What are you looking for fitness wise? If you call fitness being able to go to the zoo with the kids without getting tired then I bet you are fit. If you are looking to run a marathon, then you have to train specifically to run a marathon but you could do it. If you are looking to compete in a fitness competition then you train specifically for that...diet and exercise wise.

will you ever be sporty like an olympian? Nope, likely not.
    Will you be able to enjoy an active lifestyle with hiking, walking, biking, helping neighbors move without getting sore....sure thing.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    You can do whatever you put your mind to!!! I've been big since I was a little kid too, n now I'm the thinnest I've ever been! You just have to find what it is that works for you! Remember, muscle burns cal's n increases metabolism!!! For me, it was zumba, lifting, and learning about healthy eating. I literally had no clue when I started! Good luck OP! Add me if you like. :smile:
  • LoonyLovegood8
    Options
    Yep! If you want it bad enough and you're willing to work your butt off for it.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Anyone can get fit, only one person is stopping someone from getting fit and that is the person
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    However still dreaming about doing a half marathon one day... (the longest I could run so far was 12 km )
    There are two primary causes for someone not continually improving in their running ability.

Its either:
    1. Running too fast all the time
    or
    2. Not enough miles
    or
    3. Both