Do you think my calf size can decrease?

Options
I've fallen in love with a pair of wellington boots. The only problem is that their calf circumference is listed at 39 cm and I'm at 41 cm, I tried them on today and they do not fit (wearing 15DEN tights so practically bare skin). To wear them with skinny jeans tucked in or similar I'm guessing I'd want a circumference of 37 cm at most.

I weigh 98.5 kg right now and I'm looking to lose about 20kg more - however I have not tracked my calf size as I have been losing so I have no idea if my calves have shrunk or if they are likely to. I do a fair amount of running and yoga and I have noticed that my calves are a lot "sharper" looking and defined these days but I wouldn't say they look any smaller than when I weighed 140kg.

I understand that I can't spot reduce, what I'm looking for here is experience from the rest of you - have your calves shrunk? Did you replace the fat with muscle but stayed the same size? What size are your calves at their widest point (esp. ladies around 5'9"/176cm)?

Replies

• wiseeliz
    wiseeliz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem, sadly with a pair of boots I already own! I haven't taken any measurements but in the ~3 months since I started working out regularly and changing my diet, I've noticed that my calves have slimmed down a bit (along with the rest of me). I can now almost get them zipped with skinny jeans underneath. I guess I'd say keep doing what you're doing, even if the boots don't work out, it's worth it! Good luck!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought calf-high boots in years- I'm average weight but I've been into running, swimming and bicycling all my life and my calves have definite muscles that just don't fit into skinny boots. I had one pair that fit in the 1970s and I lost them at some point.

I really wish manufacturers would stop trying to save a few bucks and make their boots a little wider.
  • jennifertalcott
    jennifertalcott Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have this same very frustrating problem. I, too, am around 5'8" or 5'9" tall, big-boned, and wear a size 11 shoe (US sizing). At my very thinnest, I weighed about 140 lbs. and wore a size 8 (again, US sizing) in clothes, and that was the ONLY time I could buy any sort of tall boots and have them fit my calves. At that weight, people were starting to tell me I was too thin, so it's not like I really had much more weight I could lose and still look healthy. My calves were around 16 or 16 1/2" at my lowest weight, which translates to around 40.5 to 42 cm. But before I got down to 140 lbs., they were around 17 1/2 to 18", so I definitely lost weight in my calves as I lost weight everywhere else.

However (and this may be critical), I was not running back then. I was doing a lot of walking, horseback riding, barn chores, and general outdoor activity, so I was burning calories, but my calves weren't necessary getting the same workout that they do with running.

I am currently working on losing weight again, and I am doing some running. So it will be interesting to see if my calves shrink enough to fit into tall boots again.

Some wellingtons do come in wide-calf widths--but they're harder to find than regular width wellingtons, and of course there aren't as many options for colors, patterns, etc.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    absolutley! I lost 1# in each calf doing 30 Day Shred
  • wozniaks
    wozniaks Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have huge calves as well and good news additionellle and pentingtons now carry boots with wider calves there abit pricey but they fit.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have lost an inch and a half in each of my calves.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I have lost some inches off my calves. But I also know that I'll never be able to wear knee high boots. Even when I was 120 lb and relatively low body fat, I couldn't wear high boots - it's just the way my calves are shaped. :sad:
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    When I take measurments next I'll let you know. I've added a lot of walking to my day and my calves are definitely tightening up- but I'm not sure if they're smaller.
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Absolutley! I have lost a couple inches in my calves by running and 30DS. I had a pair of boots I couldnt even attempt to get on but now they fit albeit slightly snug than I'd like.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh yes your calf size can definitely decrease. When I first started at 215, there was no way I could wear cute tall boots that zip around the calf.

Now 90 lbs later I can wear them all day long. I own four different pairs!!!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    BTW, I'm 5'9" and my calf is 13".
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would just look for a different boot; it wasn't meant to be. I'm 5'0" and wear a size 7. I very commonly cannot fit my 37.5cm calf into a boot. I honestly think the calf area of boots on the market (especially for teens/young adults) are shrinking crazily.

But if you really like them, I guess you can try. I honestly have gained size in my calves during weight loss.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh yes your calf size can definitely decrease. When I first started at 215, there was no way I could wear cute tall boots that zip around the calf.

Now 90 lbs later I can wear them all day long. I own four different pairs!!!

You give me so much hope, not least because I'm 217 now :smile:
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I would just look for a different boot; it wasn't meant to be. I'm 5'0" and wear a size 7. I very commonly cannot fit my 37.5cm calf into a boot. I honestly think the calf area of boots on the market (especially for teens/young adults) are shrinking crazily.

But if you really like them, I guess you can try. I honestly have gained size in my calves during weight loss.

I know, I guess it's not shoe-fate but I really want it to be. They are new for SS13 so I have a month or two to track my development and still have a chance to catch them. They are £135 and would be an investment piece so they really do have to fit!!!

My fear is that my calves will gain rather than decrease with all that muscle. Don't get me wrong, I love my legs, they are amazing and strong and actually look pretty good but they don't fit into the boots :sad:
  • shosho420
    shosho420 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Well on the flip side, I have chicken legs, I went from 130 to 200 pounds and my calf's did not gain one inch or pound. My thighs are a different story. I lost 30 pounds and they still never changed (my lower legs). It was hard for my tiny legs to hold up this much fat. I know you can tone your calfs but i don't think they shrink or grow. IDK though, mine never changed.
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, my calves are one of the areas I struggle most with. However I have just done the 30 day shred and have lost almost an inch off each calf so I'm pleased with that.
  • Schmidty102
    Schmidty102 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Over my last 41lbs lost (my banner is only tracking 2013), I have maybe lost an inch in my calves.
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem with boots. My calves stop them alot of the time lol. But I notice with the 15lbs I've lost that my boots fit better so am definitely losing in the calves, just not very noticeable to my eye. I also don't measure them.