Exercise and Maintenance

So I'm maintaining, or starting to anyway! (Slowly adding calories) but I HATE exercise, always have, probably always will. And yes I do mean pretty much all exercise, I mean I can do it, grudgingly, hell sometimes I even want to or enjoy it, but most of the time no, i force myself to, even if I feel good afterwards. Do I really still need to force myself to work out in maintenance? (Eating clean is absolutely no problem for me.)

Replies

• SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    I feel the same way!!!! I am not at maintenance yet, but, while I exercise 6x/wk now, I am hoping I can dial it down at goal.
    I am no expert, but I would think a nice strength/circuit training program 3-4x/week should help keep your lean muscle and help make up for "upping" the calories. I think it is important not to lose the muscle and I think you can only keep it if you use it!
    Good luck and great job!
  • FionaDFair
    FionaDFair Posts: 125 Member
    I work out with a friend 3x a week at a local gym doing strength training. I think the previous poster is right about maintaining lean body mass. If you spend maybe 30-60 minutes 3-4 times per week doing strength/resistance training, that will help you preserve muscle mass and strengthen your bones (very important for us women as we age).
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    It depends on how your body responds. Working out raises your metabolism for a longer period than when just working out. This means that when you're sitting back at home after working out you're still burning calories at an increased rate.

Try adding calories back on and just keep a watchful eye on your weight. You may want to couple a cheat day with an exercise day. Basically, if you're going to eat unhealthy one day, whether it be a double bacon cheeseburger with extra everything or a chunk of cake, you may want to make an effort to burn some calories to give yourself a window with which to fill with cheat food. It will also seem like a reward.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Yes, you should work to incorporate exercise into your life for good! That's the only real way to be truly successful in this journey, and remain healthy!

I don't particularly like cardio, but I found out I do like weight training so I do that 3-4x a week and will continue to do that until I'm old and can't do it anymore. It keeps my metabolism going and allows me to eat a lot more and enjoy myself a lot more, not to mention look good in a bikini!

Find something you like, or atleast can stand, and find a few times a week to do it.
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    I am looking forward to maitenance too - so I've been thinking a lot about it!! I've been doing Insanity - and I HATE it lol - I have ZERO intention of keeping at it once the weight is gone...so I've been switching my brain to start incorporating things that I won't mind doing...hubby and I are buying bikes this year and plan to bike all over with our kids.... I did a trial Zumba class and actually loved it - because it's more dance than exercise, I think it might be something I could keep going with. Being 31, my weight has been my primary goal for getting in shape, but I know over the next 10 years things are going to MAJORLY start changing with my strength if I don't keep going now - so ya, I'm going to get some weights for here at home and even though I don't love it - going to start some strength training - not for the weight loss, but just so my body stays healthy and strong as the years go by! :)
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    So I'm maintaining, or starting to anyway! (Slowly adding calories) but I HATE exercise, always have, probably always will. And yes I do mean pretty much all exercise, I mean I can do it, grudgingly, hell sometimes I even want to or enjoy it, but most of the time no, i force myself to, even if I feel good afterwards. Do I really still need to force myself to work out in maintenance? (Eating clean is absolutely no problem for me.)

Quite simply: YES! When you lose 20% or more of your body weight, your metabolism slows down to help you get back to where you were (ie, overweight) (I know--evil). Exercise will help you speed your metabolism.

Plus it is good for you, like green vegetables. Find something you like. Go to a class at the gym regularly (so that they other folks ask where the hell you've been when you miss a day or two). Just do it.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    I am looking forward to maitenance too - so I've been thinking a lot about it!! I've been doing Insanity - and I HATE it lol - I have ZERO intention of keeping at it once the weight is gone...so I've been switching my brain to start incorporating things that I won't mind doing...hubby and I are buying bikes this year and plan to bike all over with our kids.... I did a trial Zumba class and actually loved it - because it's more dance than exercise, I think it might be something I could keep going with. Being 31, my weight has been my primary goal for getting in shape, but I know over the next 10 years things are going to MAJORLY start changing with my strength if I don't keep going now - so ya, I'm going to get some weights for here at home and even though I don't love it - going to start some strength training - not for the weight loss, but just so my body stays healthy and strong as the years go by! :)

Great way to find things you like doing. Try a competitive event--run a 5k or work up to a marathon, triathlon, cycling event (century?) or something. One word of caution: I am not sure how old your kids are, but biking with kids younger than about 15 will not really give you much of a workout. (Speaking from experience here.) If you want a good bike workout, go hit 20 miles at a speed of about 60-70% of your max (ie, how fast can you go when you really try hard). That will give you a burn of 800 cal/hr or so. Riding with the kiddies is fun, but not a workout.

I have been maintaining now for nearly 2 years. I still do 2 days/wk of strength training (1 hour each) and 2-4 days a week of cycling (indoor and outdoor). Last year I rode 3000 miles. I really enjoy it and it helps keep me fit and trim.

And my BMR is low--I am maintaining at around 1800 calories/day. I am 5'11" and 177 or so.