Just a matter of staying within the calorie range?

Options
Hi, new here. Sorry if this question has been asked before.

I´m looking to lose around 70 pounds. I placed in my Iphone app, my weight and goal. It gave me the calories I have to consume to reach my goal, losing two pounds a week.

If I stick to the calorie budget, and never falter, will I reach my goal?

Does exercise, really give me that much flexibility in the amount of calories and can eat and lose weight?

How accurate is the 5 week projection?

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Marrhet
    Marrhet Posts: 13
    Options
    I use the Iphone app primarily myself and I have been wondering the same things.
  • S_Arr_Uh
    S_Arr_Uh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Try it out, and you'll see for yourself. I use the app mostly too, and it's been working out great. I've been logging for 85 days now. I did adjust my intake a little every now and then but it depends on how you feel.

As for the 5 week 'you will weigh' function, it's not accurate as it bases it on if EVERYDAY is EXACTLY the same. I like the feature though, it's interesting to see what they say when you've consumed less than 1200 NET calories so far during the day :P

Good luck!

Oh, and the calorie goal that MFP gives you is at a deficit, so if you happen to go over by like 1/200 calories on an occasional day, don't fret. Most likely you're still at a deficit so you can still lose weight. As for the exercise, if a person is really active during a period of a week, then they need more energy/cals so yes, there is that flexibility. When you log your exercise, MFP gives you more calories for the day because you need more energy, so don't completely ignore it. Eat a few of them back, if not all (I eat about half of them back on most days). Although there are some people who won't eat any back, but creating larger deficits is a whole 'nother story.
  • davypr86
    davypr86 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I just saw the tutorial video in my app and the team seems pretty confident that sticking to the net calorie goal does bring you the desired results.

Yesterday I went over the calorie deficit and I fretted a bit. But I just used the BMR calculator and I showed that I´m still under what my body would normally consume. That makes me a bit more relaxed, lol.

I might also be overestimating the calories I take in.

I´ll just stick to it and, maybe, add a bit more exercise, to see how far I can go.
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you stay within your calorie limit, you will lose the weight, but exercise is important for toning up and helping burn the calories making it easier to lose the weight and probably quicker than just eating right. I do cardio 5 days a week and strength training 3 days a week, and I think it really helps.
  • davypr86
    davypr86 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm doing my best to keep exercising. Since I have not done a lot of exercise in a while, I started slow with just 30 minutes. Now I'm at 1 hour and I burn more calories each day since I'm getting in better shape.

What I plan to do, eventually, is to workout twice a day. Its been recomended highly.