How much exercise is enough?

Options
Hi! I'm wondering how to figure out how many calories a day I should be burning in exercise. I've been doing about an hour of intervals (high incline low incline-faster speed lower speed)on the treadmill most days. According to the machine at the club (after entering weight and age) I burn anywhere from 400-500 calories. Is this enough, too much, I want the right amount to be losing at a healthy but steady pace!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's quality not quantity of exercise.

Do you only do cardio? If so you should look at some resistance/strength training.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I think that's really a personal thing. What might be enough for you may not be enough for me, or vice versa. It all depends on your eating habits, your goals, etc. I will say though that for intervals, you might be overdoing it at an hour. For really intense intervals, you really only need 15-20 minutes. I 100% with adding strength training too if you aren't already. It does a body good!
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    An hour a day sounds fine to me, but I agree you should be doing strength training as well. Nothing too crazy, just side bends with 3 pound weights, crunches, lunges, things like that to keep the muscles tight. You'll feel so much stronger in no time.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Or if you don't like strength trainging, try something like yoga or pilates. It's so good for your body.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    An hour a day sounds fine to me, but I agree you should be doing strength training as well. Nothing too crazy, just side bends with 3 pound weights, crunches, lunges, things like that to keep the muscles tight. You'll feel so much stronger in no time.

What benefit will the OP get from using 3 pound weights?
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options

QFT. If it weighs less than your purse you are kidding yourself if you think it's benefiting you.
  • Mamalea32
    Mamalea32 Posts: 134
    Options
    I love exercise so i would do 2 hours a day if i had time! I get 1.5 hours 6 days a week and i am 19%bmi. I do half cardio and half strength training. Its therapy for me.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    ∞ <---- about this much.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Alot more benefit than sitting on the sofa eating junk....why mock?
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

Alot more benefit than sitting on the sofa eating junk....why mock?

Not a lot more, just a little more.
  • Oncebittentwiceshy38
    Oncebittentwiceshy38 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments! And ... my purse doesn't weigh 3 lbs! ;););) haha! :)