High Heart Rate

AmandaB4588
AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I am worried about how high my heart rate is when I exercise. I am doing c25k and also just started a heavy lifting program. While running and while lifting weights, my heart rate has gone as high as 192. I am 22 years old. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Replies

• bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Here's a cite that suggests what your training heart rates can be:
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/bl_THR.htm.

Example:
    1. Enter Your Age __
    2. Fitness Level
    _ Novice - Very little fitness
    _Beginner - Some execise
    _Average Fitness - Moderate exercise
    _ Higher than average Fitness - Vigorous exercise

Your Training Heart Rate Zone is Between: __ and __ Beats Per Minute

For age 22 and higher than average fitness, the site said your training rate should be 139-178 beats per minute.
    Possibly, you should slow down if your heart rate exceeds 178 beats per minute. And it wouldn't hurt to have your doctor check you out before any further exercise, just to be safe.
  • Hey Amanda, it's hard to say. You can use various tools to calculate what your heart rate should be but even those tools have a margin of error of 20bpm. And depending on which method you use you could get several different target heart rate zones. I would say to judge off of how you feel. If you feel like your heart rate is getting too high, or you're getting dizzy or nauseous - just slow down, take some deep breaths and wait until you feel good again. It's ok to go in intervals of having a higher heart rate, then letting it slow down.
  • kelli_panzera
    kelli_panzera Posts: 171
    when I first started at my heaviest weight, mine was very high like yours. Slow down some if you are uncomfortable, dizzy, or faint. If you feel good doing it, do it. Mine went from over 190 when I started to about 165 now when I am doing it. Don't push yourself into passing out, but if you are feeling ok, you are strengthening your heart with exercise.
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Thanks for the responses! I am relieved that some of you have experienced this as well. I felt fine despite my heart rate being so high, especially during the running--- I actually felt GOOD!

I have an appointment with my doctor next week and will talk to him about it then just to be safe.
This discussion has been closed.