Safety

Options
avababy05
avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
A few times over the last year I've been at various places,the hairdresser,the post office,the 4th of July parade,even while donating at a childrens charity,when random strangers have said "Hey,you're the walking lady".

I was telling a guy co-worker this,because I thought it was funny.He said "you do switch up your route right? you don't walk the same course at the same time everyday? Not everyone is a sweet old lady"

Umm,well I was following the same route.

What are some safety precautions you take when you are running/walking?

Replies

• PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Yeah, switching up your route and time when you walk is the safest way, if someone gets your routine down it could get dangerous
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I usually have a big dog with me! He's as soft as butter, but other people wont know that. Plus I have my phone - if I'm running I use MapMyRun, and my husband can see where I am.
  • avababy05
    Options
    I usually have a big dog with me! He's as soft as butter, but other people wont know that. Plus I have my phone - if I'm running I use MapMyRun, and my husband can see where I am.

Oh,didn't know about that app.Good idea.
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My grandmother is an ex-prison guard and was so scared when I told her I was running outside. Changing the route you run/walk, and times is the safest so no one can get your routine down. I tend to stay very aware of my surroundings, and change course if I need to. I also carry my phone, and a 7.8 million volt Mini Stun Gun just in case.
  • avababy05
    Options
    I was actually more cautious of dogs than people until my friend mentioned that.Hadn't occured to me that it could be unsafe to walk in my little suburban town at 10 am

I guess if I notice the same people I see everyday to the point I've made up nicknames ( creepy red car guy,to name one) the same may be true in reverse.

I just really wanted to post this to make sure people remember not to take their safety for granted.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray and a whistle.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    when I went out in the dark, I would put my keys through my fingers up near my knuckles. I figured I could do some damage if I had to.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Way better than being called the 'sleep walking' lady.
  • avababy05
    Options
    Way better than being called the 'sleep walking' lady.

This is true