Consistency

Options
I love exercise. I really do. I enjoy the types of workouts I tend to do and I absolutely love the results.... feeling strong, the heightened body awareness, a clearer mentality and positive outlook and a tendency to make better food choices on good exercise days. I also love making good food choices. I like the sense of empowerment of passing on an unhealthy choice in lieu of a better option. I have experienced the truth of a day filled with energy from good food choices v. a day where I end up in bed from a sugar crash. I like my clothes fitting comfortably. I like giving my body good fuel.

So why I am constantly so easily derailed?

I really struggle with consistency. I can have a two great weeks (or lets face it, two great days) followed by a few unforeseen schedule blow ups and I am off track for a week. A little whining here, I have 4 kids- 3 of them preschoolers. My husband works full time and goes to school full time. We live on a large property with alot of upkeep required. Animals. I am actively involved in kids school.... chaperoning a field trip here, taking an animal to the vet there, a preschooler home sick from the 2 hours they are normally in preschool, an extra late night for husbands work... BOOM. My schedule is shot and I havent worked out in 3 days and my morale is low and I am reaching for sugar and quick energy and then I feel worse....

Yes, the cycle only stops with me. Taking each day. Focusing on the positive. Setting exercise as an absolute priority (the kids dont need their lunches made right?) Last night I made a huge pot of veggie and lentil soup. Expect to see it on my diary for a long time... :)

Well, I have Easter eggs to dye and company to get ready for.... I just wanted to try some venting and writing therapy!
Thanks! :)

Replies

• jessicabakernyc
    jessicabakernyc Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Consistency is a big goal for me as well, and its something I really struggle with. My big struggle is overdoing it, and then burning out or falling off track. This time around I have a goal of exercising 3x per week for 6 months. Its hard to battle the little voice in my head that tells me "that's not enough" or "look at how much everyone else is doing"... but I just keep telling myself that if I can make it to 6 months, then I can increase/do more/etc. Meanwhile, getting it done 3x per week is hard!! You are doing great, and I'mm really glad to have you for a buddy! You make great choices every day... just keep on logging every day. Its a long journey, and not about any one day or one week.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    get a fitbit, you would be surprised how many calories you are burning doing all that running around. The fact is Life happens and it happens to us all, the key is to deal with it in a smart way. When you can not work out, park in the back of the lot and walk, take the stairs, take the kids on a walk. You will never be able to keep a normal schedeule with the demands of your family, the key is to do the best with what you have. Eat within your goals and get as much movement as you can. Good luck to you and God bless.