Kids Easter candy

Options
I was doing so good until two days ago when the kids brought home Easter candy from school. I was bad for two days but started new today on my calories.
Any one else struggle with candies around the house? Can you ignore them?
I feel that if I know they are in the house, that is all I can think of.

Replies

• WrathfulKatherine
    WrathfulKatherine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of candy it is. Also depends on if the bag has been opened or not. I know what you mean though. It's like they are calling my name until I eat them up!
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Here are some things that have helped me:

1. Sometimes I keep candy in inconvenient places--the bottom of the chest freezer in the basement or up on a high shelf behind a lot of stuff. And I'll often wrap multiple rubber bands around a bag of candy. Anything that will make me slow down and really put in a LOT of effort to get to the candy is good.

2. You can try putting a picture of yourself--either a motivating one from slimmer days, or a "before" picture--right out in the kitchen so that you see that more often than you see the candy.

3. Read the ingredient list and imagine that stuff inside your body.

4. Decide ahead of time how much candy you'll have and set it aside so that you really can have it whenever you want. But when it's gone, it's gone. (Sometimes I do this at the beginning of a holiday season, a week, or just a hard day.)

5. Choose a different--maybe a more satisfying--splurge. Allow yourself to spend a lot of time planning it and thinking about it. Then enjoy it and be so happy that you had a treat that was totally worth it.

Good luck and remember: You are stronger than candy.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Let's just say that this is the first year out of the 6 years that I have had children, that I did not have to go out buying more easter candy for the easter baskets because I ate it all! Every time I buy all the goodies for three baskets, and every time I eat it all up, then go buy more, then eat it all up again! repeat! It is terrible! I was always eating at least 9 easter baskets worth of candy all by myself over the course of a month.
  • Naomi0222
    Naomi0222 Posts: 84
    Options
    Great advice lil-pulp
  • Naomi0222
    Naomi0222 Posts: 84
    Options
    Here are some things that have helped me:

1. Sometimes I keep candy in inconvenient places--the bottom of the chest freezer in the basement or up on a high shelf behind a lot of stuff. And I'll often wrap multiple rubber bands around a bag of candy. Anything that will make me slow down and really put in a LOT of effort to get to the candy is good.

2. You can try putting a picture of yourself--either a motivating one from slimmer days, or a "before" picture--right out in the kitchen so that you see that more often than you see the candy.

3. Read the ingredient list and imagine that stuff inside your body.

4. Decide ahead of time how much candy you'll have and set it aside so that you really can have it whenever you want. But when it's gone, it's gone. (Sometimes I do this at the beginning of a holiday season, a week, or just a hard day.)

5. Choose a different--maybe a more satisfying--splurge. Allow yourself to spend a lot of time planning it and thinking about it. Then enjoy it and be so happy that you had a treat that was totally worth it.

Good luck and remember: You are stronger than candy.

Bump
  • keninf
    keninf Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is my weakness, well one of them, so I make sure to keep it within my calories for the day- that way I find I am not always thinking about that candy and I don't binge and feel guilty after. Treat yourself a little :)
  • mdamrow
    mdamrow Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I go with the idea "out of sight out of mind". It's a given you cannot avoid candy when you have children, espcecially children that go to daycare/school. I hide the candy and if it's candy I'm buying for the kiddos or hiubby, I buy stuff I don't like.

Don't get down on yourself...we've all been there. Pick yourself back up and work it hard for the next few days. You can do this!!!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I was quite lucky as my 3 year old just got a creme egg from nursery, and my 1 year old got a mini Lindt bunny which she ate in like 2 bites! They shared the creme egg today, and neither could manage more than a few bites, and I was strong and threw the rest in the bin so i couldn't eat it!

If we ever have chocolate for the kids I don't eat it because it's theirs and I'd feel bad. They don't often have any luckily!

Don't feel bad though, it's only Easter once a year! And you have several months until Xmas, the next chocolate overload time!
  • chezzielou1984
    Options
    Me and my partner have a cupboard that we call "The Crap Cupboard". There is nothing else in it but the nice stuff.
    I found that when my partner (for example) his nice stuff in the cupboard that I went into every day when cooking, every time I opened it they were staring at me in the face and I would eventually cave and eat one (or ten).

So I allocated him a cupboard and since they are out of sight they are for a vast majority of the time out of mind. I do eat a bit of it sometimes but it is on rare occasions but I wait until the end of the day and thanks to MFP I now know how much I can have so I moderate it well.
  • Footballisdashit
    Options
    Dang. Those sound soo good. Especially the cad-bury bunny egg ones.
    Whenever you feel like eating it, think to your self about an amazing body. that you could have Look at a picture of a hot body and resist eating it. Honestly its not bad eating it once in a while as long you don't end up eating a lot.
  • ksdental04
    ksdental04 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advise...I think out of sight out of mind will help and the basement. I hardly go down to the basement so I think I will have to keep it down there. Hiking up and down the stairs for a treat doesn't sound like much fun just for one treat.