Stationary Bike & New to running

Options
Anybody else using an exercise bike regularly and can compare notes.
So I am working In a school and trying to improve my fitness In cycling and overall fitness.
I have been using my exercise bike in front of the TV(to take my mind off the cycling) 4 times a week for the past month I am now cycling at level 1 28kilometers in 1hr, my heart rate is around 70% (according to my Heart rate monitor- Resting heart rate is 65bpm) and I really think I have found an exercise that I enjoy.

What times do other people do in terms of timings? Has any one any one got success stories out there from just using the bike??

I have also signed up to the Race for life so any tips on how to get into running going from no running at all the 5k.

I would love some friend - Cruising the Caribbean for the next week but I think I am going to find out the gym.

Becs

Replies

• loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Check out C25K for a way to get started running. For your cycling, I'd suggest bumping up the resistance occasionally to keep improving your fitness.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    C25K would probably be a good way to start. It sounds like you probably have good enough cardio to make the run but what I would worry about are shin splints. Very painful and will keep you from running for about 2 weeks. There's no impact in cycling so you'll have to give your shin bones time to build up to the impact of running. First thing's first, get a good pair of running shoes. You'll probably be looking at the $100 range and of course it's best to go to a running store to be properly fitted. The cushioning in the better shoes such as a Brooks Ghost 5 or Asics Gel-Nimbus will do you well.

For your cycling, I would try and simulate a spin class. You might not have the right bike but could possibly make it work with some adjustments. There's plenty of spin class videos on youtube. They're intense and it will help your ability to run and cycle faster. I was racing cross country mountain bike and spin classes used to whoop my butt.