Saunas??

Options
Do you use them?

I have looked on the internet to see what they really do for you. Clearer skin and stuff like that.

What has is done for you?

Is it worth my time to hop in there a few times a month??

Do you do it often?

Replies

• taytaylynn3
    taytaylynn3 Posts: 601
    Options
    BUMP
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Doesn't have much to do with weight loss - unless you need to do some drastic cutting for weighs-ins before a meet or fight or something - but I absolutely love a good sauna. It has to be hot enough. It makes me feel younger. Especially if I'm feeling creaky.
  • BlackEyedPanda
    BlackEyedPanda Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a house that had a sauna and still when I visit my family I make sure the sauna will be heated for me. It has some health benefits, should be really good for your blood circulation, and it is extremely good for your skin. You can actually feel your skin get tighter and softer right away and if you don't wear make-up the effect on your skin will persist for a couple of days. It's absolutely brilliant! It makes me just feel brilliant all over.

However, I tend to like my sauna really hot, so not like sauna's at a gym or a swimming pool, more like an authentic Finnish sauna. So not sure how good a commercial sauna would be.

Oh, you will get quite hot so make sure you drink something in there to avoid being dehydrated :)

Edit: As noted above, saunas have nothing to do with weight loss. The heat may suppress your appetite for one night but a sauna won't make you slimmer.
  • taytaylynn3
    Options
    I grew up in a house that had a sauna and still when I visit my family I make sure the sauna will be heated for me. It has some health benefits, should be really good for your blood circulation, and it is extremely good for your skin. You can actually feel your skin get tighter and softer right away and if you don't wear make-up the effect on your skin will persist for a couple of days. It's absolutely brilliant! It makes me just feel brilliant all over.

However, I tend to like my sauna really hot, so not like sauna's at a gym or a swimming pool, more like an authentic Finnish sauna. So not sure how good a commercial sauna would be.

Oh, you will get quite hot so make sure you drink something in there to avoid being dehydrated :)

Edit: As noted above, saunas have nothing to do with weight loss. The heat may suppress your appetite for one night but a sauna won't make you slimmer.
    Knew it wouldn't make me thinner, just wanted to know peoples thoughts on them and what the benefited from them (:
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I love the sauna. I find the locker rooms at the Y to be too cold. So I like to sit in the sauna and dry off and apply lotion. I use it for relaxation and its something I very much enjoy after my workout.
  • almostheavengroup
    Options
    Saunas are great for your circulatory system, skin, respiratory system, and ability to relax, so yes! You should definitely take the time to have a sauna bath whenever possible.

As people have already pointed out, saunas do nothing for weight loss, or detoxification, though the other health benefits listed above are very real.

Also as people have also said, to get the most out of these health benefits, a sauna should be as hot as you can stand. It's important to note that the benefits I've talked about here are only applicable to a genuine Scandinavian style sauna - the kind with hot rocks you can sprinkle water on. These benefits do not apply to the newer "trendy" infrared enclosures. These are not real saunas.

Last but not least, if you have any health concerns talk with your physician first, and remember to always drink plenty of water!
  • taytaylynn3
    Options
    Saunas are great for your circulatory system, skin, respiratory system, and ability to relax, so yes! You should definitely take the time to have a sauna bath whenever possible.

As people have already pointed out, saunas do nothing for weight loss, or detoxification, though the other health benefits listed above are very real.

Also as people have also said, to get the most out of these health benefits, a sauna should be as hot as you can stand. It's important to note that the benefits I've talked about here are only applicable to a genuine Scandinavian style sauna - the kind with hot rocks you can sprinkle water on. These benefits do not apply to the newer "trendy" infrared enclosures. These are not real saunas.

Last but not least, if you have any health concerns talk with your physician first, and remember to always drink plenty of water!
    Good thing my gym uses the hot rocks with water!!!! (: