Peanut Butter --------------> Me

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
I have a fear of peanut butter. I LOVE it but it is SO high in calories and fat for just a tiny bit that I have avoided this treasured food of mine! I miss my peanut butter and banana sandwiches! :( How do I get over this fear?? I know a tbsp here and there isn't horrible!! Grrrr!!!

Replies

• TamTastic
    Options
    I have a fear of peanut butter. I LOVE it but it is SO high in calories and fat for just a tiny bit that I have avoided this treasured food of mine! I miss my peanut butter and banana sandwiches! :( How do I get over this fear?? I know a tbsp here and there isn't horrible!! Grrrr!!!
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    I love peanut butter as well :heart: :smile:

Sometimes I eat two small sandwiches with sth "healhy" and the third one with peanut butter for breakfast. When I had only peanut butter sandwiches plus 2x kiwi it was a bit too many calories.... :grumble: ... but so yummy :smile: I think on days when I exercise it is acceptable :smile:

Peanut butter on wasa crisp bread and a little low sugar jam is safer and it tastes like cookies for me! :happy:
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    There are so many brands out there of peanut butter, shop around for a natural and low sugar before you give it up. Sometimes I get the shakes and can have a spoonfull of the gooey stuff and I am on the go again.......
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    The cool thing about peanut butter is that it has all the great ingredients to keep you from getting hungry again (fat, protein, carbs) all mixed into this really yummy package.

I have a "Fiber One" light wheat multigrain English muffin with 1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter for breakfast most morning for only 200 calories. This keeps me going until lunch (although I do sneak in a lower sugar instant oatmeal some days at around 10 am, if I know lunch will be late). If I am really feeling racy - or know I will be exercising - I will throw on a sliced apple, or even on occassion sliced banana. :noway:

Don't be afraid of the p.b. - just practice moderation...:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I'm with Janiebeth...

I eat PB every morning for breakfast! I dip a banana into one tablespoon of PB, and have it with a delicious cup of coffee, with light cream, and it's like having a dessert for breakfast! And the protein, fibre combo keeps me full and without cravings!

The whole meal is less than 250 calories.
    :love: :love: :love:
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I think if you look for "Natural" peanut butter it will have less fat. it doesnt have some of the other oils added i believe. I cant stand peanut butter....like peanut butter sandwiches, to many bad memories of being hungry as a kid and that being all there was i guess.

However i love peanut butter cups. dont really know why because i can easily go with out "candy/chocolate" with no issues. anyway now I get my peanut butter and chocolate fix with Zone snack bars. 80 cals of goodness.

Tim
  • bricker06
    bricker06 Posts: 316
    Options
    i eat peanut butter with my apple almost every day as my afternoon snack. im allowed 1460 cals. i usually eat 300 cals breakfast, lunch, and snack. a little higher dinner and a low cal snack in the evening.
  • lorelai63
    lorelai63 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Once every now and then I have peanut butter and banana on toast. I measure the peanut butter. You wuold be surprise how far one tablespoon will spread. Two is a real treat. But hey for breakfast its not a high count. Enjoy every bite!
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Exercise......

30 minutes of swimming would get you a NICE peanut butter sandwich anytime you like.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You don't have to have the whole serving of PB, 2 tbsp...I always buy the natural pb and has 210cals per svg, 2tbs. I just use 1 tbsp or even a tsp, depending on what I am having it with. A little goes a long way...:wink: I love it too!! Have you tried it in your oatmeal??? Delicious!!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eating it due to the calories too. We can't have PB in our home due to allergies but the soynut butter has just as many calories and I have a hard time eating it for the same reasons.
    I was starving one day so I decided to have SNB on whole wheat crackers thinking it would fill me up and it did nothing for me :angry: . I was upset because I could have eaten so much more for the same calories.
    I going to save this wonderful spread for my cheat days. :flowerforyou:
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    30 minutes swimming - 621 calories burned

Jif Peanut Butter - Peanutbutter, 5 tbs 475
    Bread - White, 2 slice 133

608 calories

:bigsmile:

TADA!
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Hmm, I workout 4 days a week and burn around 700 calories on the cardio alone (not counting strength training), soo perhaps I will indulge in a tbsp of pb on those days!! LOL! Yummmmmm. Ahh, how I've missed you my dear dear friend!!! LOL!!

Thanks for all the tips guys!!!
  • DETERMINED2Drop
    DETERMINED2Drop Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter. I used to love making toast and putting LOADS of peanut butter on it and when I was eating terribly I could eat 4 pieces and not even realize it till I was done. I love peanut butter... I've tried the whole dieting before and cut it out completely and failed.

So now during my LIFE change I am eating my tablespoon a day because it's a good fat, keeps me full, and tastes so damn good.

-I eat mine with celery. It's great! : )
    -Or with 100 calorie packs of pretzels.

:heart:
  • yesIcan
    yesIcan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love love love peanut butter too!
    Wow and obviously i'm not the only one :laugh:
    Its my special treat at the end of the day if I have extra calories left over. I take the measuring spoons and eat a couple half tbsps at a time... it makes it go down slower so I can savour it.
  • Pom_love_2
    Options
    Celery and natural peanut butter.....mmmm, makes the celery go down easier! LOL :bigsmile:

Natural peanut butter doesn't have the "bad" oils like the big name brands. It also shouldn't have sugar added. Just peanuts and salt. It may not taste the same, but then that makes me wonder if the craving or desire for peanut butter is really for the additives in the peanut butter, and not the peanuts themselves?

Got this from Wikipedia.com:
    "Peanut butter provides protection against cardiovascular disease due to high levels of monounsaturated fats and Resveratrol, though butter prepared with the skin of the peanuts has a greater level of resveratrol and other health-aiding agents.[17] A source of protein, and vitamins B3 and E, peanuts also contain magnesium, folate, dietary fibre and arginine.[18]

Peanuts also contain high levels of an antioxidant called p-coumaric acid.

Certain brands of peanut butter might contain a small amount (far under 1%) of added hydrogenated vegetable oils, which are rich in trans fatty acids. Such fatty acids are thought to be a cause of atherosclerosis, as well as two of the three leading main causes of death in North America: coronary heart disease and stroke."

So don't be afraid of REAL peanut butter, it's actually good for you!
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I know Tamim, I feel the same way. The calories are so high there has been times I put just a trace of it on toast to just get a taste. There were days in the past I use to get a spoonful and nibble on it . I have tried the natural, low cal and they don't taste good to me. :frown:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    See, I can't tell the difference between "normal peanut butter" and natural peanut butter so I opt for natural instead. I often have it with breakfast and snacks as it provides the calories I need to fulfill my daily quota.

One serving of Skippy Natural is two tablespoons; however,I find that 0.5 servings is more than enough for my sandwiches and other goodies throughout the day.

I view peanut butter as my candy for the day. Enjoy it! I know I do! :glasses:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    we go the natural route here too! I love it on a thomas' light multigrain english muffin (100 cals and 8 gm of fiber!) and then cut up banana and top the pb w/ that instead of jam...mmmm mmmm mmmm!
    I also only end up using a tbsp...I agree w/ alittle goes a long way!

hugs and happy eating!
    Ali
  • blueberrybox
    Options
    just have a smuckers uncrustable

theyre only 210 calories!