How do you handle this...

Options
Ahmee2034
Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
:sick: You know how you get light-headed and stuff when you first begin a "diet?" I'm looking for suggestions on how you all handle this sluggish, light-headed, blah feeling.

Replies

• ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're eating enough? I never got light-headed or sluggish after I starting watching what I ate.
  • lelesmama
    lelesmama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I get light-headed every day now - I couldn't even function enough to imagine up a meal for dinner. My husband has to help me every night dream up something to eat. I get a lot of extra calories because I'm breastfeeding, but it is still difficult for me. I have been dieting for over a month now too!! I try to do high-protein snacks because they fill me up and I never go more than 3 hours without eating but I still get light-headed every now and then. I look forward to hearing everyone's tips too!
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    Options
    You shouldn't be getting light headed. Your blood sugar may be dropping to low or something. If this continues I would go see my doctor. Everyone gets a little lightheaded now and then, but it shouldn't be happening because you are dieting and it should be happening on a regular basis. Please be careful.....if it continues go see your doc.
  • Ahmee2034
    Options
    Well, I AM eating below my calorie goal each day but I just CAN'T seem to eat all those calories! I, too, try to eat protein rich snacks. Maybe this will pass as my body adjusts to not having all that fat, sugar, etc.
  • Killeen_bride2be
    Options
    I get the lightheadiness and dizzy spells too but they have gotten a little better now that I snack more. I now only get dizzy after I work out. When I start to feel that way, I just grab an apple or a 100 calorie pack. I know it's hard to get all the calories in but at least get as close to your 1200 or whatever you are set to as you can.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    What do you mean you can't eat them? Wow I must be the only person who actually gained my weight by overeating. Seriously, eat. You're light headed because your blood sugar is low.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    lelesmama does your Health Visitor know you are on a diet? I don't think breast feeding Mums should be calorie counting, that is why you are feeling like you do. Your body is using up HUGE amounts of calories making the milk for your baby and as long as you eat sensibly you will lose weight without dieting. Please speak to your GP or Health Visitor as soon as possible about how you are feeling and get some professional advice.

Also to the other ladies, you should not be feeling dizzy and light headed if you are eating your calories and drinking enough water, it does sound like you are getting low blood sugar and need to be watching that you eat enough, if not seek medical advice too.
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    Eat 6 times a day....200 cals + per meal. This will keep your blood sugar and metabolism in check.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,712 Member
    Options
    What do you mean you can't eat them? Wow I must be the only person who actually gained my weight by overeating. Seriously, eat. You're light headed because your blood sugar is low.
    Thank you for that. I was beginning to think I was the only one who got fat by overeating! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Killeen_bride2be
    Options

I started out as a chubby child thanks to my mom saying "just one more fry or maybe 15" or 'there are starveing kids in africa(or some random country"so maybe forceful overeating had something to do with it. I gained the rest of mine from poor nutrition, have hard times in years past where the only food we could afford was the high calorie, prossesed, full of fat and junk food, so even though I wasn't eating that much of it, the pounds were pileing on. When things in life became better, I did loose some but always would gain it back. I will completly admit to overeating at buffetts but hey who doesn't lol. at regular restuarnts though i always bring over half my food home. I am 25 and just now becomeing completely aware of what I should of been eating and what I must noow do to fix the problem.

P.s. I hope I didn't sound rude or defensive, I was just telling my part.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    It's not often how much we eat but what we eat that leads to weight gain. Yes, we want to eat healthier. Yes, we should eat fruits and veggies. We also need dairy, bread, and meat. If you are eating sufficient quantities of the food pyramid, you should never have trouble eating your 1200 plus calories. That's my point. Too many people diet by just eating around 800-1000 cals per day. It just messes up your metabolism. You can't get proper nutrition eating that way and I really do get annoyed with people saying that they can't eat more than that. Of course they can. Eat peanut butter toast, fruit, and milk for breakfast. Eat a carb, a milk, a protein, a fruit, and a vegetable for lunch, eat protein carb and veggie for dinner. I guarantee you'll get your calories in, you will lose weight, you won't get dizzy or light headed and you will be healthy. People here are successful when they follow the recommendations. If you could do it on your own, you wouldn't need MFP.
  • lelesmama
    lelesmama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    lelesmama does your Health Visitor know you are on a diet? I don't think breast feeding Mums should be calorie counting, that is why you are feeling like you do. Your body is using up HUGE amounts of calories making the milk for your baby and as long as you eat sensibly you will lose weight without dieting. Please speak to your GP or Health Visitor as soon as possible about how you are feeling and get some professional advice.

Also to the other ladies, you should not be feeling dizzy and light headed if you are eating your calories and drinking enough water, it does sound like you are getting low blood sugar and need to be watching that you eat enough, if not seek medical advice too.

My sister and I have successfully dieted while breastfeeding but you definitely have to reach a higher caloric intake than others. So far, I'm on the right path. But, you're right - I'm going to talk to my midwife because I'm worried that my iron levels might be too low and that is why I'm getting dizzy. I am certain that I have the right amount of calories though so maybe something is wrong?!
  • Ahmee2034
    Options

Well, bully for you! No, you're not the only one. Seriously, what, perhaps, I SHOULD HAVE SAID, is that I'm MORE concious of what I'm putting in my mouth when dieting. Therefore, I make smarter decisions, thereby not feeling so hungry. Is that a more simplistic way of explaining what I mean? If you can't give objective, helpful, non-sarcastic advice, then please, I'd prefer you not give me any advice. You can take this comment the way you like but, if you make fun of the comments people make here trying to get help, then you're not helping. Your comment was very hurtful to me. I obviously didn't become overweight by following a daily calorie goal or I wouldn't be here. I've eaten my share of buffets, too. Just lay off. What is this forum, Mean Girls on a Rampage! I thought I was in the help forum...
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I want to point out that it may also be low iron that is causing the light-headedness, I second the advice that you should check in with a medical professional. You mentioned that you have not eaten nutritious food in the past, therefore it sounds likely to me that you could be anemic. This is especially a problem for women as we lose blood on a monthly basis so it can be a challenge to keep those iron stores up!

From your post, Killeen_bride2be, I have two things to say, and the first is WOW. I work in a prenatal nutrition program and see so many people who have never been taught the basics of nutrition. It can be so challenging and scary to make changes. You should be so proud of yourself for starting this journey.

Also, I feel I should suggest that you may want to see a nutritionist or a dietitian. (I assume you are in the UK and I do not know the professional designation there). It can be a complicated process working out what to eat to get all the nutrients you need and what works for your body. Also, as you can tell from this site there are many, many many opinions on the "correct" way to eat, and different things work for different people at different times in their life. As a very basic starting point there are things like the food pyramid, and here in Canada the food guide that can give you an idea. Sometimes a professional can help you integrate what to include in real life.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful. All the best!
  • PJilly
    Options

Well, bully for you! No, you're not the only one. Seriously, what, perhaps, I SHOULD HAVE SAID, is that I'm MORE concious of what I'm putting in my mouth when dieting. Therefore, I make smarter decisions, thereby not feeling so hungry. Is that a more simplistic way of explaining what I mean? If you can't give objective, helpful, non-sarcastic advice, then please, I'd prefer you not give me any advice. You can take this comment the way you like but, if you make fun of the comments people make here trying to get help, then you're not helping. Your comment was very hurtful to me. I obviously didn't become overweight by following a daily calorie goal or I wouldn't be here. I've eaten my share of buffets, too. Just lay off. What is this forum, Mean Girls on a Rampage! I thought I was in the help forum...
    I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but the way I interpreted the post (and why I responded to it the way I did) was that she was finding irony in the fact that so many people who are trying to lose weight seem to lament that they have a hard time eating all their calories. I related because I eat all the calories I'm allotted, including exercise calories, and I could easily eat more. Her comment didn't come across to me as being mean, and I hope my response didn't either. It's a good wake-up call for me, though, to be sure I'm being mindful of how my words may come across to others.
  • Ahmee2034
    Options
    I see no sense in your "explanation" of the comment, however, I commend you on at least reaching the desired conclusion that what you read in these forums comes from peoples' hearts. The word you chose, "lament" seems to minimalize the meaning behind my struggle to maintain my daily goals. I'm not complaining about it, just providing additional information. Many of us are at vulnerable points in our lives where one mis-statement can really affect how someone feels about their journey. After reading her profile and seeing what she has gone through with her mother, I find her comment even harder to understand. My son was involved in a very bad auto accident on Easter day, 2009. He broke his neck and nearly died...at least three times. He is only 18 now. We ALL have our battles and our battle scars. Why must we take an innocent request for help and turn it into something hurtful? We ALL need support for our battle of the bulge. Some have an easier time on their journey than others which makes it difficult to understand how others need a little more encouragement, guidance and uplifting. Some people eat because their lonely, others eat because they just feel better while they're eating. Others, well, others eat to try to make through each day however they can. It may seem stupid, silly and inconsequential to some. Until you've walked in someone else's shoes, you should not try to direct their path.

Again, I thank you for understanding where I'm coming from.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I think alot of the time that blah feeling is your body adjusting to a new way of eating, you're scaring the crap out of it..lol, everything is changing and it's riding itself of poisons and toxins and trying to function on a different level, stick with healthy frequent meals and a good dose of exercise and the blahs will go away.
  • PJilly
    Options
    I didn't mean any harm by my use of the word "lament." I agree with you that what we say can impact other people, whether we realize it or not, which was the purpose of my "explanation." It IS a two-way street, however, and just as it can be a mistake to assume people will understand the intent of our words, it can also be a mistake to attribute negative connotations to things people say when nothing negative was intended.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    :
    I didn't mean any harm by my use of the word "lament." I agree with you that what we say can impact other people, whether we realize it or not, which was the purpose of my "explanation." It IS a two-way street, however, and just as it can be a mistake to assume people will understand the intent of our words, it can also be a mistake to attribute negative connotations to things people say when nothing negative was intended.

I don't think you needed to defend what you said. Sometimes these boards are so overly dramatic, you cannot possibly make everyone happy, someone will always find a way to be offended. It's true we don't know where people have been and what their experiences are about. But when you post in an open forum to strangers, you're not always going to like what you read, Eat your calories, exercise, be healthy and happy...and chill people..PEACE!! and stay away from the freaking buffets. :wink:
  • PJilly
    Options
    Eat your calories, exercise, be healthy and happy...and chill people..PEACE!! and stay away fromt he freaking buffets. :wink:
    Words to live by. :smile: