In Limbo.

Options
I think I'm in a weight loss limbo right now, if that makes sense. I've struggled with drug addiction and eating disorders for the last 7 years, and my weight has fluctuated so frequently that I'm 22 yrs old with stretch marks. The two addictions have always gone hand in hand, and now that I've been "healthy" (solely in regards to addictions, not my eating habits) for a little while, I've gained about, 25 lbs. Granted, my previous weight being in the 110 range, and being 5'6", I was extremely unhealthy, but putting on the weight is making me more and more antsy every day. But I honestly don't know how to diet. I know how to not eat. I just have to make it through the first couple days and then I can just flip a switch and not want food anymore. It starts to look sickening, where I become delusional in a sense because every bite of food I take I start to see go straight onto my body. Suddenly I have more padding on my hips, or my arms jiggle more, with every bite. The point is, if I keep gaining weight, despite the fact that it's mostly good, healthy weight, I know myself well enough to where I'm going to jump back into old habits and end up back on heroin or pills, and only eating when I feel like I'm going to pass out. So how do I diet? When it's so easy to fall into old habits while I'm doing it? Seriously, you would be a God send to me if you could offer up a piece of advice.
Much, much love.
-M

Replies

• dradownie
    Options
    I would recommend a Nutritionist to help/teach you the proper foods to eat. Balanced meals along with exercise will lead to weight loss.
    Good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Get some therapy, or get into NA or OA. Your disordered thinking is making you miserable. Talking about it somewhere besides an Internet forum would be really beneficial to you. I'm sorry you're in such psychological pain, but there is help.
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm 25, and 5'6 tall and weigh 130 lbs. We seem to have similar stats.
    My food diary is open to people on my friend list, and you can open your food diary so only friends can see them so we can compare each others meals, calorie intake, and exercise activities. You can add me as a friend if you want.

Also, like everyone else who have replied I do believe that asking a Nutritionist for advice is a very good idea. Try and ask one to help you plan your meals. Or you can go to your college campus clinic? there might be some experts there who can help you.

I'm sure the advice a Nutritionist can offer is a lot better than any advice that we can give you. But we can support you on your way to having a healthier lifestyle :smile:

So what do you think about asking a Nutritionist?
    And if you can't find one, can you at least try to ask your college campus clinic?
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are going through all this. Reaching out is definitely the first step but your problem goes deeper than weight loss/gain.
    You definitely need to sort out your deep seated issues hun, and work out why you turn to drugs etc.
    Trying to lose weight when you clearly have a million other issues going on is going to do your head in.
    Be kind to yourself and find someone who can help you.
    Sending you positive vibes and well wishes x