Eat back your excercise calories..or no?

Options
Hi, I have seen lots of back and forth on whether or not you should eat back your excercise calories? Does anyone know for sure? I get 1760 a day to lose 1 lb a week because I have an active job. I hear a lot of people talking about how they lose more if they stay at their alloted calories (i.e. eating them back). I usually do but not always.

Replies

• dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    If you got the calorie goal of 1760 from mfp you are expected to have a net calorie intake of 1760 meaning you are to eat back your exercise calories. If you got 1760 from subtracting from your TDEE then you exercise calories are already factored in and you should not eat them back.
  • msmindyf
    msmindyf Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I eat some, but only a portion unless it happens to be my rare splurge meal. I haven't seen it affect my numbers negatively. Now this may change as I lose more weight. Some days I work out just so I can have a little extra, kwim? Lol
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
  • cheshire29
    Options
    I have certain activities and exercising that I consider part of my "active" lifestyle (I'm not sedentary). Therefore I only log and eat back activities beyond what I plan to do. Currently I doing 30ds 3x per week, couch 25k 2x per week and lifting 3x per week. I consider all of these part of my lifestyle. Anything beyond that (such as an hour of gardening today) I will log and eat back. This is a new system for me and I hope it produces results!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I don't & I'm still alive & doing fine. I find it rather hard to eat back mine though, I end up with over 1000 to eat back each day & I just can't do it.
  • exostan
    exostan Posts: 38
    Options
    I don't. I don't have an HRM and I don't trust the readouts on the workout machines..the only other exercise I do is very slow walking with my dog (in the process of leash training) on top of an hour at the gym. At most I think I burn 250, which is a negligible amount and I'm not even sure that's accurate =P