Blew it this last week

Options
I totally blew it last week, Didn't loose, but then I didn't gain either. So I guess that is better than nothing. Yes I get discouraged just like everyone else.

I view a lot of posts and it is hard for you youngsters. But I am 61 and trying to loose. Sigh,. The older you get the harder it is too loose weight.

9 lbs and holding this week. Thanks for listening MFP community!

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Staying the same weight is not "blowing it". Even gaining is not "blowing it" unless you use that as a reason to give up and stop trying. You're here aren't you? :smile: Weight loss is not linear, and (for everyone - even strapping, active, muscular young men who burn 1000s of calories a day) there will be weeks when you do not see a loss on the scale. That is not failure, it's just how it works.

I don't know how you ate last week, and maybe if you over-ate, that's why you're feeling so bad about things, but really, even if that's the case, you haven't failed. You're still here, still logging and still determined. you've lost the first 9 lbs, and that's fantastic! You've hit a little hurdle (psychologically speaking) but this is the part where you just carry on working at it, knowing that persistence will eventually pay off.

Honestly, my biggest advice here would be to do yourself a favour and stop looking at it in such extreme terms. I notice you posted about a month ago that you had 'totally blown everything" by eating a meal of a burger and fries. Life happens. Enjoy it. Going over your calorie goal every now and then may slightly slow your progress, but it won't prevent you from reaching your goals. What does prevent people reaching their goals is allowing themselves to get so guilty, ashamed, discouraged about "ruining their diet" that they can't handle the pressure they've put on themselves and they give up. Eat, and log your food. If you eat more than you planned, forgive yourself, and see what you can do so that you make better choices next time. Move on. :flowerforyou:
  • MRSHHJONES
    MRSHHJONES Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Dear Delores, Don't beat yourself up! You have lost 9 pounds and it definitely isn't easily done when you are older. Hang in there! If you would like a friend for encouragement, you can add me for a friend if you would like...
  • moparrunner6
    Options
    i now i only lost .1 lb in 1 month.but gained mussel mass.and im 50 at 448 lbs
  • Deloresbolt
    Deloresbolt Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Jester, Thanks, I think I just needed a little encouragement. I ate things I shouldn't have eaten. And yes you are right. I shouldn't beat my self up over a single week. Thanks for the words, and boulstering up my self esteem.:smile:
  • Deloresbolt
    Options
    Moparrunner. wow thanks thanks for looking at my post. You can do too!! Especially for that baby you are holding!
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    Thanks, I think I just needed a little encouragement. I ate things I shouldn't have eaten. And yes you are right. I shouldn't beat my self up over a single week. Thanks for the words, and boulstering up my self esteem.:smile:

We all have weeks like that, just dust yourself off and get back on it! You got this! :smile:
  • Deloresbolt
    Options
    Thanks MrshhJones, it was the encouragement from the community I needed. And to all, Nope, not quitting!!
  • Deloresbolt
    Options
    JustAmyDawn, Wow, it is amazing to me to see total strangers helping me with my little slump. Thanks again everyone. It helps, it really does help to know that people care
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    well I am just a bit younger than you ( not by much) and sometimes we have days like this.. you didn't gain.. and you can always get back on track tomorrow!!! Don't beat yourself up...sometimes we actually need a bit of a break...hang in there!!
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Congrats on not gaining! Today's my birthday and I ate so much (4000 calories!!!) and feel gross and fat and disgusting :(
  • dixieracer27
    dixieracer27 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Don't let it get you down! That was last week and that's the past, focus on tomorrow and the week ahead. None of us are perfect, and we all have our moments. Keep on going...
  • christy567
    Options
    I've had my ups and down too. Started in January lost 4 pounds the first week. Only 1-2 each week thereafter. Total weight down is 12 pounds but how long is this going to take? I have good days and bad days when I am really hungry and bored and want more to snack on then diet things. I'm 65 and also know it's harder to lose when you are older since we are not as active as before. I walk my dog every day as part of my exercise routine and try to keep track of my steps with a pedometer.
  • christy567
    Options
    I'm 65 now and about 35-40 overweight for my height of 5'4". I started out at 172 in January and now weigh 160. I know that sticking to a 1200 calorie a day diet isn't easy but I'm determined to lose this weight by summer.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    it's ok. forgive yourself and move on. this is a lifestyle choice and without the odd slip up or treat, you'll end up feeling deprived. so the past week you have made some not-so-good choices- remember how you feel now and take that forward with you because it will help you stay on track in the future.
  • nicoleknapp754
    Options
    I'm 62 and on insulin and have managed to lose 55 lbs since January 2012. I think the key for me is limiting my carb intake so that my blood sugars don't go too high along with my daily exercise which is two walks daily to also help keep my blood sugars at an acceptable level without having to take meal time insulin .
  • Deloresbolt
    Options
    WOW so many good inspirations!! Thanks Nicole
  • tdfarmer
    tdfarmer Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Allot of encouragement in the second post. The original post sounds just like me, for a month. Really about to give in. Found some encouragement!
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I totally blew it last week, Didn't loose, but then I didn't gain either.

Been there. It's disappointing but at least you didn't gain.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've been in a bit of a funk for the last few weeks and not lost (or gained) for about 3 weeks. I'm still here, still logging, still trying to think positively.
    But I try and remember that I didn't gain the weight overnight so I won't lose it overnight - it will take time and it won't always be linear.
    Keep it up, seems like you're doing fine overall :-)
  • Deloresbolt
    Options
    WOW PU-239 you are right, age should not be the excuse.