Help shopping for women's running shoes?

Hello everyone.

Hopefully this isn't too random, but I need a little shopping help. My wife's birthday is coming up -- I want to get her some nice workout shoes as a surprise. Unfortunately, I lack expertise in women's shoes, being a man. Any suggestions? I would like to spend around $100. They don't have to be running shoes in particular - maybe more like cross-trainers.

I read through this guide which purports to list some top contenders for women's active footwear : Best Women's Exercise Shoes. Unfortunately, it perhaps left me more confused than before. Are any of those a particularly good choice?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edit: oops, sorry. I couldn't get the link to work. Here's the site's URL, in case it helps suggest anything: http://www.squidoo.com/best-exercise-top-10-aerobic-shoes-for-women-2013-cross-training-conditioning-walking-running.

Replies

• As a collegiate track athlete, I can vouch for the most popular brands on our team- Mizuno, Brooks, and Asics. However, it is important that your wife be comfortable in her shoes. Perhaps it would be good to get her a gift certificate for a shoe store so she can go and see what feels best on her feet, because personal preference is a huge factor in choosing running shoes.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    As a collegiate track athlete, I can vouch for the most popular brands on our team- Mizuno, Brooks, and Asics. However, it is important that your wife be comfortable in her shoes. Perhaps it would be good to get her a gift certificate for a shoe store so she can go and see what feels best on her feet, because personal preference is a huge factor in choosing running shoes.

^^This! Either take her to a running store so they can properly fit her or get her a gift certificate to one of these stores. If she is properly fitted for running shoes it will help protect her back, hips, knees, shins, ankles, and feet.

Good luck!!
  • mellymellyme
    mellymellyme Posts: 2 Member
    nike free runs are the most comfortable running shoes I have ever owned. they cost $100 so it might work for you if your wife likes the colors. as the person above said, let her go to the store and pick them herself. colors can be tricky to pick!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Gift certificate! Each person is gonna feel different in the bazillion brands and models out there. Have her go to a running store and get an analysis done and get properly fitted. There are so many types of shoes designed to correct problems, etc. Don't just guess on this one! :flowerforyou:
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Assuming you are in Orem, I'll help you out since I know the area.

First of all, you can NOT just buy any shoe. There are so many types of running shoes that you really need to buy the right one. Most people make the mistake of buying the wrong one and get shin splints or worse an injury. I hate websites that advertise "Top Running Shoes" because there is no such thing.

You'll need a good running store, in orem there really isn't one but there is:

http://runners-corner.com/

If you can go to SLC, which I HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest. Since they can outfit her ALOT better since they have all the tools:

http://saltlakerunningco.com/home/

I can not stress enough how much running shoes are more important than anything else in running.