having a hard time with 1200 calories in 6 portions a day

Options
13»

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Curious and you may have mentioned this...what is the reasoning for your diet prescription?
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Beef Jerky
    Applesauce
    Cantaloupe (a giant 12oz bowl of cubed cantaloup is only 120 cals)
    Good High-fiber bread (it's filling; my favorite is Great Harvest's Honey Whole Wheat)
    Cottage Cheese
    Oatmeal
    Greek Yogurt
    Carrots (with or without hummus)

I tried 1200 cals/day for 2 days, then realized it wasn't enough for me. I eat 1400 calories, in 3 meals plus 2 or 3 snacks per day.
  • Audji84
    Audji84 Posts: 3
    Options
    Not sure if you are a big tea or coffee drinker but neither have calories(coffee might have 5 or something per cup) so you can drink this at night with cream and milk and just like the soup it will trick your stomach into thinking you are full. I always drink a big hot cup of chai tea(with cream and a little bit of sugar) in the evening to prevent myself from indulging in things I shouldn't be. My body is used to having lots of caffeine- but if this isn't the case for you then you could do decaf or drink these during the day.

Also, check out flavored rice cakes, oatmeal, peanut butter, banannas, energy bars, and just smaller portions in general of any food. It really comes down to training yourseld into eating less so that it just becomes habit and the cravings will go away. Its just like the saying if you do anything for 21 days it becomes a habit:drinker:

Good Luck!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I just started a dr. supervised and she wants me to eat 1200 calories a day in 6 portions. That works out to 200 calories a meal. I'm having a really hard time finding things to eat that fit those perameters. Anybody got any ideas where I can look for ideas?

This is one method that I fail at every time. The 200 cals per meal is not sufficient. Even though there are 6 of them, it's just enough food to make me want more. I always end up binging on this plan. However, steamed vegetables will hopefully see you through. for 200 cals you can have 1 egg, a side of broccoli, a side of cauliflower, and an apple. you will have 20 calories left over. Of course you could trade the egg for tuna, or a small amount of chicken or nuts.
  • daneiel
    daneiel Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    BUmp
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I just started a dr. supervised and she wants me to eat 1200 calories a day in 6 portions. That works out to 200 calories a meal. I'm having a really hard time finding things to eat that fit those perameters. Anybody got any ideas where I can look for ideas?

Omelets or scrambles, using 1/2-3/4 c Egg Beaters, 1/8-1/4 cup fat free cheese, 2 oz of lean ham or turkey sausage, and bulk up with lots of veggies- spinach, mushrooms, onions, etc. 200-250 cals

4 oz grilled chicken breast- 110 cals, add a large side salad with low cal dressing, or steamed veggies. total under 200 cals

EAS premixed protein drink, blended with 1/2 c frozen strawberries- 150 cals

small low carb tortilla (80c) with 2 oz chicken (55c) 1/4 avocado (50c) and shredded lettuce

Orange and a serving of almonds

Deli sliced ham, 4 slices (50c) slice of reduced fat cheese (60 cal) rolled around cucumber spears, carrot sticks, or rolled in a lettuce leaf. Add some avocado for another 50 cals of good fats.

You don't have to eat whole huge meals, they are more of what you would probably consider a snack. Focus on getting in 1 gr of protein per pound of LBM, and .4 gr of healthy fat per LBM, and fill the rest with high fiber carbs in veggies and fruits, with moderate grains.

I feel like I am eating all day long, and never get starving hungry.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

"It's not the poison, it's the dosage.", right? You know what foods you want to eat but you can't eat much of those foods without blowing over 1200 cals. Yup, that's the way things are here - we don't need a lot of food but food is plentiful and cheap. When you combine that, it's hard, at first, to figure out what to eat when you want to lose weight.

Yup, join the club!

My diary is open - go back to the entries from Spring of 2011 and you'll see what I was eating at about that calorie level. One thing that helped me was to up my percentage of protein - that doesn't help lose weight faster but protein takes longer to digest than carbs or fat so I rarely felt hungry, even at a low calorie level.

Good luck with your weight loss!