No carbs at night...

Options
So, where do you stand? I'm just curious...I've had a couple people tell me that the last bit of carbs they eat a day is at lunch or afternoon snack and then that's it. I understand the concept, but I'm curious...do you carb or not close to sleeping? If you don't, has it helped you?

Replies

• watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My insomnia and circadian rhythm makes this difficult to answer. I generally stick to protein/fats before sleeping, but I sometimes sleep after eating breakfast (carb heavy), sometimes skip dinner and have it the next morning after breakfast or as a second dinner, or at 6:35 am am about to have 2 dinners and depending on if I'm tired or not, breakfast. I also get between 1.5 and 11 hours of sleep a night/day.

My previous loss of 61.5 lb was with just lean protein and fibrous carbs before sleeping, so it does work. Did it help? I have no idea.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. Eat when you want, stay in your Cal's, and hit your macros and you be fine
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    But then how would I drink my whiskey or beer?? LOL

I don't really pay attention to when I eat carbs. I eat most of my food in the evening anyway and it has not affected my weight loss at all. I have lost weight exactly as expected.
  • Oncebittentwiceshy38
    Oncebittentwiceshy38 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    agree
  • WendySPWarren
    WendySPWarren Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Your body need carbs for general upkeep, growth and repairs during the night especially. I wouldn't cut out carbs, but I wouldn't pig out before bed either.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i eat carbs all night.......
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I eat a large amount of carbs just before bedtime every night for around 2 years. Have lost 86lbs. Don't believe stupid myths.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I had most of my daily carbs late tonight. So far, everything seems okay!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    What concept? why can't you eat carbs at night?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. Eat when you want, stay in your Cal's, and hit your macros and you be fine

This.
    I eat a large amount of carbs just before bedtime every night for around 2 years. Have lost 86lbs. Don't believe stupid myths.

And this.

I eat the majority of carbs at night because it helps me sleep better which helps my body to recover.
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options

^^ This.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I make sure to only eat proteins while standing on my head. So far so good.
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I just had a whole wheat toast with melted cheese and a slice of tomato on top,
    and it tasted pretty darn good (even though it's almost midnight.)
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter when you eat what. I eat chocolate at night and I always lose weight the next day (this might be a problem :P).
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Not that I like links where the actual data is behind a paywall and only the abstract is free, but this (single study) suggests the opposite may be true: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    I think people only lose weight with the no carbs at night rule because carbs tend to be higher in calories and if they aren't allowed to eat them at night...

I was watching The Doctors yesterday and even they said you can eat whenever, just maybe avoid eating a meal 90 minutes before bed because some people have trouble sleeping, but a 100-150 calorie snack right before bed is fine.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    4 hours before going to bed
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Everyone metabolises differently BUT

I eat pasta, I eat bread, I eat potatoes, I drink wine and after 3 months I'm just over halfway to my goal.

A calorie is a calorie.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I try to keep some calorie buffer specifically so that I can munch some bread just before going to bed.

Carbs'll help you sleep, based on proper science with long names for stuff.

If I can put some crisps on it too then all the better. Red Rock Deli ones preferably ... yum.

I did Paleo for a while, sorry, but I just like bread, what can I say :)
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    i eat carbs whenever. see ticker