Your thoughts on homemade protein bars

Options
UsernameStillLoading
UsernameStillLoading Posts: 299 Member
I'm thinking of making my own protein bars from home...what are your experiences on this? Did you find them a hassle to make? Did you find it useful to make them from home as opposed to buying them pre-made? What recipes did you use? Which one is your favorite?

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I prefer baked protein bars and the "ease" of no bake isn't really that simple as they make it seem... also you can't really bring a food item with you all day if it needs to be cold. Everyone's needs for protein bars are going to be different, so I'd just google / youtube search recipes that sounds good to you.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I just add beans to everything
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    uhh that sounds fun. Not.
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I only eat homemade protein bars now! WAY healthier than the crap you buy at the store, plus you can customize them to your liking. Here are a couple that I made last week and were delicious.

Rich Chocolate Protein Bars (adapted from Muffin Top Less)

• 1 Cup Oat Flour
    • 2 Scoops Chocolate Casein protein powder (Whey will give a different consistency... But I've used both whey and casein)
    • 4 TB Unsweetened Baking Cocoa
    • 1/2 Cup Stevia (or other natural zero cal sweetener)
    • 1/4 tsp Salt (do not omit!)
    • 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
    • 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
    • 8 oz Unsweetened Applesauce
    • 1/2 Cup Liquid Egg Whites
    • 4 oz Water
    Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray (I used Pam).
    2. Mix dry ingredients together, then add wet ingredients. Mix until you get out all the lumps.
    3. Pour mixture into baking dish and stick it in the oven for about 22 minutes for softer protein bars and closer to 25 minutes for firmer bars. Keep an eye on them at the 22 minute mark because each oven may vary.
    4. Take out of the oven and let cool. Once cool, cut into 9 bars. I prefer to refrigerate mine but they will keep out of the oven for a few days.
    Nutrition Facts: (this will vary slightly depending on the protein powder you choose).
    Per Bar: 102 Calories _ 14 g Carbs _ 1 g Fat _ 9 g Protein _ 3 g Fiber _ 3 g Sugar

Then on some others I just vary the ingredients by adding oats, walnuts, using vanilla powder instead of chocolate, adding PB2 or organic peanut butter, etc.
  • lqmustang
    lqmustang Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I only eat homemade protein bars now! WAY healthier than the crap you buy at the store, plus you can customize them to your liking. Here are a couple that I made last week and were delicious.

• 1 Cup Oat Flour
    • 2 Scoops Chocolate Casein protein powder (Whey will give a different consistency... But I've used both whey and casein)
    • 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
    • 4 oz Water
    Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray (I used Pam).
    2. Mix dry ingredients together, then add wet ingredients. Mix until you get out all the lumps.
    3. Pour mixture into baking dish and stick it in the oven for about 22 minutes for softer protein bars and closer to 25 minutes for firmer bars. Keep an eye on them at the 22 minute mark because each oven may vary.
    4. Take out of the oven and let cool. Once cool, cut into 9 bars. I prefer to refrigerate mine but they will keep out of the oven for a few days.
    Nutrition Facts: (this will vary slightly depending on the protein powder you choose).
    Per Bar: 102 Calories _ 14 g Carbs _ 1 g Fat _ 9 g Protein _ 3 g Fiber _ 3 g Sugar

Then on some others I just vary the ingredients by adding oats, walnuts, using vanilla powder instead of chocolate, adding PB2 or organic peanut butter, etc.

I may have to give this a try, sounds simple and easy.
  • baker150
    baker150 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just made a black bean protein bar last night, they are amazing and quite filling for the one bar! I am obsessed with Larabars, but I also enjoy making my own healthy snacks, so it really all depends.
  • WickedZoey
    WickedZoey Posts: 401 Member
    Options

• 1 Cup Oat Flour
    • 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
    • 4 oz Water
    Directions:

Love muffintopless!