Does anyone struggle in high heels?

Options
fun_b
fun_b Posts: 199 Member
I have tried for years to walk in heels but I always end up looking awkward and unsteady. I am wondering if this is related to my weight. I know a lot of skinny ladies who go clubbing in outrageously high heals and don't have any problems. I am hoping this is related to weight so one day I will be able to walk in some amazing heels.

Replies

• MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    It helps to practice walking around in heels at home. If you seldom wear heels you may find your tendons hurt, and you aren't used to balancing in heels so you feel unsteady. A pair of higher wedgies is more stable and good to learn on, so to speak.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I hate to say that I don't think it has a lot to do with weight... Not sure though. I never had a problem walking (and dancing) in high heels. I don't find them comfortable but I think 90% of women walking in high heels (skinny or not) will tell you (when theyre honest) that it is not comfy.
  • Just2Bhappy
    Just2Bhappy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    IDK I'm in the normal weight zone and I stomp around like a horse in heels. LOL
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Weight will make them more uncomfortable as the extra weight puts more pressure on the balls of your feet however practice makes perfect! You have to train yourself to walk in heels and to be able to wear them for any length of time
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Honestly sod high heels. I just don't see the point. Lol.

I have one pair which are just stupidly comfy (they're high too, I think they just fit my feet right unlike most) and I will wear them for a special occasion. That's it.

Flats all the way! ;)
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    you could try different styles of shoes they are not all equal.

as for me, i'll just live in my tennis shoes and stomp around like a horse a few times a year.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    great minds think alike
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I absolutely believe that the heavier you are the harder it is to be comfortable in heels. You put all your weight on a relatively small area of your foot - the more weight the more pressure, I reckon this is why my feet always start aching after an hour or so. I've not worn heels for ages but will be interested to note when I do if it feels easier.

With walking technique I'm sure that practice makes perfect so walking around the house a few times every now and again is probably a good idea, especially to wear in new shoes :smile:
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    yes, me. I can't walk with those thin heels at all, I need bulkier heels to be able to walk :laugh:
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I think it is practice and the style of the shoe. I wear them for work and 2.5" is where I'm comfortable... You don't need them to be super high to look nice. Maybe try a Mary-Jane type with a strap to help keep it on your foot?
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    IDK I'm in the normal weight zone and I stomp around like a horse in heels. LOL
    pretty much me after a couple of hours and my feet are sore.
  • xTJSx
    xTJSx Posts: 106
    Options
    I cant wear high heels but think that's more to do with me breaking my leg a few years ago than anything else.
  • AmazingTech
    Options
    I don't tend to wear them im not far off six foot as it is so don't need to be taller than all the guys lol
    wear them around the house to get used to them after a little while I can manage in most heights buy something with a wider heel and walk heel toe heel toe ive broken my leg twice and have a rubbish weak ankle but still manage it in anything up to about a 5 inch heel
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Practice. I find stilletos to be a bit tricky, but I've got tons of 4 and 5 inch platforms and wedge heels. Just takes practice!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I love the way heels make my legs look, but I'm aware that they're not very good for your feet or your hamstrings so I don't wear them every day. I was born in the 1950s so yes, I can walk in them gracefully! I've discovered a dreadfully expensive brand made in Italy (Thierry Rabotin) that's much more comfprtable than the cheapervariety.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    It's practice makes perfect. You also develop a technique of distributing the weight as you lower your foot to the ground with each stride. It's different to normal shoes. Took me about 3-4 years to get the hang of it!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • mellymo29
    mellymo29 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I remember wearing heels in high school with no problems, but later in my 30s I got a bunion, so my foot was too wide for sexy shoes. But I think a good sensible Dansko clog or an Ecco shoe is both comfy and lasts forever. I think clubbing in my 20s I lived in the Deep South, and it was so damn hot we wore thong shoes and shorts anyway. Kind of tropical lifestyle.
  • crazy4fids
    crazy4fids Posts: 173
    Options
    A few thoughts:
    1) buy an EXPENSIVE/CONFORTABLE pair of shoes. Just because you will only be wearing them occasionally, doesn't mean you should buy the cheapest pair you can find.
    2) try and find something with a chunkier heel and not a stiletto. A fatter heel will help you balance better.
    3) Because you will be spending more money on this pair of shoes, buy something that is neutral, say, black leather (not patent leather). This was you will be able to wear it with more of your wardrobe.
    4) If you like being taller, find a pair of platform shoes with a heel. The give you the benefits of both worlds
    5) Practice wearing them around the house. It does take time to learn how to walk in heels.
    6) take smaller steps. It keeps you from looking like a giraffe on roller skates.
    :love:
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I do definitely. After spending the last year and a bit just loafing around in trainers, I had to wear medium heels for a business meeting and it was awful, I think I almost tripped up about 16 times in a 30 min walk, and my feet were not happy the next day.

Really don't think it's a weight issue though, I'm at a very healthy weight and it was not a pleasurable experience. I guess it is more to do with practice and your feet getting used to it!