Hi from New Zealand

Options
Ariantha
Ariantha Posts: 15 Member
Hi, I'm 27 and have always had a problem with my weight (even when it was purely psychological) and I recently managed to lose 25 kg on a diet that my dietician recommended. Thanks to that diet and the motivation it gave me I'm exercising regularly and am even setting exercise goals that I would never have even thought about before starting this journey to getting healthy.

I can't continue the diet I was on because my Coeliac Disease seems to be reacting to it now so I've been trying to get started losing weight "the old fashioned way" with this website helping me to stay accountable for my food. I've never been good at keeping food diaries and I've found coming here to enter in my food for the day is much better as I can see the effect each food item will have on my goals.

I have one problem...I'm addicted to chocolate. I have managed to get rid of my diet coke addiction but chocolate seems to be a little bit harder. If I have chocolate in the house it doesn't last very long and if I don't have it in the house I go out and buy it, especially once a month. Does anyone else struggle with this? Anyone got any advice aside from more willpower? I really need to get this under control as I have another 25 kg or so to lose and I don't want it to take ages.

Replies

• brianhart103
    brianhart103 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ah... New Zealand! I was down there a few years ago - in Hamilton, Wellington, and Christchurch. Beautiful country.

As for the chocolate conundrum... I don't remember seeing whether you all had these in NZ or not, but in the US, we have an energy bar type of food called Clif bars. Most of my diet consists of these, and it's been working really well. Pretty much every flavor of Clif bar has chocolate in it. I don't know if there's anything in there that would upset your Coeliac's or not, though.

Another idea you may try is keeping individual chocolate squares around. This way, you can get your chocolate fix in a small manageable portion without having to worry about the rest of the bar spoiling (or being eaten). This is also good for your idea about seeing the impact of each food; unfortunately, even the chocolate squares start adding up, though, so in the end willpower to set a limit of squares each day is necessary, but it's something to try if you haven't already.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!
  • Ariantha
    Ariantha Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the suggestions. It looks like Clif bars have gluten in them and have too many calories in them for me to consider them a snack. I was naughty and bought baby chocolate fish for myself for easter (I really need to cancel/ignore the e-newsletters I get that sometimes advertise chocolate and other nefarious goods), I will have to be a good girl and limit them to 2 fish per day. I'm thinking of having them with a Jarrah Hot Chocolatte (48 calories) and having that as my fix per day. What do you think?

BTW I think NZ is beautiful too, it's a good thing considering I could never afford to leave!
  • brianhart103
    brianhart103 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You know, I don't think I ever had a Jarrah while I was down there. The chocolate fish, I do remember, though. Those would be good to snack on, and yeah... giving yourself a concrete number which you won't exceed is definitely a good thing. Just remember your goals, and remember that excess chocolate will keep you from them. Splurge every once in a while, but not everyday.