Vegetarians?

Options
I was wondering how many vegetarians are here? I have been reading alot about it...

Replies

• AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    Ex vegan here. I can point you in the direction of some good recipes.
  • newbierun14
    newbierun14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm veggie! Been so since January 1, 2010 (it was my new year's resolution). I love it! If you need any help at all in transitioning or with recipes, just ask!
  • missygal
    missygal Posts: 60
    Options
    Have you notice a difference since you changed over?
  • Tamiash
    Tamiash Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump- would love to see the follow up to this subject
  • newbierun14
    newbierun14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I definitely have, not in weight loss per se, but in overall health yes. I made the switch mostly for environmental issues and animal rights, didn't really know much about the health benefits before i changed. And since it's happened, it's been a huge bonus and now probably my main reason for sticking with it. I have so much more energy, and constant energy too. I also find since I'm getting so many more real foods, less processed stuff, I stay fuller longer and don't eat as much. One last thing is, I haven't gotten sick, at all since switching. I used to get colds once a month or so, I didn't think I had a great immune system, but now I know I was just wasn't giving my body the right fuel to fight stuff off. I have not sniffled or sneezed or seriously felt sick at all since becoming a vegetarian. Maybe it's partially in my mind but even with spring and going through the big pollen season, nothing. It's amazing!

There are some great books out there you should check out if you haven't already read them. The Food Revolution by John Robbins and also In defense of Food by Michael Pollen. Really great books that just go into all of the crazy crazy myths of why we eat what we eat, and then they back it all up with facts. In addition, watching Food Inc. will make you want to be a vegetarian/eating local food almost immediately.

Finally, it's really a lot of fun figuring out how to make things and try out new recipes. I really really like it. If you have any other questions please ask!
  • melliz73
    melliz73 Posts: 14
    Options
    I am and have been for 5 months! Love it and won't go back but it is still a challenge to eat healthy. It means more cooking and being prepared which I am not always good at and since french fries are veggie I can get caught up in the wrong things. My understanding is that if you eat a true healthy and fresh veggie diet it will help with weight loss. That is what I am starting to do now.

Melissa
  • jesielin23
    jesielin23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone was a very interesting vegan book.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    On again-off again veggie. Still don't eat as much meat as I used to. All I have to say is "Long Live the Boca Burger!" So good.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I've been a veggie for 24 years. The main thing to remember is that there's a lot of vegetarian junk food out there - you won't lose weight quitting meat. Stick to foods with one ingredient as much as possible (recipes don't count :smile: ).
  • missygal
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I'm going to definetly check out those books.
  • salyha01
    salyha01 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been a veggie for 24 years. The main thing to remember is that there's a lot of vegetarian junk food out there - you won't lose weight quitting meat. Stick to foods with one ingredient as much as possible (recipes don't count :smile: ).

This is the best post I have seen regarding the whole veggie issue. It is NOT a diet as so many think that it is. It is a conscious decision that can be made for a number of different rationales. I was a vegetarian for a number of years. My family is the epitome of meat and potatoes. Aaand meat and meat. It was a big change and I never really noticed too much of a difference. Later, when I finally ate meat again (the blessed Zambian meat which is 100% free range, no hormones- just raised the way a cow was meant to live) I loved it. Not enough to eat it religiously, but what I did notice was the difference between farm fresh and processed/raised. I think that if you want to go veg. great, just make sure that it is for the right reasons. I still eat a mostly veg diet (just my preference) and the reason it works so well and it is so easy is that as stated above, most all that I eat is fresh(ish) and as stated above 'one ingredient'.

The cleaner you eat the better you feel- thats my thought, with or without the meat.

Love soup, buy a crock pot, stay away from corn syrup and make sure that you can pronounce 99% of what you eat and you will feel great- oh, and eat legumes... daily. Quinoa too... mmmm black beans.....
  • mindalyn
    mindalyn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    hello- i just started this and have finished 3 weeks i think, maybe 2. but it's not that bad really. i am not a huge veggie eater and love my meats. but i was feeling so heavy and crappy all the time after my meals. so i looked in to the fruit diet, did that for a day and then decided i would try eating vegetarian, if not for a lifestyle, but just to give it a try and see what it is about. i am still having cravings for meat, but not so bad, only when i cook it for my family. i have noticed i am eating a lot healthier, more fruits and veggies. i do feel a lot better, i am not sure if eating veg is why, but i am going to keep it going for a while i think and see. since i live in a different country, i haven't found any boca burgers or anything like that, but i am interested in trying them when i get back to the states. everything is in a language i can't understand, so shopping has been a challenge, so i have stayed away from tofu and such. my meals have been easy and mostly cooked veggies. i would love to also hear about some easy HEALTHY veg recipes if anyone has any to share! good luck!
  • melliz73
    melliz73 Posts: 14
    Options
    When I made the decision to go Veg it was for a number of reasons but primarily because I manage and work for an animal welfare organization and feel very strongly about the way that animals are treated in factory farms. I did a lot of reading and research and have been happy with my decision but it has been far from easy. The best book for recipes that I have seen is the "Quick-Fix Vegetarian" by Robin Robertson which has amazing meals that can be thrown together in 30 minutes or less. I also like to refer to "Vegetarian Cooking for Dummies" when I do cook. I got both on Amazon.

The challenge for me remains eating healthy and not slipping into the veggie junk food swamp. Although I am better at eating healthy at dinner, the rest of my day tends to be shot on easy fast food fixes. As I start to focus on me again, part of my goal is to get out of that habit and get back to eating fresh and healthy.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    Vegan with a Vengeance is a good one also. Roasted cashew pineapple quinoa stir fry is still one of my favorites. I never would have discovered quinoa had it not been for my decision to go veggie when I did. I am still on and off as well.
  • Yana150
    Yana150 Posts: 226
    Options
    It's nice to see other vegetarians. I have been veg since March, and I really enjoy how much better I feel.

For anyone interested, I would suggest a few books: The Vegan Table (great recipes) and The Vegetarian Times cook book. I really enjoy several of the recipes out of each. I even got my carnovire SO to try some of the recipes too.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options

Right on! So many TVP (textured veggie protein or "fake meat") have a lot of artificial ingredients to compensate for taste or texture...similar to lowfat or nonfat things.

I've been vegetarian for four years. It's a TOTAL lifestyle change. Your body works with you instead of against you. Aside from health and enviornmental reasons, vegetarianism is all about eating WHOLE FOODS.

I honestly don't miss meat at all and would never go back to it!

I have tons of great recipes too if you're interested! :smile:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for all of my 25 years, feel free to PM me if you wish.
    Try vegweb.com for some great recipes. The Moosewood cookbooks are also great.
  • nicoleparrish
    Options
    Thank you! It sounds like so many people try the Veggie route as a weight loss program. If you decide to go this route, like some have said, DO IT FOR THE RIGHT REASONS!! Eating healthy in general is the best way to go. Cutting out meats will not guarantee you weight loss. Research it before you try it.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for over 16 1/2 years. I haven't ever considered going back to eating meat. I have flirted with being a vegan, but haven't made the transition.
  • missygal
    Options
    The cruelty to animals is my main for the change. I just tried the vegan patties by Morning Star and it wasn't too bad. May take a little getting use to.