Can one day of bad eating cause weight gain ?

Options
I've lost 20kg, and I'm maintaining my weight from now on and I still eat healthy, Yesterday however I had half a pizza and a lot of chocolate and things because of Easter and I am paranoid it would of took a dramatic turn for my weight. I am so paranoid! I heard 'one day' of bad eating won't ruin things but is that true? Please somebody help?

Thanks

Replies

• mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    it might have a short term impact on the scale because of the salt will make you retain water. They say it is healthy to have a splurge day once in a while to maintain.
  • rachpetersen
    rachpetersen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    no it won't.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    No. Depending on how much sodium was taken in you may see a weight gain due to weight retention but given a few days for that to work through your system it will be a wash. I would suggest staying off the scale for 3 or 4 days and allow for the water weight to go off...
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    One day isn't going to do any long term damage, particularly if you have been strict with sticking to your calories & macros other than that. Just don't let it go on to 2 days, 3 days, etc.
  • JenS2586
    JenS2586 Posts: 85
    Options
    I have a bad day I tend to go up 4-5lbs, but its usually water weight and if I go back to normal routine and diet it wil go back down within 2-3days tops.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    No, it won't unless you let it. Seriously, if you use the "well, I already messed up so I might as well eat everything in sight" excuse and repeat it over and over then yes it will cause weight gain. But no, one or 2 days will not ruin your progress.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have a bad day I tend to go up 4-5lbs, but its usually water weight and if I go back to normal routine and diet it wil go back down within 2-3days tops.

^This^
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    water weight, thats it. so drink up! drink water that is
  • jturne1
    jturne1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Nope, as colbyandsage and others stated, get back to your weight loss macros and the weight fluctuation will disappear within a few days.

Don't turn one excessive day into a string of binges and you will be just fine.

Congrats on the weightloss so far! Keep up the hard work.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    To gain a pound of fat you'd have to eat 3500 calories above maintenance. Most likely you'll see some water weight gain and then in a few days you'll be back to your normal weight. One day of bad eating won't make you fat, just like one day of eating healthy won't make you skinny.
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    I got back from two back to back business trips over the course of 8 days last week, ate and drank too much on the second one, got home and was up 4lbs on the scale, three days later I was down 5 from my last weigh in, so just give it time.

I still weigh daily even after bad days, its kind of like my sick little punishment for having a bad day....
  • gabijadc
    gabijadc Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I had three cakes + cheese cake + creme brulee + chocolate candy on Easter. My breakfast/lunch must have been about 2000 kcal, and lasted about 3 hours.
    Twice or three times ever year on Easter and Christmas Eve I pig out like there is no tomorrow and I don't even feel sorry, ha!
    You're gonna be fine :)
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm no doc but it's water retention. Since, I'm on the imperial system 3500 calories is roughly 1 pound of fat but this is, at best, an inexact science. So say the scale shows 5 pounds ... that is 17,500 calories on top of your BMR or a really tremendous amount of food. The scale is only one yard stick. You could also measure your waist and see that nothing changed.
  • Biindi
    Biindi Posts: 10
    Options
    Some really good information and perspectives here. One day is one day - try not to go too crazy on these challenging foodie days, and pull it back in the next day. It's consistency...all those individual decisions each day that will help you achieve your goals over the long term. Don't beat yourself up over one day. Good luck - now get back on track!
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    Assuming you don't have any underline issues like insulin resistance it will not cause you weight gain for the week. I have an insulin resistance (PCOS) and if I have a really bad day it will possibly cause me to gain weight for the week.
  • Dragon67
    Dragon67 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I do it now and then - and I did yesterday. You do need to enjoy yourself every now and then.

A couple days of ****ty eating won't ruin your....keywords here....healthy lifestyle. Eating excess amounts of chocolate, drinking 30 beers and going crazy on 20 McDoubles, doing shots of tequilla - it happens to everyone.
  • mochablend
    mochablend Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Dfonte, your binge diet is scaring me!
  • missebet
    missebet Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No it will not derail your downward momentum. We all need to indulge ourselves once in a while. I think of those days as a reward for doing as well as I have.