How Long would You survive Without your Mobile phone???

Options
regosaki
regosaki Posts: 265 Member
As we live in the world of Facebook and Twittering, I just wondered...How long would you survive without your mobile phone/smart phone/ wise phone/ whatever stupid name they give them next?

I moved to France 7 months ago and in doing, I gave up my contract mobile and went 'Phoneless' for the first time in my adult life, and I have to say, it feels fantastic, my time is my own, when I go out I am not distracted by the latest brainless ringtone of a frog farting or someone screaming as they are brutally murdered by being beaten to death by a Nokia 5510, It's great.

I strongly urge you to try it for yourselves, next time your going out somewhere make the concious decision to leave your mobile phone at home and see how liberated you feel!

SO the only question remains is "How long could you survive without YOUR Mobile phone"?

Replies

• franyjayne
    franyjayne Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The making and receiving calls I wouldn't miss, but the apps and Internet - probably an hour before I start to get twitchy!! I thought I had left it somewhere last night and got a little panicky this morning when I couldn't find it. It was under my pillow - phew!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/910659-if-you-lost-your-phone?hl=What+if+you+lost+your+phone

I actually asked this same question at the beginning of the month. The link above shows some of the responses.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • simplynaturalfarm
    simplynaturalfarm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My husband has one and that is one too many for me. His attention is always divided and the only way he doesn't have his ear cocked for it is if he knows it has been shut off.
    He has tried to get me one for years and while frugality arguments always win, I also tell him that there is no explanation for the dislike I have for it that a cell phone user would understand *G*
    I believe they are wonderful tools for business and for safety, but they suck when it comes to relationship building and real friendships.
    I also get tired of the immediacy every single person expects, "I had a thought - where were you when I tried to call?"
    One day DH phoned 5 times in a row while i was outside working. He sounded a bit worried, so when I got in, I phoned back and told him I was fine. He asked where in the world was I, and I said how much I love him, but that I don't actually sit by the phone waiting for people to call me every time they have a thought. He was actually a trifle offended about it initially, but he knows how much I love to talk to him - we talk on the phone about an hour each day (yes, even if he only has a 6 mile commute we talk on the phone :), and he laughed and said that he just gets used to people always being there for texts and calls.
    He gets jittery and weird if he misplaces it (or I move it), and even though he is not supposed to be on call anymore because he closed his business, his clients know they can talk to him any second they desire for questions that are not appropriate due to his business being closed. We are actually talking about changing the number so only family has it.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    errr the issue is how long would I survive w/o MFP

I own a samsung note 2 but really only ever use it to tell the time...music and mfp
    hate people calling me unless it's an emergency....hate being bombarded with texts and whatsapp (unless it's another emergency or something worthwhile...then call)

all I need is my kindle up, mfp, possibly my note session with my to do list and all is well....I'd feel pretty sh*te not having it there, it's like a safety blanket....so I'd say about a month realistically....two if I could have it with me BUT not call etc
  • TeresaWash
    TeresaWash Posts: 283
    Options
    I could easily. I have one but rarely use it. I hate phones... but I love the internet and have not upgraded to a "smart phone" yet, so if i ever do.... I might be more "attached"?

Peoples addiction to their phone dRiVeS mE nUtZzZz
  • darias_mommy
    darias_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Forevere. I could totally survive because I have a dumb phone and I only use it for emergencies. As long as I have access to A phone to call for help- I'd be fine. I don't even text! Everyone teases me, but I say those things are the downfall of society. no offense to people who use them, my own teen texts and has an iphone- they are just not for me. I like to live in the moment and not take pics and post everything I do. I'll probably get ripped apart for my opinion!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    My phone doesn't work when I cross the border so every time I travel, I don't have a phone. I don't miss it. Hell, it'd probably save me money. I don't have TV for that reason.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I have a backup
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I've never owned a mobile phone...so indefinitely?
  • simplynaturalfarm
    simplynaturalfarm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    There is a good book out there called "the shallows" that talks about the changes in society and how they have affected us mentally and physically (right down to the printing of books and invention of clocks)
    And my DH is reading a book right now on social media - we keep saying we are gonna cancel this and that, but I have family not in US that we can't afford to call without an internet phone, so we keep it.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    for a looong *kitten* time. The only problem would be not remembering anyones phone number but since I'm in a new country, not that big of a deal.

I don't use phone for much outside of phone calls. I used to use pandora alot but since i moved to Asia, thats out too
  • regosaki
    Options
    Partially the reason I ask is not having a mobile phone, you begin to be more attuned to your surroundings to how people act, and what people do in certain situations. A few months ago, just before Christmas I had reason to go in to Paris for something (I forget what) and was unfortunate enough to catch the bus home during Parisian rush hour (which is a nightmare!!!). Sitting as I was at the back of the bus ( I live directly opposite the bus terminus, I'm not like a tough guy rebel or anything) I noticed the bus beginning to fill up.

Now anyone who has visited Paris or any major city around the globe for that matter, will know that public transport at busy times of day can get VERY busy. In Paris, it seems, there is no maximum occupancy on buses, they just keep packing people into them until someone gets squashed. This I witnessed from my detached viewpoint, but more interestingly I realised that no one actually made eye contact with each other, EVERY man woman and child had their face glued to their little 7" LED screens, there was no conversation, no manners (this is nothing new in France, I have begun to think that there is no such word in the language, yet my GF assures me there is?) no interaction of any kind, (I wasn't expecting a Rogers and Hammerstein musical number or anything) but all I could see from my seat on the bus was an eerie glowing light upon what seemed like hundreds of cramped commuters faces, It was almost Orwellian, and it genuinely disturbed me.

Thankfully I was one of the few exceptions to this and got to witness this bizarre sight....If only I had had a phone on me I could of taken a picture.....DOH! (Sorry bad attempt at humour)

This really was what set me off on the idea of living a mobile free existence....I mean we have amazing tech in the home these days, why do we feel the need to exhibit our gadgetry in the public domain, it genuinely puzzles me that such inanimate objects are worth so much in our society, and that an item of tech that is supposed to bring people closer together could act as such a safety blanket or barrier to 'real' communication?

Sorry if I have gone on a bit but it is an issue of fascination for me, reading your responses (which I am VERY thankful for your amazing input, without you this would just be me raging into the digital wilderness) I realise that I am not alone, nor is this even an original idea, yet I ask you this one final thing, next time you venture fourth into the metropolis be more aware of your fellow man or woman and watch their behaviour, you'll be amazed at how we act sometimes Thank you
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I don't use my phone for facebook/twiter & co. as I don't have accounts for them (I had a facebook, but I closed it last year)... and I don't use it for browsing the internet, even if I can. I prefer reading in the situations I get bored/travel long. I also use MFP from my computer only... and I read my mail from the phone if I am stuck away from a computer for 2-3 days.

But I would not give up the phone a day... I live very far from my family and a daily call home it sometimes the only shine in bad days... I also have sone friends in other cities and I couldn't stay away from calling them. I don't like using computer to comunicate with people.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    O could do without it forever. I never use it anyway.
  • regosaki
    Options
    O could do without it forever. I never use it anyway.

It's amazing how attached some people are to their gadgets!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at how many people can't even cross the street because they have their head buried in their phone. I was on my way into the store one day, and a family was in front of me approaching the entrance. Their daughter who looked to be about 15 had her head in her phone, not even looking up. She stopped at the door, still staring down at her phone, waiting for someone else to open the door. It was a sad sight.
  • SandyHKSunshine
    Options
    I could go forever without the talk/text features! But I love the internet and iPod on my iPhone for working out! I'll often forward my number to the house at night so I dont bother with my calls.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    errr the issue is how long would I survive w/o MFP

This is what I was thinking! I never answer my phone anyway, so I could live without it for talking or texting. But I do like being able to log my food on MFP from my phone!
  • regosaki
    Options
    And another thing, once was the happy time, that, when you saw someone talking to themselves you could rightly cross the street in case they began chasing you, but now with hands free and bluetooth, you can't tell a pigeon chaser in the park from a high powered business man???? The worlds gone mad I tells ya! lol
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    "errr the issue is how long would I survive w/o MFP "

this