Infrequent weighers, come in please

Options
I weigh every day and rely too much on the scale. It can bring my mood up or down depending on what it says. I want to try weighing myself only on the 15th and the 30th in April, just to give myself a break from the ups and downs. For a while, I want to focus on living life without the burden of getting on the scale every morning looming over me. I still plan on following my plan to the letter though. No cheating or anything.

Any encouraging stories on breaking scale addiction?

Replies

• SmorelandTX
    Options
    WW suggests weighing in no more often than weekly, so give that a try. I weigh daily, though I know it may not alway be accurate. If I'm up, it just makes me focus more on eating the right foods and amounts that day. If I'm down, I'm even more committed to eating right cause i feel it's working. Good luck!
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    bump
  • happyheart15
    Options
    bumping again.
  • lyssad86
    lyssad86 Posts: 31
    Options
    I know this sounds weird, but I got rid of my scales (or put them up out of sight, hard to reach) but my Wii Fit. I weigh weekly because I have to log in, turn on the system, and weigh. This makes it pretty easy for me to weigh once a week. It helps me to avoid obsession.

If you want to weigh yourself, you should make it kind of hard to do so. Put it on a shelf that requires a stepstool. Put it in your garage, something! Anything that will help you to live your life without looking at it so often. I know this has helped me immensely, and I feel a lot freer for it.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I think weight is absolutely useless. BMI is such an outdated and terrible system.

Go by body fat or more importantly how you feel.
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week or once every two weeks, I need to know the correct amount of calories I am burning per my current weight.
  • itecson
    itecson Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of neurotic about exercising too and weigh in every day, but I average it out throughout the week to get a better idea of where I am trending - pay attention to those figures more, the every day numbers may include infrequent situations where you'd eat more (birthday parties, graduations, etc...) It's best not to get too excited when the numbers are going down, or too down when they're going up.

Happy Easter everyone! Mahalo and have a beautiful day!
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I think weight is absolutely useless. BMI is such an outdated and terrible system.

Agreed
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You're doing great!

I weigh in once a week on Fridays - I usually eat well during the week and a Friday weigh in keeps me motivated for the weekend. That's when I log my results into MFP. This has helped me tremendously to not be tied to the scale. Monday weigh ins were always a drag for me. TAKE MEASUREMENTS TOO! <<THIS IS A MUST!

Since the beginning of the year I have essentially been on a plataeu - however I have gone down 2 more sizes with no movement on the scale. So I have officially broken up with Jesse (my scale) :)

YOu go girl!
  • happyheart15
    Options
    I know this sounds weird, but I got rid of my scales (or put them up out of sight, hard to reach) but my Wii Fit. I weigh weekly because I have to log in, turn on the system, and weigh. This makes it pretty easy for me to weigh once a week. It helps me to avoid obsession.

If you want to weigh yourself, you should make it kind of hard to do so. Put it on a shelf that requires a stepstool. Put it in your garage, something! Anything that will help you to live your life without looking at it so often. I know this has helped me immensely, and I feel a lot freer for it.

I wish I could get rid of it for a month, but it belongs to someone else, so unfortunately that's not an option.
  • More_Dakka
    More_Dakka Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I put the scale under my bed and only take it out once a month on the fourth Monday. Other than those times, I don't even think about it.
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself monthly and I've never felt happier. I too was one of those weigh weekly types and depending on the number, it would determine my mood for the rest of the day/week. I ruined far too many diets focussing on the wrong thing.

Its not the number on the scales that's important (though its nice to see a downward trend) but the eating well and in control everyday (or as many days as you can manage - we're all allowed the odd off day!). Getting back on it the day after a heavy day is also really helpful and knowing weigh-in day is nowhere in sight is much healthier (for me).

Good luck x

Edited to say: take your measurements everywhere too! Sometimes the inches are falling off but the scale doesn't move.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I know that when I am losing weight I have a tendency to hold water thereby bouncing up and down in weight if i weigh frequently. I don't have a scale so I weigh in on my nutritionist's scale every other week. other than that I judge myself by the way my clothes fit.
  • floridapanthergirl
    floridapanthergirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The scale is not my friend. I weigh officially on the scale at my trainer's gym and that is every other week. I have a scale I use at home and there is also one at my office that I don't pay much attention to because I know they are not the one that counts. I weigh at home in the morning in the buff after I have peed. My trainer says it is not an accurate weight so I don't take it seriously, meaning if it is down, so what, maybe I just drank enough water yesterday, but if it is up, then I need to pay close attention for the day and maybe the next day also. I find this helpful and keeps me accountable without being obcessive. I hate it that the scale and the numbers seem like the only thing that matter.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The scale is a "player hater" i bust my *kitten* in the gym, come home feeling good and the scale just laughs at me. So i told myself i'll only step on it every 10 day.. so far so good.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh everyday, but it really disappointed me.
    So--
    I rid of the home scale,
    & only weigh myself in public once a month.
    Yep.
    Our grocery stores have those digital 25-cent scales, which I use.
    They are pretty accurate, as my weight's been consistent across the lot of them & with my doctor.
    I used to weigh once a week,
    but since starting TurboFire official check-ins are once a month.
    I find using the tape measure much more encouraging, because losing inches is better to see,
    even if I put on an extra pound or two somehow.
    :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    My annual weigh-in is due in July.

I used to weigh daily, then weekly then I just couldn't be bothered to fire up the Wii Fit (which is probably horribly inaccurate anyway).

In the meantime I go by how my clothes fit. My work trousers are a pretty good guide as my waist tends to track with the rest of me fat-wise.

I have one notch to go on the belt, this corresponds to my leanest in the last 10 years or so (my fitness when I moved to Oz from the UK, in fact). Once I get to this, comfortably, then I'm done, whatever the scale says.

How long will this take? As long as it takes.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and rely too much on the scale. It can bring my mood up or down depending on what it says. I want to try weighing myself only on the 15th and the 30th in April, just to give myself a break from the ups and downs. For a while, I want to focus on living life without the burden of getting on the scale every morning looming over me. I still plan on following my plan to the letter though. No cheating or anything.

Any encouraging stories on breaking scale addiction?

My scale is in the closet under two pair of shoes. Hubby will tease me if I pull it out, so I don't bother.
    My SIL came to town for the weekend so we spent it at MIL's. Course they have one in the bathroom, so I was tempted to see how much the diference would be after I ate Easter dinner..... 5 pounds really?? I must have been barefoot the first time. :P
  • zeta30
    zeta30 Posts: 40
    Options

Agreed

Ditto

I go by how my pants fit.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The ups and downs of daily weigh-ins are too much for me. I go by how my clothes fit.