5:2 help

Options
Hi

A few of my weight loss buddies and I have recently embarked onto the new 5:2 crazed wagon. All 3 of us have lost large amounts of weight already.

Our first week wis went well ranging from 1-9lbs!!! (I wasn't the lucky loser of 9lbs though! Very jealous!)

We've all managed it through to our second week and the scales haven't been so kind my friend gained 0.6lbs (lost 9lbs last week!) the other has gained and is now heavier than when she started. And I have yet to wi post second fast of the week but my sneaky peak post my first fast was a gain of 2lbs. Admittedly I've had a rough week with a couple of meals out on my feast days.

We've tried to be good on out feast days usually average of 17-1800 cals lowest being 1400ish and highest 2300.

Can anyone whose sussed the diet give me any tips - idea of cals on feast days what your losses have been like etc?!

Thanks xx

Replies

• camperchick64
    camperchick64 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I just posted a reply to your post in the 5:2 group.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 5:2 for since early Feb and have lost 13lbs so far. On the non-fast days I eat maintenance calories, fast days 500. So I average 12,000 calories a week which is what MFP recommends for my stats to lose 1lb a week.

The weight loss isn't linear - some weeks I don't lose at all and just maintain, but over-all I'm coming out on the 1lb a week or a little more.

The one thing I'd say is to do your weekly weigh-in on a day after a fast day. If you do it after a feast day you may have water retention issues.
  • mizkirsty
    mizkirsty Posts: 21
    Options
    I just posted a reply to your post in the 5:2 group.

Thanks it's my first time using the actual website rather than app so learning where and how to post :) xx
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    5:2 was never meant to be a diet, it's supposed to be an alternative way of eating. There's no magic weight loss secret to it, you still have to create a calorie deficit and if you aren't doing that you aren't going to lose. Also some people have bodies that are already a bit screwed up on metabolism so if you withhold food some days and gorge the next you'll find that your body stores rather than release.

I know everyone had jumped on 5:2 as the latest and greatest fad diet but you'll probably be far more successful at just setting a calorie budget at a proper deficit and learning how to eat for life. If after you've lost your weight you want to mess around with different eating styles it might be more productive.
  • mizkirsty
    mizkirsty Posts: 21
    Options
    I've been doing 5:2 for since early Feb and have lost 13lbs so far. On the non-fast days I eat maintenance calories, fast days 500. So I average 12,000 calories a week which is what MFP recommends for my stats to lose 1lb a week.

The weight loss isn't linear - some weeks I don't lose at all and just maintain, but over-all I'm coming out on the 1lb a week or a little more.

The one thing I'd say is to do your weekly weigh-in on a day after a fast day. If you do it after a feast day you may have water retention issues.

So I should be eating my maintainence cals really then thanks for the tip!!! Ok I'll give it a few more weeks then!!! Xx