I don't get enough carbs in my diet

Options
Hey guys,
Quick question: Where do I get a lot of healthy carbs from?

I don't get enough in my daily diet.

Thanks,

Amanda

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Carbs come from veggies, fruits, cereals/grains, sugars, etc. All of these can be part of a healthy, well-rounded diet. No food is unhealthy in and of itself.
  • markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Define not getting enough? whats your carb intake like? most people tend to eat too many carbs and not enough protein.

Good sources are.

Wholegrain Rice, Wholegrain pasta, oats, Wholegrain bread, Beans, pulses, Fruit and vegetables.
  • mandeeluvsme
    Options
    I eat under 200 carbs daily. I only really eat is bread & rice. I didn't know fruits & veggies had carbs. Thanks
  • markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your weight or height its had to say there low or high. i dont tend to eat over 200 grams per day unless i go out for a meal.

If you have the energy to exercise, your seeing gains in weight loss and are seeing changes in your muscle mass (if your strength training) then there is no reason to increase them.

I have changed my macros as i tend to gain weight if i eat lots of carbs but its each to there own.

Fruit and veg has carbs in although fruit tends to be higher in natural sugars where as veg is more complex and fiberous.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Carbs are one of those things where it's pretty individualized. As long as you're meeting your protein and calorie goals and you're getting adequate healthy fats in your diet, where your carbs fall is pretty much whatever works within your lifestyle and your preferences. It's not something where you need to actively look to meet a goal of grams per day.

That being said - if you're logging all your food and you're looking at your carb goal and feeling like you're not doing enough to meet it, didn't you look at the foods in your diary and see where the carbs were? Veggies and especially fruits have lots of carbs. Are you not eating (or logging) those right now? I would say that should be your first step - before you start worrying about eating more bread or rice, either make sure you're getting 6-8 or more servings of fruits and veggies per day if you're not eating them now, and/or make sure that you're logging all your fruits and veggies if you're already eating them, because you might see a very different picture of carbs (and calories!) in your diary.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I eat under 200 carbs daily. I only really eat is bread & rice. I didn't know fruits & veggies had carbs. Thanks

There is no magic number for carbs. MFP's default macro settings are very carb heavy...about 55% or your calories. If that's what you're worried about, switch up your macro settings. I do a 40c/30p/30f ratio as MFP's carb settings are way too high for my goals.

Also, I'd recommend getting more veg and fruit in there....bread and rice are pretty much nutritionally lacking if they are of the "white" variety. Eat some berries...whole fruits...vegetables. Those are "good" carbs. I recommend switching to whole grains for your rice and bread....more fiber and more nutritionally dense.
  • mandeeluvsme
    Options
    Thanks I'll keep all your comments in mind when it comes to looking for increasing my carbs.