Difference between whole and skim milk

Options
Hi all. I am on MFP since few months, but until this week I had not enter the message board. I found this utility very interesting then I decided to post my first message because I want to restart my diet and weigth loss. The last year I went to a nutritionist and she gave me a list of permitted food. On that list appeared the skim milk on the breakfast but in the second visit I told her that I don´t like at all this kind of milk and I wanted to continue drinking whole milk on breakfast. She agreed. But now I want more opinions. is there so much difference between them (above all in fat)? ¿is there any way to keep the whole milk and decrease fat ingested in other way?. Thank you.

Replies

• shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Skim milk is the same as whole milk if you only drink 2/3 of a cup of whole milk to 1 cup of skim. If you use milk alot, this difference will add up over time to a lot of calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Semi skimmed? If you dont like skimmed, semi skimmed is closer to whole milk?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    After reading up on the matter, I switched from 2% to whole milk. Come to find out, the fats in whole milk are good for you.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    The first time I ever drank anything other than whole milk I nearly gagged. One magical day I decided to give 2% milk a shot. And lo and behold I thought it was great! I don't know why it was different that the time I first tried ten years earlier. I now drink 1%. I think skim milk is a joke. We need a certain amount of fat to absorb vitamins and minerals. I say do a gradual step down if you have trouble tolerating it. May start mixing 1/2 whole with 1/2 1% milk. Gradually increase the 1% and decrease the whole until you acquire a taste for it.
  • Alber79
    Alber79 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you for your answers. Anyway I usually drink just a cup of milk at breakfast so I guess that it´s not a great amount of fat, but I think I will try with 2% milk first.