You won't get bulky!

Options
I just want to draw people's attention towards a blog post on the topic that I just read. I thought it might be an interesting read for many on here. I personally thought it was really good, very thought provoking and might have some use here in the forums (since this topic comes up quite regularly)

http://www.barbellsandbeakers.com/2013/02/28/why-do-we-place-so-much-emphasis-on-you-wont-get-bulky/

The thought that on here, in the media and in real life we always stress this "you won't get bulky" phrase as if it's a negative thing, something to avoid. I think a lot of us have done it, even if that wasn't our intention. Eg: Reassurance, "Don't worry about bulking up, we don't have the hormones for it" etc etc before that's even been raised as a potential concern. I've said it, I'll probably say it again. No, I don't think being bulky or having a lot of muscle is a bad thing, but it's opened my eyes that sometimes in what we say, it comes across as that, and can encourage people (who are rude, and have no verbal filter) to comment "eww disgusting" and the like to images of professionals who've made it their job to build as much muscle as possible.

I understand why we say it, it's usually because bulking up is a common concern amongst women new to lifting, so we get there and reassure them that it won't happen early on. It made me think though, what if they want to get bulky? This is without going into the fact that "bulky" is subjective anyway, as mentioned in the blog.

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I like this:
    You never hear someone say, “Oh, I only play mini golf. If I played regular golf I’d become Tiger Woods – yeck!”
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • x58890
    x58890 Posts: 14
    Options
    That's a good metaphor, BusyLady! I have to remember that!