Ways to excercise without equipment..

Options
I dont own any equipment, and gyms are kind of a hassle to me.. What work outs could i do outside without having to use anything? And would work out dvds be good for inside? Also, what are the best fruits, veggies, and meats to eat.

I am new, everythings a little confusing to me right now, help? :)

Replies

• HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I just bought a weighted hula hoop ($35) and a jump rope ($6). Having so much fun. I don't have time to go to the gym (work full time, divorced with an 11 year old). I can hula hoop I side and jumprope outside and it's been great. I do need to add strength training, but wanted to share. I know you need use "use something" but both items are relatively inexpensive (jumprope at least) and can be done at home.

Good luck and welcome.
  • markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Exercises

Squats
    Sumo squats
    Lunges
    Burpees
    Jumping onto low walls
    Press ups
    Sit ups
    Tree chin ups
    Tire/log/rock throwing
    Over head pressing with logs
    Leap frogs
    commando crawls
    Planks

Food wise if it doesn't grow or graze dont eat it.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
  • jestersand
    jestersand Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I swear by lunges and squats. Both those exercises burn an equivalent in calories as a 10mile jog, being the largest muscle in your body. I also lay on the mat, place a medicine ball between my legs and spread my arms above my head. Slowly I lift the ball to a 90 degree angle and at the same time I lift my arms to reach the ball. I grab the ball, then go back to lying flat in the floor. I repeat lifting both arms and legs, then putting the ball back between my feet and bring back to the floor. For arms, I invested on a cheap 20lbs dumbbells. There's so many trick available in YouTube.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options

I like that!
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Exercises

Squats
    Sumo squats
    Lunges
    Burpees
    Jumping onto low walls
    Press ups
    Sit ups
    Tree chin ups
    Tire/log/rock throwing
    Over head pressing with logs
    Leap frogs
    commando crawls
    Planks

now pick and choose which exercises to do...log on to tabatatimer.com and do 8 rounds of each with a minute rest between them...keep water handy..you'll be sweating and cursing...it's tough...do the exercise at maximum output for the "work" session...use the "rest" portion to catch your breath and then use a stop watch or clock to measure one minute of rest before you press go again for the next 8 rounds of a new exercise... TABATA.COM ...my friend & trainer when I can't get to the gym!!!!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I started running when I joined MFP almost 2 years ago.
    That is all I did from April until November when I decided to join a gym... While I do appreciate now the definition I am getting from using weights, I would say my biggest loss on the scale was from the cardio and all the running I did.

I think everyone else has listed alot of great ideas... you could also just get hand weights and do some home videos. I have done Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and felt it was good.

I think at the end of the day, doing anything is better than nothing...

If you feel like giving running a try, try couch to 5k.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    There are tons of videos on You Tube.
    Squats, lunges, planks, jumping jacks, push-ups...all can be done anywhere. :)
  • c_rolon
    c_rolon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You mentioned the weighted hula hoop. I bought one but the 1st time I used it i got a nasty bruise on my hip and i havent tried using it after that. Have you had this problem before??
  • TorontoGrl
    TorontoGrl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of stair climbing, it's not just cardio, it's also strength training... I also own two sets of dumbbells - 5 LB and 8 LB, perfect for toning up and you can buy them cheap at a second hand store. Lots of great strength training videos on Youtube :)
  • iWantCandi301
    Options
    thanks guys, especially for mentioning the videos i can find on the net (dont know how i didnt think of that before) and the CHEAP equipment i can use at home , feel free to add me .x3
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Exercise - walking as much as possible - my main exercise 'equipment' are my dogs - a walk whatever the weather!
    I have a fitbit to count my steps and keep track of my exercise - any pedometer would be helpful to you.
    I've downloaded the C25K podcasts on my phone and am moving from walking to jogging (slowly!).
    I'm also using a Zumba dvd - great fun!
    Once the snow goes I'll use my skipping rope!
    There's loads you can do - I'm taking on some of the ideas you've already been given! They're really good ones!

Food - I love the idea of eating a rainbow a day - take in as many colours as you can - don't eat beige!
    I feel so much healthier when I've eaten a variety of veg and fruit!

I wouldn't feel confident in a gym - much happier with my dogs as exercise buddies!
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I just bought a weighted hula hoop ($35)

LMFAO, i thought i was crazy when i saw that you said a packet of crisps was $35... then the facepalm moment hit me when i realised you meant the hoop :embarassed:
  • krhn
    Options
    Fundamentally, all of the suggestions mentioned above are all beneficial ways to exercise without equipment - just know you aren't alone as I for one workout at home as well.

If you have just begun then any basic exercises will have a tremendous impact to your body such as building solid core muscles and shedding fat, but note if you want to progress even further during a later period, your going to have to invest in some solid dumb bells. I have a full multi gym but truth be told, i use it only for chest/back exercises - largely the rest are done with own bodyweight and dumb bells!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Tomato sauce in cans can be used like weights
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I fill up empty water bottles for weight and I do 30 day shred from youtube.
  • krhn
    Options
    I fill up empty water bottles for weight and I do 30 day shred from youtube.

Cheapest yet most effective way yet! WTG! :laugh:
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    You mentioned the weighted hula hoop. I bought one but the 1st time I used it i got a nasty bruise on my hip and i havent tried using it after that. Have you had this problem before??

That's common for most of us who use a hoop. You just have to practice more. When you're new to it, the hoop bumps and jumps as you try to push it around. As you practice, you'll get the rhythm of making the hoops roll across your hips. I do a hoop workout a couple times amonth. I like to do 2 minutes of hoop, then 2 minutes with dumbbells (doing different exercises each time, and then coming back to repeat those things for another round). After 1/2 hour of that (plus the bending down to pick up the hoop each time) I've had a solid workout.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    There are an amazing number of videos on you tube. Also check out fitnessblender.com