Weight-Lifting Advice

Options
tpt1950
tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
Hey All,

I was hoping that you could give me some advice/suggestions on a couple of questions I have regarding lifting free weights.

I have been following a program for several months to build muscle while losing weight and I have worked up from 5 lb weights to 15 lb weights and am able to do 3 sets of 5-6 reps to failure. I am finally seeing some good results and just want to make sure I am using my time as best I can for my goal: To obtain lean muscle and lose fat to get fit.

My questions are:
1) I don't really know if I am supposed to rest between my reps within a set - does it matter? (I usually wait a count of 10-20)
2) Should I be resting between sets/how long?
3) Is it okay to do one set of one exercise then one set of a different exercise and then go back to do the second set of the first exercise and so on? I realize this may sound ignorant to those who have been lifting a while, but I want to do it correctly and don't know if that concept is something that should not be done or if it does not matter, as long as I get my 3 sets of each exercise in, to failure?

I find that it usually never takes me more than 45 minutes to complete all my weight training and afterwards somehow, that always seems like I don't do enough (even though at the end my arms tremble and I feel like I can't go on). I would like to list what I do and if you think I need more than these could you please let me know. Please keep in mind I only have 15 lb dumb-bells and a bench for my weight-lifting routine. Also, I do a separate routine after weights which include ab/core workout which includes planks, crunches, squats and lunges. I do strength every other day and run/treadmill/elliptical on the alternate days. Thanks so much for your input and advice - I appreciate it.

Shoulder Shrugs
Seated wrist curls
Lateral Raise
Side Bend Shoulder Press
Dead Lift
Bicep Curls
Hammer Curls
Bench Press
Dumb-bell Rows
Skull Crushers
Also do an exercise where I lie on the bench with one arm up and bring it down from elbow to opposite side of chest (sorry don't know name of this one)

This looks like a long list (to me), but when I can only get through 3 sets of each it goes by in 45 minutes - does that sound right? Am I doing them too quickly perhaps? I don't feel like I rush through them and I am pretty positive that my form is correct. Please give me advice on what I should add, change, delete. Thanks so much for your help!

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    First of all, I have to say, you're doing a great job thus far. What you're doing makes a lot of sense and that's probably why you're seeing a good deal of progress. Nice job!
    My questions are:
    1) I don't really know if I am supposed to rest between my reps within a set - does it matter? (I usually wait a count of 10-20)
    2) Should I be resting between sets/how long?
    3) Is it okay to do one set of one exercise then one set of a different exercise and then go back to do the second set of the first exercise and so on? I realize this may sound ignorant to those who have been lifting a while, but I want to do it correctly and don't know if that concept is something that should not be done or if it does not matter, as long as I get my 3 sets of each exercise in, to failure?
    1. and 2. I think the average rest time in between sets is 45-75 seconds. Some people can be ready to go after 20-30 seconds, while some need a good 60-120 seconds. The factors that determine this could be the amount of weight, the type of exercise, and personal preference. As you've increased in weight, you're likely to need a bit more rest. Maybe go with 30 seconds in between your first and second set, and bump it up an extra 5-15 seconds for the second and third rest. And go for a full minute in between exercises if you're doing them one at a time.
    3. This is fine. Many people prefer this over doing the same exercise three times in a row. Some people will go back and forth on two exercises that are affecting the same muscle group, but slightly different (for example, bench press and dumbbell flys or bicep curls and hammer curls). Some people wil go back and forth on two exercises that affect two different muscle groups (for example, chest press machine and lat pull down or shoulder press and hammer curls). You may want to read up on something called "super setting" and see if this would be something you'd want to incorporate into your weight training program.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/msmith4.htm
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/andy2.htm
    I find that it usually never takes me more than 45 minutes to complete all my weight training and afterwards somehow, that always seems like I don't do enough (even though at the end my arms tremble and I feel like I can't go on). I would like to list what I do and if you think I need more than these could you please let me know. Please keep in mind I only have 15 lb dumb-bells and a bench for my weight-lifting routine. Also, I do a separate routine after weights which include ab/core workout which includes planks, crunches, squats and lunges. I do strength every other day and run/treadmill/elliptical on the alternate days. Thanks so much for your input and advice - I appreciate it.
    Everyone who does strength training can share your observation. Strength training is not meant to deplete you so that you can't walk out of the gym. (other than leg day, haha) You're seeing progress which means you're putting in a sufficient amount of effort and time. Any more than that could have no benefit and some detrimental consequences (injury due to fatigue, for example).

The exercises you are doing are good ones. You may want to add dumbbell flyes (http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/dumbbell-flyes) into your program as well.

Also, I didn't see where you're doing many strength-training exercises for the legs. Dumbbell squats and Dumbell Lunges would be ideal to incorporate into your fitness program to start.

Here's a resource of exercises that you may find helpful: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/ You can filter them by muscle group, equipment available (such as dumbbell).

All in all, I think you're doing a nice job. And it's good to read that you're already seeing progress. You may want to take progress pictures and measurements, and revisit them every couple of months as well. Good luck!
  • lessjl
    lessjl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    sounds like you already got great advice. i always rest for 30 seconds between sets.

good luck!

jeri lynn
  • Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Rest as long as you need to complete the next set.
    If you find you don't need a lot of rest to complete all your sets... Then you're not lifting heavy enough.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    read New Rules of Lifting for Women for basic lifting knowledge and a routine you can follow and check out this group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    read New Rules of Lifting for Women for basic lifting knowledge and a routine you can follow and check out this group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

qft
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much - I appreciate the info and input - you have been a great help :)