Jogging without a jogging stroller...with a 2 year old?

Options
Okay, I'm going to sound like a terrible mom here. So get ready for that.
But I have the same stroller I've used since my little boy was about 9 months old. It's in good shape, I don't really use it though, we walk most places together because I like to hold his chubby little hands whenever possible. He's 2 now.

I'm not a hardcore runner. My run is about as fast as my skinnier friend's power walk, lol. I'm wondering if I can use our big clunky stroller and take him with me to do interval training?

Do people even put two year olds in strollers? D:

I'm a bit worried about him bouncing around all over the place, lol, but I figure if I stay on the side walk it shouldn't be too big of a deal? What do you all think?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'd test it and see how bouncy it is. Are you worried you're a bad mom because you're 2 year old is in a stroller? My 4 year old still uses a stroller, and I don't think I retired the stroller for my now 12 year old until she was 5! If the stroller works for you, and it doesn't bounce him too much, go for it. Otherwise, could you do your initial training without him or at home/ gym on a treadmill and just get a really good carrier (I LOVE my Ergo) and go for nice long walks with him?
  • lessjl
    lessjl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    mine twins would not stay in a stroller past two years old. in fact, they would'nt stay in a stroller past about 9 months, unless they had bottles in their hands and were getting ready to snooze. i have total stroller envy of anyone who can keep their kids in one!

so, if yours will stay in, i think it's a great way to work out. in fact, it's much harder than a jogging stroller. so, go for it!!

best of luck,

jl (who had to join a gym again when her kids turned 2 cuz there was no more jogging stroller;))
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! :D

I dunno how he'll take to the stroller because he's so used to walking, but we'll see :3

The bad mom comment was more because, when I googled it, there were so many mom boards will people ranting about how terrible it is to jog with a little one without the proper stroller. Haha.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the wheels could go funny and you'd fall or trip. I world not do it

Exercise by yourself. Make that your time
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    I personally wouldn't jog with my 16 month old in a regular stroller. The wheels on a jogging stroller are meant to go over every little thing, and it's made to cradle the child as he'll be moving and bouncing much more than going for a walk. I feel it would be dangerous to jog with a regular stroller as it's much more likely you trip/fall or he hits his head off of the stroller. I know jogging strollers can be pricey, I didn't know if i would actually use one or not, so I picked mine up.
    used for $35 in great condition.
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm alright :] I didn't even think about that. The wheels are more fit for walking indoors aren't they? Like in a mall or something with smooth floors.

Thank you <3
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I personaly would not for the already mentioned reasons but wanted to add that my girls are 6years and 7years old and we still use the double jogging stroller (50pound weight limit per seat and my girls are each only 43 pounds now ) and they have LOVED it from the very begining. They don`t use it often anymore but once in awhile like the fair or ride park that we are going to be at all day I still load it up for when they get tired of walking plus its nice having something to tote all the coats and water bottles around in. I have an instep double jogger got it on Ebay for $80.00 shipped and was one of the very best baby purchases I ever made.
  • sburens
    sburens Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I jogged with my daughter in a jogger until she was 3.5, then she rode her bike. My 20 mo old son still goes in the jogger and DD rides her bike.

Do not run wth a regular stroller. Not enough shock support for the kiddos. Plus, it will ruin the stroller wheels.