Scared of Bulking

Options
RodSuarez
RodSuarez Posts: 6,309 Member
So, I realized I need to gain muscle before I lose any more weight.

The problem is, I am scared of "Bulking" and gaining fat with the muscle, I know it is a part of that, but I am really scared of it.

I train 4 days a week:
- 1 Hour Zumba (700+/- calories)
- 90 Minuttes Weights (Pecs and Arms, Back and Shoulders, Legs, Day off due because I leave the city, and then Arms again (Legs are my strongest / best muscle so I don't work them twice a week + they have their own special workout) (350+/- calories)
- Ballet 90 Minutes (700 +/- calories)

Basically I would be burning about 1750 calories with my exercise.

My current diet is 2900 calories a day which lately has been good as I've kept my weight and gained size in my calves (which always makes me happy) and lost about an inch in my waist (which kind of scared me as my goal was 32 and I have 31 now).

What would be your advice for "Lean Bulking" I am REALLY, REALLY SCARED of gaining Fat.

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Cut out the Zumba and the Ballet first of all.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    So, I realized I need to gain muscle before I lose any more weight.

The problem is, I am scared of "Bulking" and gaining fat with the muscle, I know it is a part of that, but I am really scared of it.

I train 4 days a week:
    - 1 Hour Zumba (700+/- calories)
    - 90 Minuttes Weights (Pecs and Arms, Back and Shoulders, Legs, Day off due because I leave the city, and then Arms again (Legs are my strongest / best muscle so I don't work them twice a week + they have their own special workout) (350+/- calories)
    - Ballet 90 Minutes (700 +/- calories)

Basically I would be burning about 1750 calories with my exercise.

My current diet is 2900 calories a day which lately has been good as I've kept my weight and gained size in my calves (which always makes me happy) and lost about an inch in my waist (which kind of scared me as my goal was 32 and I have 31 now).

What would be your advice for "Lean Bulking" I am REALLY, REALLY SCARED of gaining Fat.

well first don't be scared... that's silly.

secondly, if you want to bulk but do it slowly and not have to worry about putting on fat, just eat your TDEE and lift heavy. simple as that.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Are you a dancer? Awesome!
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    Can cut the Zumba, can't cut the Ballet as it is part of my Profession.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Zumba maybe, but you obviously have never done ballet as it's NOT high-cardio as much as it is strength and core work.

obviously keep the ballet
  • RodSuarez
    Options

secondly, if you want to bulk but do it slowly and not have to worry about putting on fat, just eat your TDEE and lift heavy. simple as that.
    Then I guess I just have to keep doing the same and stop worrying?
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    Are you a dancer? Awesome!
    Musical Theatre =)
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    cut down any cardio or do it as HIIT.

Also- it's not like if u bulk that pounds and pounds of fat are going to grow overnight. it takes time...so as soon as you see something u dont like while bulking, change your cals/macros a bit. takes some fooling around with.
  • RodSuarez
    Options

Zumba maybe, but you obviously have never done ballet as it's NOT high-cardio as much as it is strength and core work.

obviously keep the ballet
    Ballet is doing wonders to my calves.
  • Cr01502
    Options

If that's the case you're going to need to eat far more than 2900 calories a day. That's a lot of cardio.

Up your TDEE slowly about 200 calories every couple of weeks.

Strength train and get MINIMUM 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass and .35-.5 grams of fat per pound of lean body mass.

Do this for a couple of months and see where your at. With the right diet and training your muscle growth will far exceed your fat growth.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Then I guess I just have to keep doing the same and stop worrying?

worrying is the last thing you should be doing. stress messes your body up more than anything else. also dude, you're eating WAY too much protein and WAY too little fat. that'll have a lot to do with your body fat level. you actually need to eat MORE fat to lower your body fat.

think about it this way, if you're eating enough fat, your body doesn't need to STORE fat - but if you're NOT eating enough fat, then it does have to store body fat. make sense?

your fat % shouldn't be lower than 20%. HIT YOUR MACROS

PS I'm an actor/singer in NYC :)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

If that's the case you're going to need to eat far more than 2900 calories a day. That's a lot of cardio.

Up your TDEE slowly about 200 calories every couple of weeks.

Strength train and get MINIMUM 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass and .35-.5 grams of fat per pound of lean body mass.

Do this for a couple of months and see where your at. With the right diet and training your muscle growth will far exceed your fat growth.

you don't need to eat more than your TDEE. you just don't. not in your case because i know the look you're going for as a professional actor. i have many friends in broadway shows and who have done broadway bares, etc.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

10-20% over your TDEE and lift heavy.

You will gain a little fat, yes, it is unavoidable, but you will - should you just eat a slight surplus, as has been suggested - gain equal as much or more muscle mass.
    You can always diet the fat off later, srsly. It's not that big a deal, bud - I'm bulking too, it's fun.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    you obviously have never done ballet

This is true.

:cry:
  • Shadowknight137
    Options
    you don't need to eat more than your TDEE. you just don't. not in your case.

OP asked how to lean bulk.

Not how to recomp/spin his wheels.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

eating your TDEE and lifting heavy is not spinning your wheels. the only thing i've ever DONE is lean bulk.
  • RodSuarez
    Options

Need to rise my fat intake, got it! I think I'll run to the store and get Peanut Butter
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Need to rise my fat intake, got it! I think I'll run to the store and get Peanut Butter

but make sure you grab peanut butter that isn't made with partially hydrogenated vegetable oils. you need good fats - and that's a bad one. ;)
  • Shadowknight137
    Options

eating your TDEE and lifting heavy is not spinning your wheels. the only thing i've ever DONE is lean bulk.

Your before and after pics look more like a recomp.

You don't look bigger.That's not bulking.
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    It's not that big a deal, bud - I'm bulking too, it's fun.

It is easy to say when you are skinny, I used to be REALLY fat haha I know I won't become fat overnight but it is still scarry as hell