Any Family success stories?

Options
NewLIFEstyle4ME
NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
Any family success stories? How is your family helping you win your battle of the bulge? Maybe you're the one who is slim and trim and you are the one helping your family get healthy and in shape. Whether it's you in need of the help or you that are helping your family, please do share any family success stories.

Replies

• RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    My mom and I lost all of our weight together. She lost 65 lbs and I lost 90. She hit hers a month before I did in November 2011, and we've both maintained the losses to this point. She lives out of state, but we talk every day.

My husband started Weight Watchers in January, and he is down 18 lbs with about 30 more to go. It's so cute to hear him try on clothes that ultimately are too big and get all excited. He asks me questions all the time about the program, and it's fun cooking healthy recipes together.
  • tommctech
    tommctech Posts: 22
    Options
    My wife and I are taking the journey together. One day in a couple of months ago we were doing grocery shopping. For no reason at all (well other than we were overweight) we decided to make the change. We weren't following a diet or anything, we just bought a bunch of fresh fruit and veggies and searched for some recipes while we were shopping.

A couple of days later I signed us up for the gym and we haven't looked back. I am 5'10" and started at 359 and she is 5'1 and started at 270. Now around 2 months in lim down to 316 and she is at 237. We both have a bunch more we want to lose, but we are committed. I think the reason that it is working for us is because we have made a lifestyle change as opposed to a diet. We basically didnt do much of anything physical before and now we both do at least 2.5 miles of cardio per day and strength training and love every minute of it.

If we can do it, anyone can.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have been impressed by 'network thinness' - how one person's weight loss triggers another. There is even research out there supporting this.

A friend of mine lost 20 pounds and the other people in our band said something. She mentioned she used MFP. I downloaded it and have since lost 35 pounds. Another person in my band saw me loose, and re-joined Weight Watchers and lost 20 pounds. A fourth bandmember has seen all of us succeed and is getting ready to re-lose the 10 pounds she's regained of the 20 she lost two years ago. Seeing other people lose has really helped and all of us are now a bit more conscious of what we bring and what we eat at our rehearsals.

My sister and husband have each seen me lose, both tried MFP and have lost 13 and 22 pounds respectively. Another sister is thinking about losing too and did start by downloading MFP.

My slim 14 year old son - who can eat anything in his pubertal grown spurt - has become even more healthy in his eating. He still loves to eat, but we've taken him out twice in the last few days to great restaurants. Both times he's had a wonderful meal, but skipped dessert because it would taste great, but he was full.

My husband took a long time to really start logging. But he seems committed now. He has been so supportive of me and has really come to believe that - yes, you really HAVE to log to lose. Wanting to lose and exercising alone just won't do it.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    My mom and I lost all of our weight together. She lost 65 lbs and I lost 90. She hit hers a month before I did in November 2011, and we've both maintained the losses to this point. She lives out of state, but we talk every day.

My husband started Weight Watchers in January, and he is down 18 lbs with about 30 more to go. It's so cute to hear him try on clothes that ultimately are too big and get all excited. He asks me questions all the time about the program, and it's fun cooking healthy recipes together.

Wow, you are ALL just a family of sheros and heros...you guys ROCK!
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    My husband tells people he's lost 26 pounds as a residual affect of my diet. He needed to lose it, and is looking forward to getting in the size 36 jeans in his closet, as well as his good suits and being able to button the top buttons of his dress shirts. (Men lose in their necks!)

It's really just a matter of eating better and being a little careful. He's not doing any cardio at all, but he is lifting weights, as he's noticed major muscle loss since retiring from his extremely physical job.

We're happy. I'm 55 and he's 15 years older.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are doing this together. He has lost about 50, and I've lost about 105. He's down to 11% BF! I'm still above 32%, and have another 10 or 12 pounds to get down to "overweight" instead of "obese". But I started at morbidly obese. :)

I have 3 children. The oldest has lost about 10 pounds, but he is too thin... my middle and youngest were about 40 pounds overweight when we started. I'm not sure where they are now, but they have made some small improvements. My middle son has grown about 5 inches, but I don't think he has lost weight... but managed to stay close to the same. My youngest has lost about 5 pounds, and grown about an inch. We recently found out she has food allergies, and I really think her weight loss is from changes to her diet to get gluten, dairy and soy out.

BUT all three kids are going to join our gym for the summer when they are out of school. I'm excited to see what sorts of improvements we can make in 8 weeks.

But it seems like everyone else in my extended family is gaining weight and keeps talking about how I'm inspiring them to make changes. We'll see. They have been saying that for months!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    My wife and I are taking the journey together. One day in a couple of months ago we were doing grocery shopping. For no reason at all (well other than we were overweight) we decided to make the change. We weren't following a diet or anything, we just bought a bunch of fresh fruit and veggies and searched for some recipes while we were shopping.

A couple of days later I signed us up for the gym and we haven't looked back. I am 5'10" and started at 359 and she is 5'1 and started at 270. Now around 2 months in lim down to 316 and she is at 237. We both have a bunch more we want to lose, but we are committed. I think the reason that it is working for us is because we have made a lifestyle change as opposed to a diet. We basically didnt do much of anything physical before and now we both do at least 2.5 miles of cardio per day and strength training and love every minute of it.

If we can do it, anyone can.

What a tremendous dynamic duo you guys are and I'm so proud of you all and thank you so much for posting this very encouraging and inspirational post--WOOT!!!!!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I have been impressed by 'network thinness' - how one person's weight loss triggers another. There is even research out there supporting this.

A friend of mine lost 20 pounds and the other people in our band said something. She mentioned she used MFP. I downloaded it and have since lost 35 pounds. Another person in my band saw me loose, and re-joined Weight Watchers and lost 20 pounds. A fourth bandmember has seen all of us succeed and is getting ready to re-lose the 10 pounds she's regained of the 20 she lost two years ago. Seeing other people lose has really helped and all of us are now a bit more conscious of what we bring and what we eat at our rehearsals.

My sister and husband have each seen me lose, both tried MFP and have lost 13 and 22 pounds respectively. Another sister is thinking about losing too and did start by downloading MFP.

My slim 14 year old son - who can eat anything in his pubertal grown spurt - has become even more healthy in his eating. He still loves to eat, but we've taken him out twice in the last few days to great restaurants. Both times he's had a wonderful meal, but skipped dessert because it would taste great, but he was full.

My husband took a long time to really start logging. But he seems committed now. He has been so supportive of me and has really come to believe that - yes, you really HAVE to log to lose. Wanting to lose and exercising alone just won't do it.

LOVE this post and so proud of YOU and you fabulous family! To be such a tremendous influence on your family and friends is just plain spectacular and I'm so GLAD you've posted this inspiration for us/me...you and your family and friends ROCK, period.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    My husband tells people he's lost 26 pounds as a residual affect of my diet. He needed to lose it, and is looking forward to getting in the size 36 jeans in his closet, as well as his good suits and being able to button the top buttons of his dress shirts. (Men lose in their necks!)

It's really just a matter of eating better and being a little careful. He's not doing any cardio at all, but he is lifting weights, as he's noticed major muscle loss since retiring from his extremely physical job.

We're happy. I'm 55 and he's 15 years older.

What fabulous news...you guys ROCK! I'm especially happy because you're around my age, that's so encouraging!!!
  • CharT5188
    CharT5188 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are on the journey together. We have tried separately in the past and failed so this time we decided to do it together. So on January 7th we both set our minds on getting healthy. Although our eating habits are completely opposite (he's doing low carb, I'm counting calories) we work out together every day at the gym at his work. We even bring our 4 year old daughter with us. She enjoys using the skipping ropes and building towers from the free weights...lol.

So...how are we doing...in 12 weeks he has gone from 281 to 240 (total loss of 41 lbs) and I have gone from 300.2 to 261.2 (total loss of 39 lbs). He would like to lose another 40 lbs or so and I have 66 lbs to go until my first goal of weighing 195 lbs. I know as long as we keep working at it together we can do it. :)

It has done wonders for our marriage.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight and about half way to my goal my husband jumped on board. Now it's a race to the finish to see who gets to their goal faster. lol Together we've lost over 100lbs, and we're hoping to both lose our last 20 or so lbs each. He's kinda fallen off the wagon a little, so I keep teasing him I'll get there faster as motivation for him. Both of our moms have been inspired by my weight loss. They know it's mostly through calorie restriction and light cardio, so it's given them hope as they have more joint problems. They've both lost between 5-20lbs. I originally got started after seeing how easy it was for my siblings to lose weight. I thought, well if my younger brother can do it that easily, it must be simple. lol

I really appreciated it when my husband jumped on board because it made it easier for me to stay motivated. Congrats to all of you fit families!
  • gordismami
    Options
    My mother, son, daughter and I have lost a combined amount of 164 lbs since July of last year. My mother and I go to the gym to work out together every day and my kids go walking with me or will join in with me on my weekly challenges.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    My husband and I are doing this together. He has lost about 50, and I've lost about 105. He's down to 11% BF! I'm still above 32%, and have another 10 or 12 pounds to get down to "overweight" instead of "obese". But I started at morbidly obese. :)

I have 3 children. The oldest has lost about 10 pounds, but he is too thin... my middle and youngest were about 40 pounds overweight when we started. I'm not sure where they are now, but they have made some small improvements. My middle son has grown about 5 inches, but I don't think he has lost weight... but managed to stay close to the same. My youngest has lost about 5 pounds, and grown about an inch. We recently found out she has food allergies, and I really think her weight loss is from changes to her diet to get gluten, dairy and soy out.

BUT all three kids are going to join our gym for the summer when they are out of school. I'm excited to see what sorts of improvements we can make in 8 weeks.

But it seems like everyone else in my extended family is gaining weight and keeps talking about how I'm inspiring them to make changes. We'll see. They have been saying that for months!

How utterly fantastic--I love this and for you to drop well over 100lbs and your family losing and getting healthier--WOW, this is super impressive and inspirational...thanks so much for posting!!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I started losing weight and about half way to my goal my husband jumped on board. Now it's a race to the finish to see who gets to their goal faster. lol Together we've lost over 100lbs, and we're hoping to both lose our last 20 or so lbs each. He's kinda fallen off the wagon a little, so I keep teasing him I'll get there faster as motivation for him. Both of our moms have been inspired by my weight loss. They know it's mostly through calorie restriction and light cardio, so it's given them hope as they have more joint problems. They've both lost between 5-20lbs. I originally got started after seeing how easy it was for my siblings to lose weight. I thought, well if my younger brother can do it that easily, it must be simple. lol

I really appreciated it when my husband jumped on board because it made it easier for me to stay motivated. Congrats to all of you fit families!

Congrats to you and I LOVE your post!!!! 70 pounds lost is tremendous--you rock!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I have a new one...

My slim and trim hubby is now inviting me...asking me daily to go walking, instead of me dragging him to go walking with me...I LOVE that!!!!
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    This isn't necessarily a MFP only success story, but my mom was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a few years ago. Through diet changes alone, she lost almost 50 pounds. Recently, my brother has changed the way he's eating and he has lost a good amount of weight (not sure how much) then after I re-committed myself to MFP in January after a few less-than-good doctors visits, my dad started watching what he's eating and he has lost 16 pounds. All around, a great success! All of still have a ways to go (I have the longest) but they support me all the time and when we go out to eat as a family, they are very conscious of where we go that will allow me to stay within my calorie goals. Good luck to everyone on their journeys!
  • keriberi9
    keriberi9 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My husband and I decided to do this together. We started in August 2012 about two months after our second child was born. As if today, he has lost 83 lbs and I have lost 51 (plus 15 more of baby weight before we started mfp). I don't feel like its been
    Terribly difficult to do this since we've both been doing it! We plan meals and recipes together. I like to enter my dinner early in the morning so that I know how many calories I have available. My mom, dad, and sister have all joined mfp in the last few months as well! It's definitely a life change. I still have about 40 lbs to lose but there is no question that I will do it.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    My mother, son, daughter and I have lost a combined amount of 164 lbs since July of last year. My mother and I go to the gym to work out together every day and my kids go walking with me or will join in with me on my weekly challenges.

:love: :flowerforyou: :love: Soooooo tremendous--LOVE this story!!!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Not a success yet, but my boyfriend and I are doing this journey together.
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    what an amazing story.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!