Swollen Legs

Options
I've never had water retention in my life, not even when pregnant.

For the past two days my legs are swollen to the point I can feel the tightness when I walk and my ankle socks are causing such a dent I'd call it having a shelf.

Is this something to worry about? Google only serves to scare me.

What could possibly be going on here? I haven't consumed any more sodium than usual either. No other body parts are affected.

I'm leaning toward waiting it out a few days before calling the doctor. It's just weird.

I couldn't decide what forum this would go in so I picked this one.

Replies

• 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Do not wait - call your Doc now- This can be sign of heart failure, kidney failure, high blood pressure, and major complications if your pregnant and should not be ignored.
  • jeep1lover
    jeep1lover Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You should follow up with yor doctor. reflect on your diet. Are you consuming processed foods. Foods in boxes, cans or packages. Processed foods have hidden salts. Have you gained more than three pounds in the last 24 hours? If you have sortness of breath and chest pain. Go to the ER
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Do not wait - call your Doc now- This can be sign of heart failure, kidney failure, high blood pressure, and major complications if your pregnant and should not be ignored.

HMMM. I did have a massive heart attack a year ago this past January. Thanks for the advice. I'm calling right away in the morning.
  • jade2112
    Options
    You should follow up with yor doctor. reflect on your diet. Are you consuming processed foods. Foods in boxes, cans or packages. Processed foods have hidden salts. Have you gained more than three pounds in the last 24 hours? If you have sortness of breath and chest pain. Go to the ER

That's why it's so weird. I haven't done anything different or gained.
  • Sarah_L_S
    Sarah_L_S Posts: 121
    Options
    This might sound daft, but try lying on your back with your legs up, agains a wall for at least 10 mins. Or just raised on a table, on a cushion. I had an operation on my foot, and did these to stop it getting swollen. (Although I agree with the post above - if it is severe/unusual for you, go to the doctor.) Hope it's better soon.
  • jade2112
    Options
    This might sound daft, but try lying on your back with your legs up, agains a wall for at least 10 mins. Or just raised on a table, on a cushion. I had an operation on my foot, and did these to stop it getting swollen. (Although I agree with the post above - if it is severe/unusual for you, go to the doctor.) Hope it's better soon.

Thank your for the well wishes. I am sitting with them up right now. Good advice.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would wait until morning--especially if you have had a heart attack in the past.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would wait until morning--especially if you have had a heart attack in the past.

agree