Quiting sugar...

Options

Replies

• Southern_Cross_Girl
    Southern_Cross_Girl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just for those who wonder why I'm doing this...

I stopped eating chocolate nearly a year ago because I didn't really have an off switch when it came to eating it & didn't really like being a slave to something.

I've found that over the past 4 months it's been creeping in in other ways, like cheesecake (yum!) etc. Whilst in moderation these things are fine, when i really monitored my thinking & feeling, the craving for sweet things really affected my life. I'd be cranky with my child, or not present when they were in the room. We'd make cakes but it'd be more for me, or go out for ice-cream but again for my fix.

So I want some control back around this so that it doesn't affect my family life. I think it's a small price to pay really for a better, more present, homelife.

Day 2 and can't say it's easy though. Already mixed honey with marscapone last night! Sneaky sweet tooth :) But I'm in like Flynn for this, so no more cheeky substitutes.
  • JTS_go
    JTS_go Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've lost 13 pounds in less than 5 weeks from cutting sugar out of my diet. That was mostly sugar in my coffee and fruit juice with a cocktail. Sugar is different because unlike carbs, fats, and other parts of your diet that are metabolized for use by your body, sugar can only be metabolized by the liver, and most of it is converted into fat. Watch the Lustig lecture, as previously posted.
  • Bobbyjr72
    Bobbyjr72 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sugar is like a drug. Once you have it and your blood sugar spikes and drops you need more to even yourself out. When I look back at my food log, my worst eating binges have been preceded by wine, or a piece of chocolate or something with pure sugar and little nutritional value. I started the no sugar thing today. Kicking the daily glass or two of red wine will be the tough part. That and all of the Easter candy accumulated by my kids. But I am up 8 pounds off my low of last summer so I want to kick it back into gear now so I am not regretting it when I'm walking around the beach with my kids sucking my gut in like David Hasselhoff on Baywatch. Good luck to all of you with the same goal of kicking the sugar habit.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to quit, I get into a bad sugar cycle and eventually binge like no tomorrow which is why I'm now back up to 62kg from 56kg. It's been hard today while my daughter has been scoffing easter eggs but I stayed strong, only fruit and a little reduced sugar jam on a pb+j today :)
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I am cutting out refined sugar (includes bread, pasta, cakes, biscuits), processed foods and alcohol. Essentially, my diet is lean meats, fruits and veggies. Lots of water and minimal caffiene. I did it dilligently for 4 months, then slipped. Now I am back at it. I noticed within a couple of weeks people complimented me on glossy hair, sparkly eyes and really clear skin. I have also lost 41lbs. Another 80 to go, hence my recommitment!
    [/quote

Is this the atkins diet?]
  • Southern_Cross_Girl
    Options
    :smile:
  • Southern_Cross_Girl
    Options
    I've lost 13 pounds in less than 5 weeks from cutting sugar out of my diet. That was mostly sugar in my coffee and fruit juice with a cocktail. Sugar is different because unlike carbs, fats, and other parts of your diet that are metabolized for use by your body, sugar can only be metabolized by the liver, and most of it is converted into fat. Watch the Lustig lecture, as previously posted.

Cheers, I did watch the lecture, although skipped a few bits (an hour and a half's worth of lecture!) and found it soo helpful. I was giving my child fruit juice all the time b/c I thought it was healthier. We're cutting that down now to only with meals!
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    quit all sugar? all forms? or just refined? theres nothing wrong with a little non-refined sugar or agave nectar...or sugar in fruits...or stevia...
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I read the book from David Gillespie Sweet Poison. After 4 weeks ago. I did biochemistry 30 years ago & he nailed it for me. Cold turkey on all sucrose & fructose. That includes honey. Even gave up my dried fruit muesli. Had one micro Easter egg, but that book did it for me. 180,000 deaths a year due to sugar. See Facebook sweet poison. Wasn't difficult to cut out sugar but most bought foods have truckloads so food has to be fresh / home prepared.
  • Southern_Cross_Girl
    Options
    I read the book from David Gillespie Sweet Poison. After 4 weeks ago. I did biochemistry 30 years ago & he nailed it for me. Cold turkey on all sucrose & fructose. That includes honey. Even gave up my dried fruit muesli. Had one micro Easter egg, but that book did it for me. 180,000 deaths a year due to sugar. See Facebook sweet poison. Wasn't difficult to cut out sugar but most bought foods have truckloads so food has to be fresh / home prepared.

Hooly Dooly! That's hardcore mate! How did you find it? I'm definitely keen to know more of how it was for you.

I'm only cutting out refined for now, still have honey/fruit/stevia, but all in moderation. Might have to have a look at that book but for now I'm happy with my second goal (the first was chocolate).
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    why? Is that how you want to live the rest of your life. If so, I hope you do it. But for me, I rather cut down, because I like sugar and just need to make sure I eat within my calories. It's keeping the weight off years after I lost it that is the battle, and I know I want to be able to eat what I want, just not as much as I want. That's what is going to keep me on the path of a healthy weight.

I wish there was a like button for this comment. I totally agree with this.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Don't send me a friend request. I eat it every day as part of my carbohydrate allotment. :flowerforyou:
  • aperrillioux
    aperrillioux Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    So, I just had a weak moment. I crashed at 2:00 (at work) and started craving a Rice Krispie treat (my go-to bad food here). Fought with myself about it. Decided to go have my peach instead. Why waste a healthy snack, right? But the peach was weird and brown and not tasty. So I threw it away and got the Rice Krispie treat. Sigh. I'm so over having no will power.

I really do want to be able to moderate my sugar intake, because like a lot of people here were saying, it's very unrealistic, for me at least, to give up sugar forever. So here's my question: What is a moderate intake of sugar. Because I can do a Rice Krispie treat a day easy. And a Hershey's bar. Etc, etc. So what would you recommend as a regulated amount of sugar intake? Once a week?
  • Fairlieboy
    Options
    Hooly Dooly! That's hardcore mate! How did you find it? I'm definitely keen to know more of how it was for you.

I'm only cutting out refined for now, still have honey/fruit/stevia, but all in moderation. Might have to have a look at that book but for now I'm happy with my second goal (the first was chocolate).
    Took a few days. My fasting blood sugar is pretty high so that's why I am doing the 5:2 diet to see if i can reduce it. That's one of the measured effects of fasting type diets. And at the same time, based on Sweet Poison, I avoid all products that contains fructose. I.e. sucrose, honey, stevia, juice. Fresh fruit fine. Cravings for sugar (bag of sweets, whole blocks of chocolates) have gone. And losing about a kg (2.2lb) per week.
    I'll get measured after another 4 weeks to check on blood sugar.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I've been on a baaad sugar craze lately! It is time to give it up (again). Last time I did (for about 2 weeks), even the slightest sweetness was too sweet, but then I got used to it again. Looking forward to supporting and motivating anyone else trying to achieve this goal of lessening sugar.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My diet has got worse and worse recently where I have been stressed, then ill, then more stressed and the amount of sugar I have been eating has gone from pretty much all from fruit to triple the total amount mostly from crap. And I definitely notice the more I have the more I want and the harder it is to say no to it. And I am noticing the tiredness, which makes me crave more sugar, which causes more tiredness and I'm into the vicious circle.

I think cutting out processed sugar is what I need to do to get my diet back on track and help with my tiredness and mood swings.

Thanks for the inspiration
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    you know.....your brain needs that to live....
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Cut out sugar? Why would you want to do that?
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Today I did really well. I only had some honey in my tea, and the rest was sugar-free!
  • Fairlieboy
    Options
    Cut out sugar? Why would you want to do that?
    Same reason you would stop smoking if you were a smoker. 180,000 people die each year from sugar is the currently accepted number.