Is my scale broken, or what??

Options
For about 2 1/2 months now, I've been running and going to the gym 45 times a week. I used to do absolutely nothing for exercise, so this is a huge effort for me. When I'm at the gym, I typically do classes such as cardio kickboxing, power hour, and cardio jam; I recently started lifting weights, and that's something I'd like to get into more. I've been running a lot, I am training for my first 5k in 3 weeks. Also, I've been eating a ton more protein, counting calories, and eating a lot more healthy meals (tuna fish salad and Progresso soups are my favorites).

So.... why have I only lost 8 fricken pounds??? People have said recently that it looks like I lost a ton of weight and I'm looking great. While I love hearing that, truth is, I haven't lost that much. I feel I've been gaining muscles, which I know weighs more than fat, but I don't want my nice new muscles covered in fat!! I want to burn that fat off!! I'm 5'5" and weigh 181.4 pounds. My first goal weight is 160.

I drink some water, but not a lot. Honestly, maybe 2 water bottes a day. Could that be he only thing stopping me from becoming the fit chick I'm trying to be???

Replies

• AshCash803
    Options
    I'm no expert by any means, but I do know that the heavier you are, the faster you tend to lose weight (or the more pounds you drop in a given time frame). You aren't THAT overweight right now, so you shouldn't expect to lose a ton of weight super quickly. Also, you say you've been at it for about 2 and 1/2 months or 10 weeks, and you say you've lost 8 pounds. That's almost a pound a week, which is about right for someone your size. You're doing well! You've probably just gained some muscle and toned up a lot. Don't be so hard on yourself!
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking your measurements?
  • avielosesit
    avielosesit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    For about 2 1/2 months now, I've been running and going to the gym 45 times a week. I used to do absolutely nothing for exercise, so this is a huge effort for me. When I'm at the gym, I typically do classes such as cardio kickboxing, power hour, and cardio jam; I recently started lifting weights, and that's something I'd like to get into more. I've been running a lot, I am training for my first 5k in 3 weeks. Also, I've been eating a ton more protein, counting calories, and eating a lot more healthy meals (tuna fish salad and Progresso soups are my favorites).

So.... why have I only lost 8 fricken pounds??? People have said recently that it looks like I lost a ton of weight and I'm looking great. While I love hearing that, truth is, I haven't lost that much. I feel I've been gaining muscles, which I know weighs more than fat, but I don't want my nice new muscles covered in fat!! I want to burn that fat off!! I'm 5'5" and weigh 181.4 pounds. My first goal weight is 160.

I drink some water, but not a lot. Honestly, maybe 2 water bottes a day. Could that be he only thing stopping me from becoming the fit chick I'm trying to be???

Just wanted to say don't give up!! It sounds like you are doing awesome. The thing is... losing weight is so, so slow... but you're doing it! And if you reach your goal 1 month or 2 months after you wanted, who cares? You reached your goal!!! How incredible. Keep up the good work :) And feel free to add me as a friend - I would love to see the daily updates of your huge calorie burns :)
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    haven't lost that much. I feel I've been gaining muscles, which I know weighs more than fat, but I don't want my nice new muscles covered in fat!! I want to burn that fat off!!

more muscle you have, you burn more calories and fat. you may have not noticed a change on the scale, but that means nothing. keep going!
  • srsavaria
    srsavaria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken my measurements, I don't feel I'd be very accurate. YOu're right too, its almost a pound a week which isn't bad. I just feel that I'm putting in soooo much effort, and not getting the results I want soooo bad. I'm discouraged... but I do like gaining muscle, so I think I'll focus on weight training for a while.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    haven't lost that much. I feel I've been gaining muscles, which I know weighs more than fat, but I don't want my nice new muscles covered in fat!! I want to burn that fat off!!

more muscle you have, you burn more calories and fat. you may have not noticed a change on the scale, but that means nothing. keep going!

Keep up the weight training - it improves your metabolism and burns more fat than cardio. 8 pounds in 10 weeks is awesome - I have lost .5 in the last month...
  • AshCash803
    Options
    I haven't taken my measurements, I don't feel I'd be very accurate. YOu're right too, its almost a pound a week which isn't bad. I just feel that I'm putting in soooo much effort, and not getting the results I want soooo bad. I'm discouraged... but I do like gaining muscle, so I think I'll focus on weight training for a while.

You should also consider taking photos of yourself. You never notice how much you've lost or toned until you see old photos.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Definitely do measurements. I just finished a challenge where I only lost 9 pounds, but over 15 inches... I got much stronger, so I definitely gained muscle in there. You say you don't want your muscles covered by fat, but as you gain muscle you're losing fat, so eventually they won't be!
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hide your scale, forget about it. Find another way to chart your progress. I was weighing myself 3 times a day. It's an fools habit. you will never be happy. But I was feeling great when i kept my heart rate low during this mornings workout.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    In 10 weeks you've lost 8 lbs. That's just about a lb a week, which is perfectly healthy, linear progress.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The scale lies! Lock it in the closet and ignore it. Take your measurements and follow you body fat% rather than a scale weight. Look at your level of fitness - your running and lifting - doing much more than you could when you started - and a lot easier than when you started as well.
    If you don't have your original measurements to look at take them now and follow as you continue. Take a look at your clothing for a comparison. Are they loser in the seat, waist, thighs? Inches and body fat% are a better proof of your progress than a scale weight.

Look at pictures from before you started compared to now - your friends can see it even if you can't yet.

Hang in there you will see it too!
  • srsavaria
    srsavaria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good advice. I weigh myself pretty much every time I walk into the bathroom. Unfortunatly, it has the power to change my mood too :(

Hide your scale, forget about it. Find another way to chart your progress. I was weighing myself 3 times a day. It's an fools habit. you will never be happy. But I was feeling great when i kept my heart rate low during this mornings workout.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    also if people that see you regulary can see a difference and tell you, there must be. It sounds like you fitness has improved too. You are on the right track :)
  • RoamingDuck
    Options
    I haven't read all the comments, but I'm sure I'm going to sound like a broken record to you. The most important thing to remember is:

IT'S NOT ABOUT SPEED.

If it takes you a year to get to your goal weight, then that will be a year of healthy habits that you've developed as part of a healthy, PERMANENT lifestyle. The truth is that it has to be permanent, or you WILL gain the weight back. So the point here is, you're doing great. You've lost 8 pounds. Just keep it up and you will lose the rest with time. Hope that helps :)
  • sammiz1
    sammiz1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I took measurements when I started feeling like the scale wasn't moving. I wasn't really sure I was doing it correctly, but I do it the same way every time. And seeing changes in the measurements really did help me when the scale seemed at a stand still.

I also took comfort in other progress....such as...when I went in for a physical and my BP was reduced from 138/90 to 124/80...and my cholesterol numbers were much better. I know those aren't things we can see when we look at each other, but knowing I really was doing something good for me helped.

You are doing really well. As long as those numbers go down...it's all good!! Keep up the great work!
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    You said you enjoy Progresso soups... I know soups can be high in sodium, in which case could just be water retention? I remember reading somewhere that water retention can be worsened if you don't drink enough water, which you said you don't. Maybe try to consume more water and watch your sodium intake and then see what happens? I could be wrong, because so many factors can change the number on the scale (such as hormones), but it may be worth a try. :)
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Part of the weight could be an increase in muscle due to the exercise... or were you already doing that to begin with?
    Could you goal be incorrect? If you have it set up as active or very active and then add all your exercise.... you could be eating too many calories.

Each person is unique, but at 190 pounds I was eating around 2,100 calories a day... burning 600 calories a day breastfeeding... and another 250-350 a day walking. What does it have you set at?