Plastic Surgery?

Options
Something I am curious about, and I personally have mixed feelings about....
If you knew someone who had a great body, but found out that they had achieved this body with the help of some sort of cosmetic surgery, would you be less impressed with their success?
So for example, if you knew someone had trimmed the fat off their thighs using liposuction, BUT had toned and improved arms/abs, etc. by training hard, would you feel that they had "cheated", or not achieved their goals "properly"? (This is an example of opinions others have expressed to me!)
Or guys, would you feel 'cheated' if the breasts of your girlfriend/wife were implants and/or lifted?
I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered cosmetic surgery, and I am curious for the opinions on MFP :)

Replies

• dezcast
    dezcast Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Im fine with plastic sugury :) I dont see a problem with it. I personally wouldn't get lipo but a nose job and possibly implants.
  • shellbellnz
    shellbellnz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Each to their own really. I would be tempted to have liposuction myself if I could afford it. I would be slightly jealous or envious of them perhaps but not sure that I would feel they had cheated.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    i have, and still am working my *kitten* off but i have come to the conclusion that at some point in the next year or two im going to need a few cosmetic procedures to get my body looking somewhat the way that i envision it...

is this cheating??? heck no!!!! age, gravity, bearing two children and the abuse that i have done to myself have left me with a body that is in need of some remodelling...

i could care less about what anyone else thinks...people should worry more about themselves than others...
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Lipo won't help if they just put the weight back on. I cannot wait until my breast augmentation. I've had three kids and worked to get this far. No amount of lifting or deficit will give me the results of the procedure. I don't care if people will think I've cheated :)
  • Zoemarie89
    Options
    When I saw the title I thought we'd be talking about playdough and plastic knifes.

I leave disappointed and with nothing to add to this topic.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't make little bodies out of play-dough.... Does that count?
    Also, if they are anatomically correct, does that mean I'm a perv?
    Playschool certainly seemed to think so.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    For me, the things that impress me about someone's body are more along the lines of muscle and strength. Plastic surgery can definitely help with muscle definition, but it's not going to create muscle, and it's not going to make your lifts any better. And I sure wouldn't consider it cheating.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    When and if you stop giving a rat's *kitten* about the judgements of others. I think you should go for it. Most everything has a stigma to it if you poll enough people. Who caares?
  • Zoemarie89
    Options
    Lipo won't help if they just put the weight back on. I cannot wait until my breast augmentation. I've had three kids and worked to get this far. No amount of lifting or deficit will give me the results of the procedure. I don't care if people will think I've cheated :)

Good for you!! :) I know a girl (well, a friend of a friend) who has had breast implants, but she is only mid-late 20s and no kids... However our mutual friend says that she is the happiest she has been in a long time and doesn't regret her surgery in the slightest!!

I am extremely pear-shaped, and although I currently weigh 117lbs, at 5'3" that gives me a BMI of 21 (approx), which is grand and healthy... However, due to my teeny tiny boobs and mahoosive thighs, I look very out-of proportion and find it extremely hard to find clothes/dresses to fit (most have to be altered).
    I have said to my fiancé, I'd like to have some sort of surgery to "even myself out", but I don't really care what!
    So I'd either have breast implants (because boobs are awesome), which would give me more of an hour-glass shape, OR I'd have my thighs reduced with lipo (and continue to tone and work them very, very hard), to give me a more streamlined shape.

However, I've heard some quite negative opinions about surgery, and I wouldn't want to do it if it meant people would look down on me!!
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

^^pretty much that. I don't have any plans, but three kids will definitely change you in a way that is not always possible to change by hard work. If you want something done, do it for you. Who cares what others think?
  • yogasweety
    yogasweety Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Good for you!! :) I know a girl (well, a friend of a friend) who has had breast implants, but she is only mid-late 20s and no kids... However our mutual friend says that she is the happiest she has been in a long time and doesn't regret her surgery in the slightest!!

I am extremely pear-shaped, and although I currently weigh 117lbs, at 5'3" that gives me a BMI of 21 (approx), which is grand and healthy... However, due to my teeny tiny boobs and mahoosive thighs, I look very out-of proportion and find it extremely hard to find clothes/dresses to fit (most have to be altered).
    I have said to my fiancé, I'd like to have some sort of surgery to "even myself out", but I don't really care what!
    So I'd either have breast implants (because boobs are awesome), which would give me more of an hour-glass shape, OR I'd have my thighs reduced with lipo (and continue to tone and work them very, very hard), to give me a more streamlined shape.

However, I've heard some quite negative opinions about surgery, and I wouldn't want to do it if it meant people would look down on me!!

I love your body shape, I know about 4 people off the top of my head who would love to be pear shape!
  • Zoemarie89
    Options
    When and if you stop giving a rat's *kitten* about the judgements of others. I think you should go for it. Most everything has a stigma to it if you poll enough people. Who caares?

Very true! But on a site that provides such encouragement for exercise and calorie-control (i.e. doing this The Proper Way), I'm very interested to hear what the majority of folk think :)
  • Zoemarie89
    Options

I love your body shape, I know about 4 people off the top of my head who would love to be pear shape!

Do you have boobs? I'll swap you :p
  • It doesnt matter what we think. It matters what the person who receives the plastic surgery thinks. If someone feels cheated because their partner achieved their looks by going under the knife, then that person has issues. People get plastic surgery for all different kind of reasons. Some for health related issues and others for vanity. Either way If it makes them feel better about them self and its healthy it shouldn't matter to anyone else.
  • falcon367
    falcon367 Posts: 116
    Options
    I think it's a personal choice myself. I myself have no issues with it, but I'm sure there are those that would. And quite frankly, if you can afford it, have the time to recoup, what business is it of anyone else? You only live once ... make it count!
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I don't judge. If I had the money, this body would be augmented, lipo'd, botoxed and lifted to within an inch of its life. But well outside the limits of looking fake. Ha!
  • littlehokie
    Options
    No shame in it! I want to get my boobs lifted, they are not perky like they used to be pre kids.
  • Zoemarie89
    Options
    A lot of people here are saying about the effects of child-bearing.... Which of course is unavoidable and totally understandable! I have a few friends who are concerned about their "mummy pouch" that won't shift despite exercise... Seems to be a pretty common concern...!!
    Maybe the NHS should offer tummy-tucks at the same time as C-Sections? "While you're in there Doctor..."
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    The c-section rate is high enough. Throw in a tummy tuck and it will increase even more :tongue: