Replies

• lolinj
    lolinj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I am now watching 'BBC - How to be Slim'.

I'm watching this one now. It's interesting too!
  • Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I saw this a couple of years ago when it was on TV. I was interested as for most of my life I'd maintained a healthy weight without every having to watch what I ate. I think it helps to show that not all slim people are that way because they're careful about how much they eat. It just happens naturally, for them. What I was hoping was the programme would show how to recreate that state in fat people, but it didn't! Although personally speaking, I found that I could do the same thing when I was bigger - I maintained my weight within a few pounds, without thinking too much about what I was eating. The trouble was that that weight was far too high! But it was interesting that my maintenance of that weight was as easy and "natural" as maintaining my healthy weight had been a few years earlier.

I remember that on the programme they had slim people eat extra calories, which was quite difficult for some of them. What stuck with me was that one of them didn't even gain fat - he gained muscle! It's fascinating how our bodies work differently.

We never did hear much more about the chicken virus theory!

See? This is MY problem! I stay at the same weight! I gained some with each child I had (3) and then it just stays there. I can lose 20-50 lbs over & over....and back it goes...even eating calories to maintain!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Parents: Don't MAKE your kids eat.

Kids will often take a bite or two of something and then attempt to toss the rest - I've caught my daughter eating a few bites of apple and then tossing it! Can't afford that!

The difference is, I insist they put food back in the fridge, or at least offer it to someone else, not that they eat it. Avoiding waste doesn't mean eating it right there.
    "afford". making someone eat when they are not hungry is spending your money on NOT nurturing them or properly nutrifiying them. wrong word but you get my meaning. think about it. forcing food on a no longer hungry person or at least no longer interested in that particular food person means the money you "save" on the food is now being "spent" on teaching your child life long lessons about eating past satiation, guilt eating, emotional eating, etc. etc. "afford" to me is not a good justification for feeding someone. If you suspect your child may not finish an apple and you cannot stand the idea of wasting the cents it costed, please for crying out loud, cut it into slices, dip them in lemon water place those in a baggie and then just offer one or two slices to gauge the childs interest in that food. Rather than insisting with screams, hollers, whispers, demands or even the kindest tone that they finish something they may not have room for. (disclaimer: candy-holder-outers notwithstanding).
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Parents: Don't MAKE your kids eat.

Kids will often take a bite or two of something and then attempt to toss the rest - I've caught my daughter eating a few bites of apple and then tossing it! Can't afford that!

The difference is, I insist they put food back in the fridge, or at least offer it to someone else, not that they eat it . Avoiding waste doesn't mean eating it right there.
    "afford". making someone eat when they are not hungry is spending your money on NOT nurturing them or properly nutrifiying them. wrong word but you get my meaning. think about it. forcing food on a no longer hungry person or at least no longer interested in that particular food person means the money you "save" on the food is now being "spent" on teaching your child life long lessons about eating past satiation, guilt eating, emotional eating, etc. etc. "afford" to me is not a good justification for feeding someone. If you suspect your child may not finish an apple and you cannot stand the idea of wasting the cents it costed, please for crying out loud, cut it into slices, dip them in lemon water place those in a baggie and then just offer one or two slices to gauge the childs interest in that food. Rather than insisting with screams, hollers, whispers, demands or even the kindest tone that they finish something they may not have room for. (disclaimer: candy-holder-outers notwithstanding).

Did you read the second half of her statement?
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    bump for later. cant watch it at work
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the link--that was really interesting. :flowerforyou:
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    What did we learn from the video?

It was an uncontrolled study and it really didn't prove anything.

Don't let your kids get fat or eat a lot as youngsters though I didn't see any data that proved that one way or another.

Maybe getting super lean is the answer. Maybe normal to slightly pudgy just leads to getting fat again for a lot of people.
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    bump to read later
  • thumpthumpdrag
    Options
    Wow, thanks for sharing.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

What. The. Hell. Did you even read what I wrote?

I don't make them eat it - I make them save the food if a large portion of it is saveable. As in, put it in the fridge, not the garbage. My grocery bill is $300 per week for three kids, and they are not going to throw away a $2 red pepper because they're distracted, tired, bored, or changed their mind.

Do you even have kids? Sometimes kids go get food themselves without telling you.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this. i've always known some ppl will just never get fat or obese in extreme cases. i've always been very thin growing up. but now that i'm over 30 yrs old. i've gained almost 20 pounds. from thin to chubby! :( also i feel my appetite is bigger than when i was younger. i dont know why.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I am now watching 'BBC - How to be Slim'.

I'm watching this one now. It's interesting too!

Fascinating link, thanks! I'll look for "How to be Slim" tomorrow
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    As I understand the set point theory is that it does change slowly over time to match your current state.

Chonically skinny people into their mid-20s can become fat and have that as a new set point (I did).

I read somewhere, I forget where, when I was first losing that it takes about 3 years for your body to settle on a new setpoint.

What that means, for people losing right now, once you've reached your goal weight you've got to stay on a maintenence diet (instead of being "done") for 3 years following reaching your goal weight in order for the new weight to stick, else you'll just rebound right back to your old setpoint.

I'm now 1 year past being fat, and have 2 more to go before I even consider leaving my body to its own devices to maintain weight.

This!!! Wonderful stuff! Exactly the kind of info I've been looking for. Thanks for sharing. MFP better get used to me... it's gonna be a LONG road. :D
  • RunningTowardsFit
    Options
    Bump- Note to self- remember to watch ;)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Watched this some months ago.
    I seem to, for the most part, end up back at the weight I was before I started dieting at 13 years old.
    I often say, I spent years and years with eating disorders of one kind or another, still battle, and still end up back where I started, which at the time, I felt was huge. I was about 140-147 at 5'11. At my most, eating a crap tonne of chocolate daily, not exercising and eating prawn mayo baguettes daily as well, I hit 150. I guess I am fortunate in that sense.
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Wow, very interesting! What I found the most scary was the part about the virus. I had a cold a couple of weeks ago, and while I kept exercising and eating few calories, I gained weight at my last weigh-in and couldn't figure out why. Now I'm worried I have the chicken virus! :-/

Ha, when I first heard about the fat virus, I wondered if there could be a lean virus. Well, one that doesn't kill you in the process. :(