100g of Protein a Day?

Options

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Protein has a higher thermogenic profile and for me doesn't cause cravings from insulin spikes cravings like ice cream does even if ice cream fits in my macros.
  • ThorATK
    ThorATK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how do you guys GET that much protein in your diet? Also, is it safe to use 2-3 servings of protein powder per day?

Answered your own question: If your diet isn't providing enough protein you can bump it up with a protein shake. This should be the only reason you take a shake, not just arbitrarily. It's not dangerous, unless you choke to death on it
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I get between 100-140 grams a day.
    Edit to say, I am not "bulking" or building muscle, I am dropping bodyfat %
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    OP, I was gong to answer your question, but ThorATK's profile picture distracted me. *drool*
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Protein has a higher thermogenic profile and for me doesn't cause cravings from insulin spikes cravings like ice cream does even if ice cream fits in my macros.

Yep!

I noticed if I add 20-30 grams of protein to a meal it fills me up longer and no energy drops.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    My protein is set at 104.... I'm 125 lbs. It's 30% of my 1380cal diet. It is a good amount for me because I depend on protein for filling me up at lunch.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how do you guys GET that much protein in your diet? Also, is it safe to use 2-3 servings of protein powder per day?
    I eat 146 a day and yes two scoops of protein powder is the only way I could do it :)
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I eat between 100 and 140 grams of protein a day (I weigh 140). I don't consume dairy, so I get mine from eggs, nuts, turkey, chicken, fish, beef and things like chia seeds, flax and vegan protein powder. It's not too hard and protein definitely keeps you more satisfied.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

I get on avg 160-190 on a cut and 200 plus on a bulk. Every meal is protein based, I try to avg 10g of P per 100 cals.

Breakfast: 1 egg, 5-6 whites, 2 oz turkey breast, waffles. That's like 50gs right there for about 400-550 cals

Snack: 2 scoops of whey protein 42-60 grams depending on the brand Im using for about 260 cals top

Lunch: 5 oz turkey sandwich about 20-30 grams can't recall off top

Dinner 2 piece of tilapia or 6-8oz chicken breast and veggies and small carbs. 40-65 grams avg

whey protein is safe, it's a food source. It is just derived from dairy nothing special just makes things easier.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I :heart: chicken

That's how i get a lot of my protein.
  • leighann881
    Options

I eat a ton of meat at lunch. My Clif bars have a ton of protein and one scoop of powder a day.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If you want to try it go for it, but I think the results come from overall nutrition, not just a certain amount of 1 nutrient. One could eat 100grams of protein and get no vitamin C, A, E, calcium, fiber, ect and be in poor health. A well rounded diet that gets your nutrients works best.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    hm. thanks for the info!
    Found this link: http://www.medindia.net/doctors/Clinical_cal/lean-body-weight.asp

Looks like I should be having about 120g per day!

LOL according to that I need 103, I would have to go over on cals or have nothing but protein shakes to get that.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    My protein goal is set at 57g . someone in another post told me to only eat 100g or more if i was trying to build muscle...not sure if thats true or not, but 57g of protein is more than ive ever eaten...i usually live off carbs.

No, it's not true. You're not going to build significant muscle unless you are eating at a surplus. Even then, in absence of testosterone and opr steroids, women just don't gain muscle mass quickly or easily. a half a pound of muscle per month would be great gain for a chick. Again, let me emphasize- IF she is eating at a SURPLUS. You are actually losing some LBM eating at a deficit.

Not true. You can gain lean mass while losing weight in a deficit. That myth has been busted many times by a number of sources.

I would love to see your sources. Outside of newbie lifter gains, I've not read anything conclusive.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    As far as double dosing on protein supplement, it's not gonna hurt you. but best to get what you can from whole foods. Chicken and tuna are great low cal protein sources. I keep both in surplus canned for easy salads. Cottage cheese has a nice macro split and milk is an easy protein source if you have the calories for it.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    i have 2-3 servings daily yes its fine
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

This.

Except you may experience "protein farts". Not pleasant.
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

This.

That was slightly TMI hahhahh
  • leighann881
    Options

This.

Try eating it with a ton of veggies... :explode: